joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't understand forecast confidence.

For your profession, that is true.

But I don't see how you are differentiating your product from the others that are available.

Comment not intended as an insult....just seems of low utility when you put something like that out, when you state low confidence in your assessment.

Last clipper ended up a little south of even the last runs. Timing is a bit worse this time.

Timing is my main concern... Tho the city is still torching right now hopefully it cools a bit. One plus is a little more clear skies tonight. I'd probably bet earlier than the 0z model consensus.. Noon seems awful late but I'm on my phone and have only briefly looked at NCEP.

But I don't see how you are differentiating your product from the others that are available.

Comment not intended as an insult....just seems of low utility when you put something like that out, when you state low confidence in your assessment.

He could put out a forecast with 100% confidence, but it would have an inch of snow in Blue Knob PA, and nothing else anywhere else.

Timing is my main concern... Tho the city is still torching right now hopefully it cools a bit. One plus is a little more clear skies tonight. I'd probably bet earlier than the 0z model consensus.. Noon seems awful late but I'm on my phone and have only briefly looked at NCEP.

Typical radiating spots are doing well tonight, some upper 20s out there. I'm 37 and it looks like some 40s in the district proper.

Typical radiating spots are doing well tonight, some upper 20s out there. I'm 37 and it looks like some 40s in the district proper.

All the local wxbugs are 41. Warmer than DCA! :( and not too pretty dews either. But it is considerably colder as soon as you get out of the city.

It's all a matter of forecast spread.

Think of forecast confidence as a run of the forecast models. Ten models run, four give 1-2", three give less than 1", and three give more than 2". That means there's a 40% forecast confidence that it will be 1-2", which is also the most likely scenario. My forecast is what I think is most likely, but there's a large amount of spread in the possible amounts.

It's all a matter of forecast spread.

Think of forecast confidence as a run of the forecast models. Ten models run, four give 1-2", three give less than 1", and three give more than 2". That means there's a 40% forecast confidence that it will be 1-2", which is also the most likely scenario. My forecast is what I think is most likely, but there's a large amount of spread in the possible amounts.

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes sense.  But only one solution can be "right", and perhaps not even one of the ten hypothetical model runs you refer to....

I think your map in and of itself was fine.  But when that confidence key is there and has 40% or less, I just take it to mean you may be struggling to interpret the available data or not willing to put a stake in the ground.

As you know, there are tons of weather forecasting products out there...govt, private sector, TV, other media, amateurs, on and on....I don't see how you differentiate yourself when you say here's my map but I'm 40% or less confident in the parameters.

But you are right in that I don't understand weather forecasting confidence intervals or utilization.  I admit that freely.  It must suck to be a pro in the weather business when you don't really know what will happen 18-24 hours out.

Archived