• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Banter Thread

H2O

It may look pretty good next 7-10 days but if everything crumbles inside 48 hours then is it really pretty good? This should have been an easy win for most of the forum. We just had a Miller A that was mostly rain. It's almost Feb with nothing on the horizon. Maybe it's just not gonna happen this year at least for some of us.

It's not a shutout pattern. We've had plenty of those. And we average around 9" of rain in DJF. This winter in kinda "normal" for around here in many ways and we have 3 weeks of peak climo to see what happens. It's all about chances. I'd rather have chances that don't go as planned than an awful pattern with zero chance. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a shutout pattern. We've had plenty of those. And we average around 9" of rain in DJF. This winter in kinda "normal" for around here in many ways and we have 3 weeks of peak climo to see what happens. It's all about chances. I'd rather have chances that don't go as planned than an awful pattern with zero chance. 

I know it sucks because we're getting screwed, but we just had a respectable clipper, a juicy Miller A and now we're having a gawddamn KU in a matter of 5 days.  We're having chances here.  I think we'll have more chances.   

I know people don't want to hear it right now in our subforum, but the 8-day analogs worked out pretty well for the period centered around tomorrow. This storm just seems like a variation on 1/22/05, except perhaps suckier for us. Storm signal for DC through Maine was strong, and that's certainly verifying.

I have a bad feeling that this won't be the last major shafting we get this winter.

I know it sucks because we're getting screwed, but we just had a respectable clipper, a juicy Miller A and now we're having a gawddamn KU in a matter of 5 days. We're having chances here. I think we'll have more chances.

What makes it worse is that I've gotten a grand total of 0.75" of snow and well over 1" of cold rain from it all so far. I don't need chances. I need *results*!

I know it sucks because we're getting screwed, but we just had a respectable clipper, a juicy Miller A and now we're having a gawddamn KU in a matter of 5 days.  We're having chances here.  I think we'll have more chances.

Correct. Still doesn't feel good. Three weeks to sun angle references here. Sigh.

Convo I just had with my wife:

Wife: I'm kinda bummed we aren't getting much snow - I really wanted some. I'm guessing there aren't many who feel the same.

Me: You'd be surprised - you want to hear some truly depressed people?

I then read some highlights from the past few pages to her. Suffice to say, she feels better now... lol...

I know people don't want to hear it right now in our subforum, but the 8-day analogs worked out pretty well for the period centered around tomorrow. This storm just seems like a variation on 1/22/05, except perhaps suckier for us. Storm signal for DC through Maine was strong, and that's certainly verifying. 

I think most in our forum have a pretty negative view of 1/22/05. Classic Miller B shaft, and even those of us who saw some snow got much less than we hoped for. 

Does MECS mean Miss Every Coastal Storm?  If so, then you are probably right.

Chin up. You live near Winchester... it is a snow town.

I pulled the trigger and booked two nights in NYC.  Leaving early tomorrow morning.  I was undecided between BOS and NYC but already went to BOS for Feb '13 and wanted something closer and different.  My biggest concern is getting fringed compared to BOS.  Hopefully the GFS ticks west and looks like the Euro.  You can follow me on youtube at Thesquiggyacfd.  I will try to post as many vids as possible.  I hate that I need to spend money to get my fix but this area blows during the winter.....

Awesome! Hope you enjoy and share your experience and some pics!

Good luck. I thought about it, but I just wouldn't be able to handle leaving that and coming back to brown grass and mud. 

I'd chase tors and epic lake effect. Fortunately, I had my 30" fix in 2013 

I got my 27" fix in 2013... went to SNE and experienced a New England blizzard after several terrible mid-Atlantic winters. I'm not as desperate for snow now as I was back then. Coming back sucked, but for me it sure as hell didn't take away from what I experienced up there.

It may look pretty good next 7-10 days but if everything crumbles inside 48 hours then is it really pretty good? This should have been an easy win for most of the forum. We just had a Miller A that was mostly rain. It's almost Feb with nothing on the horizon. Maybe it's just not gonna happen this year at least for some of us.

Maybe it will.

I have a bad feeling that this won't be the last major shafting we get this winter.

Perhaps not, but most winters with at least one big shaft aren't necessarily terrible overall. We could get a storm some time in Feb.

Yup. I understand and respect people trying to stay positive, but I'm having a hard time. For some reason, this has really punched me in the gut.

I have two NNJ friends constantly fb messaging me updates on model runs for the past few days on how the Euro or some other model shows 20-25"+, and how excellent the H5 looks, and the BLIZZARD WARNINGS and wxbell snow maps putting them in bright pink and lime green.

Sometimes I ignore their messages but for the most part I don't react even if I feel upset inside. There's something insane about me that makes me keep tracking this even though I know I'm missing it for the most part.

Archived