joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm farily certain that SnoSki was given an involuntary break.

Congrats you're no longer hated on this forum I'll happily take over those reins. I don't care if I'm called the worst poster or am being hated on because it really doesn't matter honestly. Trashing me isn't going to bring you your fantasy snowstorm to reality. So what if all the models support a coastal at Day 8, the fact is the storm is at Day 8 which is like an eternity in meteorological terms.

Oh and your so called overrunning threat is already showing signs of fading and it's not surprising given the pattern. Posters that have been hitting the point of the AO constantly should be applauded because it matters greatly. Historical evidence clearly shows why it's nearly impossible to get a significant storm unless the AO is negative and there are no signs of that happening right now.  

I'm not dismissing the clipper by the way I've said the best way for us to get snow in this pattern is through clippers but we're talking maybe an inch of snow, which I guess is worth fighting about. 

If this pattern breaks down like the GFS shows we still have a shot at 11/12 which also had some January cold and minor snow.

Flip side is GFS is out to lunch and we are seeing the begging of a good run and headed fCan I bring that chicken for dinner ? Needs to be used or at least a normal winter.

I think it's safe to say at this point an A+ winter isn't going to happen let's shoot for a solid B

If this pattern breaks down like the GFS shows we still have a shot at 11/12 which also had some January cold and minor snow.

Flip side is GFS is out to lunch and we are seeing the begging of a good run and headed fCan I bring that chicken for dinner ? Needs to be used or at least a normal winter.

I think it's safe to say at this point an A+ winter isn't going to happen let's shoot for a solid B

That's assuming it's warm rest of the way.   The cold in 11-12 turned out to be an island of cold in a sea of warmth.   Similar to 01-02.   IF we get a good stretch of winter, let's ay 4-6 weeks of cold and snow chances, this one can be saved, but agree, the epic solutions especially if you judge them on length are off the table given the horrid December and largely snowless first 10 days of January so far

That's assuming it's warm rest of the way.   The cold in 11-12 turned out to be an island of cold in a sea of warmth.   Similar to 01-02.   IF we get a good stretch of winter, let's ay 4-6 weeks of cold and snow chances, this one can be saved, but agree, the epic solutions especially if you judge them on length are off the table given the horrid December and largely snowless first 10 days of January so far

This winter so far has a different feel than those ghastly winters. I think the overrunning is a no go but the system after has a slight chance of occurring solely because of the PNA spike. I think we''ll wind up with 10-15" of snow by winter's end with most of it falling in February. This assumes the storms next week don't work out otherwise amounts will end up closer to 20" for the season with variations throughout. 

Why?

What is good about cold and dry? It drives up your heating bill, causes dry skin and everytime you go outside you need to bundle up like an eskimo. I'm a fan of all seasons, and I love my snow just as much as the next guy, but the only reason I tolerate the cold is because you can't get snow without it.

thats how they drink it over in England - but then again they don't get as much snow as we do usually in most locations

Cold beer is definitly an American thing. And snow is very rare in the UK. Snow removal equipment is sparse and they shut down for a few inches like they do in the American South.

What is good about cold and dry? It drives up your heating bill, causes dry skin and everytime you go outside you need to bundle up like an eskimo. I'm a fan of all seasons, and I love my snow just as much as the next guy, but the only reason I tolerate the cold is because you can't get snow without it.

The cold is refreshing and invigorating. It feels clean. The coldest nights are usually the best for stargazing.

And I'm not convinced hot weather is any less expensive on the homeowner than cold. ACs, fans, and pool pumps aren't cheap to run all season. 

The cold is refreshing and invigorating. It feels clean. The coldest nights are usually the best for stargazing.

And I'm not convinced hot weather is any less expensive on the homeowner than cold. ACs, fans, and pool pumps aren't cheap to run all season.

The cold does not feel clean here. It's only refreshing/invigorating for a few minutes before it becomes bothersome. You still have to bundle up as it were. I'd rather jump into cool water when it's like 80 out for refreshing/invigorating.

It's much more comfortable to walk outisde in a t-shirt and shorts than dressed up like Nanook of the North.

It takes a toll on certain overwintering invasive species.  That is a good thing.

Cold beer is definitly an American thing. And snow is very rare in the UK. Snow removal equipment is sparse and they shut down for a few inches like they do in the American South.

It snows more frequently in the UK than in the southern US.  It's a decent sized place, so southwest England and the Scottish Highlands are worlds apart, but your analogy doesn't work.

Cold without snow and non-chilled beer are both good things in the right circumstances.  It helps to have good cold and good beer.

I don't really do that unless it's 90+. Plus I don't live in a walk-up any more so I have to be somewhat presentable going in and out of the bldg.

But to answer your question, 15F.

That's the great thing about having a treadmil in your basement, I could run in the nude if I wanted, then again running on a treadmil can be rather boring.

Archived