amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You haven't noticed an improvement in the quality of my posts?

I think the quality of YanksFan's posts are definitely headed upwards...most noticeably, a *huge* dropoff in that old "know it all" attitude...much more pleasant to read.

Amazingly, the 1.2 inches out at Islip was a record for the date...

which can probably be explained by about 3 reasons...1/ it has a short climate record...2/ they kept bad records up until 2007...they started keeping very good records thereafter...3/ Islip isn't a terribly snowy place...

Low to mid 20s i don't have a historical station close enough for an exact number but in general about 5 inches less then CPK

Two feet sounds about right...

Seriously.

Also definitive statements one way or another outside 36 hrs is pretty annoying too.

It was inevitable that we were in for a below normal snow winter. Last year other then March everything kept going right for most of the area. Back to reality. I personally am looking forward to spring and summer

It was inevitable that we were in for a below normal snow winter. Last year other then March everything kept going right for most of the area. Back to reality. I personally am looking forward to spring and summer

March sure did come fast this year.

Spring and summer on Long Island...like a snow lover in Florida. Days and days of coolness and fog through June, then moderate temperatures and failed T-storm chances throughout the summer. Should be riveting.

I'll never understand why folks who aren't seeing what they want go do something else for a bit. Instead they just whine, whine, whine.

Agree about the whining, but as far as taking breaks tts very hard to turn away when you have this in your blood, as I'm sure you know.  Ive tried many times to take a break but whats the point.  Spend the whole year looking forward to essentially a 90 day period, its hard to give up on it despite the writing having been on the wall.

Anyway, there are still positive possibilities for February.

Why would you give up on anything this early. It may not be a rocking winter but the pacific pattern alone should give people hope. Don't dismiss next week's coastal already and after the thaw the -EPO is poised to return.

Other factors like the falling AO towards the end of the month are things to keep in mind. I really think we get one good storm in February but possibilities will still exist this month.

March sure did come fast this year.

Spring and summer on Long Island...like a snow lover in Florida. Days and days of coolness and fog through June, then moderate temperatures and failed T-storm chances throughout the summer. Should be riveting.

I work outside year round so anything beats cold. Snow is another story as I love snow enough and profit enough from it. I agree Long Island does not have the best spring Can I bring that chicken for dinner ? Needs to be used weather. Often when you get the first string of real 70 and sunny weather in the city (manhattan) it's in the 50s with fog. Severe season is relegated to late summer. I have seen some incredible storms over the years at the beach with vast majority being in July and August.

Long Island's weather is far more interesting than that of crappy coastal New Jersey...whose fluke run appears to have run its course.

I think they do get more thunderstorms...more interrupted golf games, picnics, barbeques etc.  Pity we don't get more outdoor activities interrupted in the summer.

Some years, I think Newfoundland gets more thunderstorms, but I still remember years when it seemed like even we had one every afternoon.  Not my favorite summer memory and another reason I don't think I could ever like Florida.

Bayonne, 1953:  Standing there and looking out over Newark Bay...one would see tugboats hauling barges over the oil-slicked water...oil tankers & freighters carrying their cargoes...and planes (no jets yet)...flying in and out of Newark Airport.  On hot summer nights the steady din of planes, boats, trucks, and freight trains filled the air.  So did the fumes they exhaled, which, when mixed with the incinerator smoke and oil refinery gases, formed a foul atmospheric concoction that would ultimately become world famous for its unforgettable stench...

That stench comes from the worlds largest dump in Staten Island NY.

Archived