12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cracked last night. I'm probably taking a step back from the computer today but I'm in optimism overdrive. 

The NAM panic is just weird to watch in there. 

Is it that bad? I have never been a rubber necker. I can resist looking. Decided after yesterdays awful pbp/meltdowns I would not venture in that thread during model output cycles. Its disturbing.

Today's the 15 year anniversary of January 25, 2000 Maybe we can get a last-second miracle here too?  :(

Man, this one hurts. I wish we could go back to the relatively uncomplicated solutions from last Thursday/Friday: a few inches for pretty much only us to maybe Philly. Now we have a coastal that's going to crush Philly-Bos while we get screwed. Then again, I also wish I didn't give a crap about snow...alas, I do. I wouldn't even mind as much if Boston got 2 feet while we got nothing, but for places so close to us to be getting a good storm...just awful. It was one thing earlier in the winter when everyone in the east was having a terrible winter with us, but now that's obviously about to change. 

I suppose there is still some time left for some changes in our favor, but I'd imagine the writing is pretty much on the wall for this one. 

Also, I don't understand the 09-10 pay back stuff. Yes, we had a warning event on Jan 30 that NYC missed out on and NYC missed out on Feb 5/6. But PHL did almost as well as us, and NYC got 20"+ with the late February storm that we missed out on. 

Once you get rolling into looking at one model, and it looks bad, you start looking at more and more. Generally I don't care what other people think. I take it under advisement but it doesn't make me uber excited or want to bridge jump. Seeing that absurd contrast (on one euro run) was too much for me to bear :P

Also, I'm still new here. Last year I expected zero snow coming from CT and we produced a great winter. I'm not used to a bloodbath. Until I see one, which could very well be tonight, my soul remains intact. 

Boxing Day 2010 down here, when I flew me and my family back early from Christmas to beat the storm was when I first experienced the sadness. You never forget your first time. 

Boxing Day 2010 down here, when I flew me and my family back early from Christmas to beat the storm was when I first experienced the sadness. You never forget your first time. 

This event does bear some resemblance to 2010 for sure. I was supposed to get 1 foot+ in that event, I guess in retrospect I was lucky to get 5". But eastern DE had 15. Even tho the Euro has me getting a foot for this event, no other model is even close. I think 3-6 is reasonable for here, but my bar is basically 3. The cutoff for heavy snow is going to be wicked and it seems it will be just NE of our area.

When the NAM shows what we expect to see from this storm evolution it isn't that odd.

That's the problem.  If the thelow track across TN instead of KY, the inital band would have probably gotten to us enough to give us a models snowstorm but a track into WV keeps the inital band to our north and dealys the feed of cold air until the low starts cranking offshore. Ahing to realy on precip warping back into us or having some kind of strange banding feature to develop happens way more on the models then in real life. 

Yes. Each of the 3 09'-'10 storms had a blizzard warning for a time for a part of the area.

I don't recall ever being under a blizzard watch since I moved here in August of 2009.

Yeah, it was '09-10.  There were blizzard warnings for some counties in the area for Dec. '09 and Feb. 5-6, '10 due to wind in some areas meeting the criteria.  However, the Feb. 9-10 event was an area-wide blizzard (40MPH gusts, temps dropped into the low 20s, and blinding whiteout conditions on the 10th).

ETA:  Blizzard watches are kind of rare, though I've seen them pop up now and then (not here, but other areas of the country). 

Archived