joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

My facebook forecast for DC proper

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow

Final and only forecast for tomorrow's clipper for DC - 

The Skinny: 1-2", with the higher amounts in Upper NW, and the lower amounts downtown.

When will it start?: 10 am to 11 am is best guess. 

When will it end?: Late afternoon.

Will it be heavy?: probably not, but wouldn't be surprised to see a period(s) of steady moderate snow.

Will it stick?: Yes to grass, decks, car tops, maybe to roads and sidewalks. Could depend where you are. Main roads probably won't become entirely snow covered, but could be some stickage.

What will the temps be?: 32-34

Chances of at least 1" - 40% downtown, 60% above 200'

Chances of at least 2" - 25% downtown, 40% above 200'

Chances of just a mangled slushy dusting: 30% downtown, 20% upper NW

Chances of no snowflakes -5%

Confidence Level from 1 to 10: 4.5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post Matt. Nowcast will be fun. 1" on elevated and grass is my bar.

Ian, I'm with you. Vortography is a solid discipline

This one had an off run or three but it was actually pretty consistent from range that it would be about where it is on tonight's models. A little surprising actually. I don't fully believe in atmospheric memory or whatever but I think there are seasonal trends that probably make a second event like this more likely if the opportunity presents itself.  Still plenty of time for a bust. And partly I forced myself back to basics after waffling too much on the past two events. I think the small ones in particular have a tendency to be analyzed to a point you confuse yourself because you see trends within acceptable error and such. 

This one had an off run or three but it was actually pretty consistent from range that it would be about where it is on tonight's models. A little surprising actually. I don't fully believe in atmospheric memory or whatever but I think there are seasonal trends that probably make a second event like this more likely if the opportunity presents itself. Still plenty of time for a bust. And partly I forced myself back to basics after waffling too much on the past two events. I think the small ones in particular have a tendency to be analyzed to a point you confuse yourself because you see trends within acceptable error and such.

Globals cover the globe and 50 miles one way or the other is meaningless to their overall skill. I think all of us are guilty at blaming a 50 mile bust on a global. But that's not really fair or realistic. I don't see anybody saying the gfs or euro blew a high temp in Pakistan at 4 day leads around here but I'm sure it happens often.

Wes has been paramount in helping me understand models vs reality. One simple rule to live by is when a vort or lp tracks above In winter, expect the worst. When it slides below, hope for the best. Good stuff.

Globals cover the globe and 50 miles one way or the other is meaningless to their overall skill. I think all of us are guilty at blaming a 50 mile bust on a global. But that's not really fair or realistic. I don't see anybody saying the gfs or euro blew a high temp in Pakistan at 4 day leads around here but I'm sure it happens often.

Wes has been paramount in helping me understand models vs reality. One simple rule to live by is when a vort or lp tracks above In winter, expect the worst. When it slides below, hope for the best. Good stuff.

It is mediocre with east coast snowstorms, but it is actually rock solid with Islamabad MOS....

and when it rains 1/4" instead of 3/4", very few, if any, notice

but had that been snow, then everyone notices, weenies and sane people

My facebook forecast for DC proper

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow

Final and only forecast for tomorrow's clipper for DC - 

The Skinny: 1-2", with the higher amounts in Upper NW, and the lower amounts downtown.

When will it start?: 10 am to 11 am is best guess. 

When will it end?: Late afternoon.

Will it be heavy?: probably not, but wouldn't be surprised to see a period(s) of steady moderate snow.

Will it stick?: Yes to grass, decks, car tops, maybe to roads and sidewalks. Could depend where you are. Main roads probably won't become entirely snow covered, but could be some stickage.

What will the temps be?: 32-34

Chances of at least 1" - 40% downtown, 60% above 200'

Chances of at least 2" - 25% downtown, 40% above 200'

Chances of just a mangled slushy dusting: 30% downtown, 20% upper NW

Chances of no snowflakes -5%

Confidence Level from 1 to 10: 4.5

You could have saved yourself some time and just posted "It might snow a little bit tomorrow but I really have no idea on the specifics"

A good title for you post would have been "Here's where I throw spaghetti"

You could have saved yourself some time and just posted "It might snow a little bit tomorrow but I really have no idea on the specifics"

A good title for you post would have been "Here's where I throw spaghetti"

You have 3 computers...Of course I'm never going to out-forecast you..not one...not 2...but 3....I'm still amazed

Archived