Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Banter Thread

H2O

This.

Do you see any more chances in the long range, or is this really "it" as far as big east coast storm potential this season?

I don't think this is the end of winter by any means.  If I can somehow scrape 4" out of this by Tuesday, I think I still have a good chance at climo.  Even if we only get 1-2" I think we might have a shot. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this is the end of winter by any means.  If I can somehow scrape 4" out of this by Tuesday, I think I still have a good chance at climo.  Even if we only get 1-2" I think we might have a shot. 

Climo for me would mean 17" more this season. I'll take it!

I might be the only one feeling this since you were out for a while and others are used to this kind of thing, but if this proceeds to blank us the only thing that will salvage the winter for me will be some kind of MECS with us in the bulls eye. Clippers bringing me to climo will not outweigh this all timer of a turnaround.

Honestly I'd like another Feb 2010... if Dec 2010 can keep happening over and over, no reason why Feb 6, 2010 can't. We've gotta have some kind of payback

/weenie

Ok, I'm going out on a limb with my weenie prediction. Forget the primary, it's beat. It's to warm anyway. The coastal takes off and pushes heavy snow right up to PG county and cuts off very sharply. DC/west gets 0 (sorry DC). AA county/east gets into steady snow tomorrow night. Thats my gut feeling and I'm sticking with it. I've been living here my entire life. I've read this book before.

PD2 is #2 analog at D8.

500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

I know people don't want to hear it right now in our subforum, but the 8-day analogs worked out pretty well for the period centered around tomorrow. This storm just seems like a variation on 1/22/05, except perhaps suckier for us. Storm signal for DC through Maine was strong, and that's certainly verifying. 

I know people don't want to hear it right now in our subforum, but the 8-day analogs worked out pretty well for the period centered around tomorrow. This storm just seems like a variation on 1/22/05, except perhaps suckier for us. Storm signal for DC through Maine was strong, and that's certainly verifying. 

Yeah, no doubt.  This time period was advertised for ~2 weeks as having potential.  We're going to get screwed, but it's going to produce a KU.  Pattern going forward still looks good...really good maybe.  We're not done by a long shot. 

TWC is airing some program about plane crashes now. That's actually rather relevant programing for our area.

They should follow it up with a special on weather-related suicides from jumping off bridges. Who needs to see Cantore in Central Park oohing and aahhing over a blizzard. Been there, done that, Jim. You want real innovative programming, TWC? Convene a panel of embittered snow lovers in DC/MD/VA, put in a seven-second delay, and let 'em go uncensored. Arm them with samurai swords and set up blown-up displays of Euro snow totals for the NE quadrant. Hopefully the use of the swords will be limited to the displays. But if not, bonus rating points!

I pulled the trigger and booked two nights in NYC.  Leaving early tomorrow morning.  I was undecided between BOS and NYC but already went to BOS for Feb '13 and wanted something closer and different.  My biggest concern is getting fringed compared to BOS.  Hopefully the GFS ticks west and looks like the Euro.  You can follow me on youtube at Thesquiggyacfd.  I will try to post as many vids as possible.  I hate that I need to spend money to get my fix but this area blows during the winter.....

I pulled the trigger and booked two nights in NYC.  Leaving early tomorrow morning.  I was undecided between BOS and NYC but already went to BOS for Feb '13 and wanted something closer and different.  My biggest concern is getting fringed compared to BOS.  Hopefully the GFS ticks west and looks like the Euro.  You can follow me on youtube at Thesquiggyacfd.  I will try to post as many vids as possible.  I hate that I need to spend money to get my fix but this area blows during the winter.....

Have fun!  Post some pics

Talking this out with people who (mostly) get it is helping me out. But wrt the thread, I imagine this is only the beginning. When we rain/dryslot while the Philly folks come and and do drive by pot shots and deck pics...that will be scary. 

You know some jerk from the NYC thread will come in here during the height of the storm and post a picture of 4"/hour rates and 24" already piled up outside their house.  

This has been anointed storm "Juno." Juno was, under Roman mythology, queen of the gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juno_%28mythology%29

From the Wiki:

Juno's theology is one of the most complex and disputed issues in Roman religion. Even more than other major Roman deities, Juno held a large number of significant and diverse epithets, names and titles ..."

I can think of a few more epithets to assign the old gal after this storm is done ...

Yeah, no doubt.  This time period was advertised for ~2 weeks as having potential.  We're going to get screwed, but it's going to produce a KU.  Pattern going forward still looks good...really good maybe.  We're not done by a long shot. 

It looks pretty good for at least 7-10 days. The tricky part for the next week or so is having disconnected streams. The closed low in the deep southwest needs to kick some energy into ns vorts diving down or everything will be clipper style. The phased storm looks we had a few days back have dropped off but that surely doesn't mean it's not going to happen. 

It's very active. Especially the northern stream. With the displaced PV we will have some shots at clipper types snows at the very least. If something can phase and time with the pv pulling ne and not squishing things we could get a fat miller A. 

Next storm this week looks to go north of us but the antecedent airmass is pretty cold. We could potentially get accum waa snows even with the low tracking north. Nothing big that way but snow is snow. We need snow. Euro ensembles show several more signals from next weekend and beyond. Gotta sweat it out. 

I'm headed on a weenie pilgrimage to NYC as well. Leaving on the amtrak early tomorrow morning.

I was living in OC for the 2005 (I think that was the year). That beast hit hard up here and we got a few inches of slop there. I decided to come up here and check it out. It was so depressing driving back. I will never chase a snow event again because of that. Watching it turn brown as you near home really sucks.

I was living in OC for the 2005 (I think that was the year). That beast hit hard up here and we got a few inches of slop there. I decided to come up here and check it out. It was so depressing driving back. I will never chase a snow event again because of that. Watching it turn brown as you near home really sucks.

Jeez.... really? I can't really justify missing a 2-3 foot blizzard.

It may look pretty good next 7-10 days but if everything crumbles inside 48 hours then is it really pretty good? This should have been an easy win for most of the forum. We just had a Miller A that was mostly rain. It's almost Feb with nothing on the horizon. Maybe it's just not gonna happen this year at least for some of us.

My threshold for chasing is it has to be near guaranteed to be better than what I've personally experienced here. Maybe Boston will be in for a 40" blizzard with the same winds as 2/13 at some point, and I'll chase that. But nothing that's happened to any of the cities northeast of us in the past decade has beaten the combined thrill of 2/5/10 and 2/10/10 for me. 

Archived