• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes sense.  But only one solution can be "right", and perhaps not even one of the ten hypothetical model runs you refer to....

I think your map in and of itself was fine.  But when that confidence key is there and has 40% or less, I just take it to mean you may be struggling to interpret the available data or not willing to put a stake in the ground.

As you know, there are tons of weather forecasting products out there...govt, private sector, TV, other media, amateurs, on and on....I don't see how you differentiate yourself when you say here's my map but I'm 40% or less confident in the parameters.

But you are right in that I don't understand weather forecasting confidence intervals or utilization.  I admit that freely.  It must suck to be a pro in the weather business when you don't really know what will happen 18-24 hours out.

You know what solution is "right" here?  Taking this to banter.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you let this not very brief at all conversation "play out" somewhere other than an event thread the night before said event?

It was like 5 posts lol. Some of you are nutty. I think it's perfectly ok to have mini banter in a storm thread. It wasn't distracting to me at all. It's not as if they were talking about the super bowl. Anyway, I have no more comments to make on that. Carry on.

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes sense.  But only one solution can be "right", and perhaps not even one of the ten hypothetical model runs you refer to....

I literally covered every possible scenario (less than 1", 1-2", greater than 2"), so... yeah.

I think your map in and of itself was fine. But when that confidence key is there and has 40% or less, I just take it to mean you may be struggling to interpret the available data or not willing to put a stake in the ground.

Forecast confidence is a bit cover-your-ass, but it's a matter of offering your audience proper perspective. No two storms are the same, and some storms are more "locked in" in terms of snow totals than others. Forecast confidence is a way of saying, "this is what I think will happen, and the confidence is the potential for it to be wrong."

As you know, there are tons of weather forecasting products out there...govt, private sector, TV, other media, amateurs, on and on....I don't see how you differentiate yourself when you say here's my map but I'm 40% or less confident in the parameters.

I try to differentiate myself by being consistently better than others in overall forecast verification. Forecast confidence does not equate into the verification process... ultimately it's what you put on the map, and what the end result was.

Also, I make and disseminate my snow forecast maps for free independent of my workplace, so I'm not really competing against anyone for an audience.

But you are right in that I don't understand weather forecasting confidence intervals or utilization. I admit that freely. It must suck to be a pro in the weather business when you don't really know what will happen 18-24 hours out.

It does suck. Most clients want to know exacts and want 100% confidence, but they also realize that it can never really be that way realistically. Energy/agriculture clients especially like forecast confidence, because giving them a forecast along with the forecast confidence will help them determine how much risk they want to take with their money and the like.

Archived