joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the euro and its ensembles cave to the gfs AGAIN with the day 8 storm being ots i think its fairly obvious that for at least the time being the gfs is CLEARLY the better model and its really not even close

In that event, I think a more well-thought out conclusion would be that GFS has a better handle on PAC influence in the overall pattern. It's not that the Euro is bad, it's that it has been having trouble with what is shaping up to be a seasonal trend...a strong PAC jet that routinely squashes any sort of ridging allowed to pump up out ahead of it, whether it be a -EPO (12/20 system) or a +PNA (this upcoming system). Today's trends were not good at all in the PAC and, for the time being, we are relying on the northern stream to save us, a better time of year for marginal events, and a slightly better, but still crappy, Atlantic.

Does anyone know offhand why NWS Upton would on their extended forecast page show 'Snow Likely' (not light snow, but Snow) for tomorrow while at the same time forecasting less than one inch?  What drives whether the word 'Light' is used?

While we're at it, what do you think of the use of silly thermometer icons and use of the word 'Cold' or 'Hot'.  First, Cold and Hot are provided at the expense of detail about cloud cover, and second, they add no value.  I can decide whether I am likely to feel Cold or Hot based on the numeric temperature value, I don't need to see the word 'Cold' or a blue thermometer after reading 12F.

Does anyone know offhand why NWS Upton would on their extended forecast page show 'Snow Likely' (not light snow, but Snow) for tomorrow while at the same time forecasting less than one inch? What drives whether the word 'Light' is used?

While we're at it, what do you think of the use of silly thermometer icons and use of the word 'Cold' or 'Hot'. First, Cold and Hot are provided at the expense of detail about cloud cover, and second, they add no value. I can decide whether I am likely to feel Cold or Hot based on the numeric temperature value, I don't need to see the word 'Cold' or a blue thermometer after reading 12F.

"Light" would be referring to the rate at which the snow is falling.....thus, a slower snow rate usually leading to minor accumulations. In this case, the snow showers that will possibly push through our area have the chance of being more than just light snow. They may possibly be heavier, but for a very short time, leading to minor accumulations of an inch or so.

There is a small window of opportunity for some OES / enhancement over eastern LI tomorrow morning.  I am reminded of this:

http://www.northshorewx.com/images/sidebars/OES-20050119.gif

OKX is considering something similar and updated the AFD with the following at 10:22PM:

A FEW FLURRIES OR POCKETS OF LGT SNOW CANNOT BE RULED OUT OVER LI AND ERN CT WITH THE DEVELOPING STRATUS...OTHERWISE AS THE FRONT APPROACHES TOWARDS DAYBREAK FRIDAY...SOME SNOW SHOWERS ARE

POSSIBLE...MAINLY FOR THE WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY.

Not sure if there are any flurries out that way yet, but radar has been picking up the effect of the SW flow over the south fork all evening.  Ocean temps are about 6 to 8C close to the shore and warmer further south.  850s aren't expected to warm to any more than about -7 or -8, so plenty of Delta-T for OES.  I am not sure how the expected high winds will affect this, but they are expected to have a decent onshore fetch.

..the shallow ponds out this way are totally frozen..ice looks awesome(smooth and fast)..with saturdays

reinforcing shot i say game on for sunday..pond hockey anyone?

Any idea how thick the ice is?  We played on a lake north of lake George last week...drilled through and the ice was around 10".  I saw some kids playing in Miller Place yesterday so I guess things are solid enough..

Reading the 7-day forecasts from the media channels on TV this morning is very depressing. Rain for both of next week's events with a toaster bath commencing. Today's "event" will likely be the heaviest snowfall this season.

Taking the forecast from the media seriously FTL

Any idea how thick the ice is?  We played on a lake north of lake George last week...drilled through and the ice was around 10".  I saw some kids playing in Miller Place yesterday so I guess things are solid enough..

..not sure..i did walk on it but not too far from shore..if anything this period of snow will kinda 

spoil the quality of the ice..but thats ok.little shoveling will take care of that..c'mon out to eastport

for some pond hockey this sunday..could be our only window this winter season.

Lol

I am not hallucinating at all. Even Upton agrees that this storm is DOA for NYC in regards to snow. And the -EPO will be collapsing during this time; thus, we will begin to blowtorch from MLK onwards like the Euro weeklies show.

AGAIN...PRECIP

TYPE LOOKS TO BE INITIALLY WINTRY MIX CHANGING TO MAINLY RAIN NEAR

THE COAST.

Next week's 16th storm is on life support as there will be virtually no cold air to be had in our region; so even a benchmark track will produce rain for NYC. Next week will be very, very depressing as we will definitely rain for both events.

The storm is a week away, give me a freakin break.

Archived