joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper Thread

84 Hour NAM

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never argued clippers are the best snows ever or something but they are a regular part of our cilmo. Not sure why that's so hard for some people to wrap their minds around.  1" is better than 0" if you like snow.. and they do perform better at times. If a clipper is going to totally suck we usually know early and don't even pay much attention.  Given we've had one good one the odds are probably higher than normal of another this winter. Yeah, temps aren't as good, and it might fail, but classic example of this forum focusing on fairies more than real stuff. 

Not at all in reference to being the best snows. I was trying to imply the differences in track tendencies from season to season. One year they are way north in New England, then another down into the Carolinas, but this year, DMV ground zero :)

GFS is not the best depiction for the 95 corridor. The 2 maxes scenario is what dials this thing back come game time. If we can get an organized precip shield in here before 11AM even, things would be okay. However, judging by models and radar and the current short term models, thats unlikely. 

terrible at BWI only .09" with 1PM temps 2.5c

I'll chalk this up to a blip of the GFS and not the start of another last minute collapse

he said:

FROM MY EXPERIENCE HERE (AND THIS GOES BACK TO THE 80S AS A KID), CLIPPERS HAVE A TENDENCY TO GET MANGLED AS THEY CROSS THE MOUNTAINS.  THEY ARE THE SOURCE OF MANY BUSTS.  THE LAST CLIPPER HAD REAL COLD TEMPS.  WITHOUT THOSE TEMPS, THAT CLIPPER IS A NON-ACCUMULATING MESS (OR ACTUALLY IT MAY HAVE GONE NORTH OF US INSTEAD).

lol yea i'm not sure what i missed

huh?

my point is that they're easy to get wrong and aren't the storms we rely on to get to our season average in a normal season.  i do agree, though, that a little snow is better than nothing...but i also agree with ji's comment that clippers with marginal temps are tough to get excited about it.

Odds there's some sort of school related meltdown tomorrow? 

They are probably hosed no matter which way they end up going. The start time hurts everybody because if it over-performs mid morning there will probably be early release and we all know how buses do in the snow

They are probably hosed no matter which way they end up going. The start time hurts everybody because if it over-performs mid morning there will probably be early release and we all know how buses do in the snow

Except that it's a day event with temperatures aoa freezing. I don't disagree that everyone will be a critique but i doubt the roads get snow covered.

Was talking to the front office at my girls school. They would prefer a earlier start to this as a early dismissal is hectic.

Except that it's a day event with temperatures aoa freezing. I don't disagree that everyone will be a critique but i doubt the roads get snow covered.

Temps could easily dip to 29-30F in the heavier bands, so I think the roads could be a problem.

The dilemma is that the heaviest precip won't come until late morning/early afternoon, so the question is cancel school before precip arrives, or let it play out and allow for early dismissal?

Temps could easily dip to 29-30F in the heavier bands, so I think the roads could be a problem.

The dilemma is that the heaviest precip won't come until late morning/early afternoon, so the question is cancel school before precip arrives, or let it play out and allow for early dismissal?

This is a tough one. Really going to be tough to determine where good bands set up if they do at all. Could just be some light stuff for a 6-8 period.

Treated roads probably shouldnt be an issue, but yeah untreated stuff will probably be slick, but not sure about complete snow covered.

Archived