• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

This is a tough one. Really going to be tough to determine where good bands set up if they do at all. Could just be some light stuff for a 6-8 period.

I agree.. you can see the hints at banding on all the models. If those materialize, the snow may come down hard enough in a band to slush over roads even at like 1 pm. (The Hi-res NAM is a good deal colder than the GFS at the surface, especially in the northern suburbs.) But outside of the bands, I doubt there will be much impact during the daytime. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.. you can see the hints at banding on all the models. If those materialize, the snow may come down hard enough in a band to slush over roads even at like 1 pm. (The Hi-res NAM is a good deal colder than the GFS at the surface, especially in the northern suburbs.) But outside of the bands, I doubt there will be much impact during the daytime. 

I thinnk you've hit on the big forecast dilemma, the location of the band.  

my point is that they're easy to get wrong and aren't the storms we rely on to get to our season average in a normal season.  i do agree, though, that a little snow is better than nothing...but i also agree with ji's comment that clippers with marginal temps are tough to get excited about it.

IMO they're pretty easy to get right...with a good vort pass and supportive temps, forecast 0.5-3" and you'll be right 90+X/100 for typical clippers.  perhaps it's harder to forecast for right on the lee side of the mts as redevelopment is many times not speedy enough to catch them w/ decent LE, but for anywhere east of say Rt 29 in VA it's hard to get more straightforward.

shot in the dark:

DCA: 0.0-1", boom 1.3

IAD: 1-2", boom 2.8

BWI: 1-3", boom 3.5

Marginal temperatures at the surface and at 925-900 mb, mostly light rates during the day... yeah, I'm not expecting too much locally. Probably should have brought the 1-2" contour even further north, but whatever. We'll see how it goes.

What's the point of putting out a map with a 40% (or is the shading meant to be less) confidence level?  Why not put out your highest confidence forecast?  It's within 24 hours.

Question, what is the Canadian HRDPS on WxBell? It shows a nice hit for the clipper, but I'm not sure what it is. 

I believe it's an experimental high-resolution regional nest within the RGEM. 

https://weather.gc.ca/grib/grib2_HRDPS_HR_e.html

I'm not sure how good it is for our area.  The 12z run is weenie-bait if you're under one of the big bands.

mGLt5CS.gif

You have explained your reasoning and, I think, given the nature of clippers, it is very prudent. We are only talking about a few inches. My expectations are low. Nice to see flakes for a few hours., we can agree on that.

We had flakes here this afternoon. It wasn't that thrilling.

I believe it's an experimental high-resolution regional nest within the RGEM. 

https://weather.gc.ca/grib/grib2_HRDPS_HR_e.html

I'm not sure how good it is for our area.  The 12z run is weenie-bait if you're under one of the big bands.

I haven't looked at it enough to know how good it performs for the area but you are right regarding what the HRDPS is - its basically an experimental high-res regional model within RGEM.  I think it even ingests the same data that the RGEM does, IIRC.

Archived