WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAP h5 plots show the norlun/inv trough in a perfect spot

attachicon.gifraph5.JPG

10z and 11z precip are similar. Here's 11z

attachicon.gifrapprecip.JPG

I'm not sure I believe it, but I'll hug it anyway.  Shows the precip picking up between about 22-5z in particular.  We'll see.  Looks like that's the only way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.  

In case anyone wants a primer on a Norlun Trough:

http://www.mattnoyes.net/new_england_weather/2011/01/exactly-what-is-a-norlun-trough-and-how-do-you-forecast-weather-associated-with-it.html

First, what is a "Norlun Instability Trough?"  A trough is a weak disturbance in the atmosphere - in this case, near the surface - marked by lower surface barometric pressure that results from converging wind direction and speed.  Surface convergence of air results in rising air (afterall, air converging at the surface must go either up or down, and clearly can't go into the ground), and rising air produces clouds and precipitation.  Hence, troughs can focus locally heavier bands of precipitation.  It was noted by operational forecasters Steve NOgueiRa and Weir LUNdstedt (Nor-Lun) that these troughs, when inverted (extending northwest from a surface low) and beneath a middle and upper level atmospheric cold pool, could result in very strong, localized bands of precipitation.  On occasion, these narrow but intense bands of snow could produce in excess of one foot of snow, and largely were missed by computer guidance.  Mr. Norgueira and Lundstedt both worked to find methods of forecasting these events, even when computer modeling missed them.  Since their initial study in 1992, computer modeling has improved significantly, and these events often are projected in advance, though placement and intensity continues to be a challenge, especially in more complex setups.

Why is Norlun Trough position sometimes difficult to forecast?  The advancement of atmospheric modeling technology in the 2000s has vastly improved the ability to forecast location of Norlun Troughs.  There are a few issues that still are significant obstacles to the operational forecaster, however, most noteably total precipitation amount (QPF forecast) and placement/development of Norlun troughs when more than one inverted trough is involved.

Latest RAP bullseyes Jebman with over 6 inches.  Looks close to last run.  Maybe it's believable??

Maybe...tho the RAP and HRRR have that tendency to look super consistent only to pull the rug out once it's like 3 hours out. I'll believe it when I see it but the consistency is intriguing.

Archived