Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm under a winter storm watch and a prepare to be despised watch.

I am still a bit worried about this area. We are in the edge. High bust potential IMO. Slight shift and nothing. I am on the border of Cecil County MD and New Castle in Delaware. I am planning for anywhere from 2-15 inches. Not a lock like it is up in NYC.

I am still a bit worried about this area. We are in the edge. High bust potential IMO. Slight shift and nothing. I am on the border of Cecil County MD and New Castle in Delaware. I am planning for anywhere from 2-15 inches. Not a lock like it is up in NYC.

You are correct. Same with my location. This area is definitely the wildcard. Could easily get shafted.

WxWatcher007, I love your Mid-Atlantic Cancel Index sig.

Just out of curiosity, could you describe the conditions that would merit a 10 rating?

Ian and Ji meeting dueling in mortal combat with empty snow plows somewhere along a dry Rt. 7? Weather gang warfare between DC and Philly? Someone beating Zwyts with a giant sign that says "next"?

I'm reminded of a very funny map mapgirl put together, maybe last year. Our region was divided into sections, e.g. Parkton, Westminster etc. was like "Siberia". I was in the "We Get Lucky Sometimes" zone.

Actually Westminster to Manchester is a micro climate that differs from Parkton, Reisterstown, Gamber, etc. It might not seem a lot different looking at numbers but in certain events it can be worlds apart. Westminster- Manchester averages around 36 inches of snow annually( there's your Siberia), where the other places mentioned are more in the 28-31 inch range. I lived in Carroll County just south of Westminster for 12 years so I know the climo well. 

I cracked for the first time last night and I put myself back together, but I'm starting to crack again and this time I don't think it can be fixed. Dealing with that by myself wouldn't be a good idea lol.

I mean, even a snow day and a little accumulation would make a big difference for my psyche, and I'm not sure we even get that right now.

For me unfortunately, the coming bloodbath will be a totally unique experience in my memory.

If you're here for more than another year, it won't be the last time, and it doesn't get any easier. Hope that thought helps you sleep well tonight! :lol:

I cracked for the first time last night and I put myself back together, but I'm starting to crack again and this time I don't think it can be fixed. Dealing with that by myself wouldn't be a good idea lol.

I mean, even a snow day and a little accumulation would make a big difference for my psyche, and I'm not sure we even get that right now. 

For me unfortunately, the coming bloodbath will be a totally unique experience in my memory. 

The only good thing with this system is that the rug won't be pulled out from under us as the storm gets underway, a la Boxing Day.  Take solace in that!  :)

If anyone (other than my family) gives a sh-t what I think, this is what I gave them (total for both days):

DC: 1-3"

Columbia: 2-5"

Baltimore: 2-5"

Bel Air: 5-9"

Cecil county: 6-10"

I honestly think that is bullish for balt south. If we were going to be colder overnight I think that might be ok. I have a hunch that the 95 corridor gets skunked (or a slushy 1" or less) overnight and morning that melts off before anything refires later in the day. And anything that does refire will likely be hit and miss and quicker to exit than we think, This one really has that feel of a complete SJ until you get up into the norther tier and 30+ miles west.

Bel Air and Cecil are proably in the best spot for boom but it's going to be dependent on a lot of things breaking right. And nothing has broken right with this one so far it seems. I'm questioning whether I get an honest inch to measure.  

I honestly think that is bullish for balt south. If we were going to be colder overnight I think that might be ok. I have a hunch that the 95 corridor gets skunked (or a slushy 1" or less) overnight and morning that melts off before anything refires later in the day. And anything that does refire will likely be hit and miss and quicker to exit than we think, This one really has that feel of a complete SJ until you get up into the norther tier and 30+ miles west.

Bel Air and Cecil are proably in the best spot for boom but it's going to be dependent on a lot of things breaking right. And nothing has broken right with this one so far it seems. I'm questioning whether I get an honest inch to measure.

Atta boy, Bob. Join the dark side!

Atta boy, Bob. Join the dark side!

I already did yesterday. Nobody wanted to hear what I had to say because "there was still time". I got re-interested today with the possible norlun but those are always low probability and very tough to pinpoint. They're also very uncommon at our latitude compared to areas further north. 

I'd just like 4" total for this event.  That's what I was promised a couple days ago before 40N got gifted a bonus HECS out of nowhere.  I certainly don't envy forecasters in our area. 

This.

Do you see any more chances in the long range, or is this really "it" as far as big east coast storm potential this season?

There is no solace, only a growing sense of impending doom.

That you were. You are a vet with these lol. I was a noob. I had hope. In order to know the true depth of despair, one must first have hope. The hope-despair ratio is rapidly shifting and right now I don't ever want it to shift back. Save me the pain.

Just go ahead and skip to DEFCON 10 and get it over with.

Yeah, certainly possible.  I'm glad I'm not getting paid to make a forecast right now.  When I was forecasting for DC/Baltimore area, our criteria was 2" in 24 hours.  That would be a really tough call right now, although I'd probably have leaned conservative and issued. 

Archived