• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

This is a perplexing statement to read on a weather forum. Aren't we here to discuss the weather? 

You are correct...it is out of place for a weather board.  But it probably has more substantive value than most comments; so I chose to share it.  No one is obliged to take any advice I give...do with it what you wish. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West Hampton got down to 2 last night not to shabby

Also there is not one day in the next 7 forecasted to be above normal. (Other briefly tomorrow and even that's not a given)

Better then 01/02 or 11/12 for sure

Yeah in 11-12 we had no hope. The winter was basically over before it started. I think it was due to the AK death vortex.

If the Pac jet/QBO can temper down a bit, I still think we see a 6 inch type event around here in the period late January to mid February.

But the idea of a blockbuster winter like last year is pretty much dead at this point or really even a I-95 KU is probably unlikely unless we get a thread the needle setup in late Feb/early March.

Really wish folks would wait until at least February 1st before assuming the winter's a dud snowfall wise. We're only about 35% through our snow season. The comparisons of this winter to the dead ratters are completely inaccurate. NYC will be -4 or colder for the first half of January. Go back and check the Januaries of 2002, 2012, 1998, 1995, 1983, 1973, 2008, 2007, 1993, and many others, and tell me if those years had anywhere near the magnitude of cold we are seeing CONUS-wide for this January (in fact, they are all warm).

Happy birthday and I wish you well. Let us stick to weather banter here if we can, please.

Today is my actual birthday...I received no phone calls...and certainly no invitations...but the people at work did give me a card on Thursday...along with a birthday cake and sang the "Happy Birthday" song to me...which caught me entirely by surprise...and I found it to be a delightfully pleasant thing.

I think back over the last 25 years...with 1990 being the low point in my existence...how very far I have come in the last quarter century...but still afflicted by fits of depression, sadness, & loneliness.  I think much of this is based on expectations...in 1990, I would have been delighted beyond comprehension to be in the situation I am at present...but, due to changing expectations, I feel simmering dissatisfaction.  As a young child, my father read The Fisherman's Wife to me...a cautionary tale about a woman who kept getting more and more in the way of material possessions...and yet this was accompanied by more and more dissatisfaction on her part.  Ultimately, everything she had was taken away from her, and only then did she recognize her shortsightedness.  I might well profit from a re-reading of that childhood tale.

Today is my actual birthday...I received no phone calls...and certainly no invitations...but the people at work did give me a card on Thursday...along with a birthday cake and sang the "Happy Birthday" song to me...which caught me entirely by surprise...and I found it to be a delightfully pleasant thing.

I think back over the last 25 years...with 1990 being the low point in my existence...how very far I have come in the last quarter century...but still afflicted by fits of depression, sadness, & loneliness.  I think much of this is based on expectations...in 1990, I would have been delighted beyond comprehension to be in the situation I am at present...but, due to changing expectations, I feel simmering dissatisfaction.  As a young child, my father read The Fisherman's Wife to me...a cautionary tale about a woman who kept getting more and more in the way of material possessions...and yet this was accompanied by more and more dissatisfaction on her part.  Ultimately, everything she had was taken away from her, and only then did she recognize her shortsightedness.  I might well profit from a re-reading of that childhood tale.

Happy birthday!

Thxns...I know what you are saying...but when you have no one to talk to...and have soooooo many thoughts you want to express...I don't know...I just have to write.  So excuse what offends...but concurrently realize that what bothers you (the group as a whole and not you individually) is not to be forgiven...but to be contemplated.

Not offended and I'm sorry you struggle with loneliness. Loneliness is a big problem in our society more than ever before. Sorry to venture off the weather banter, but my suggestion for you is to find ways for you to give to others less fortunate through volunteering as a way to combat loneliness and to have more meaning in your life and to join support groups if possible. Just my two cents.

Happy birthday! I think this is good advice here.

Not offended and I'm sorry you struggle with loneliness. Loneliness is a big problem in our society more than ever before. Sorry to venture off the weather banter, but my suggestion for you is to find ways for you to give to others less fortunate through volunteering as a way to combat loneliness and to have more meaning in your life and to join support groups if possible. Just my two cents.

+1. Well said and great advice. Happy birthday Pamela. U may feel lonely but remember ur words are much appreciated on this forum by many. We are here with u today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Happiness in an intelligent person is the rarest of things."

___Ernest Hemingway

Happy Birthday Pam ! This is a great quote and is very true. I guess it is why we generally become less happy as we age and the world becomes less wondrous. Our mind is filled with all that the world throws at us and "teaches" us. Though we can try not to absorb it all, it's impossible not to become one with so many parts of the system. Quite frankly, I think all of us have retained a bit of that "magical" feeling we had as children. Here on this forum, we hope for snow (almost all of us). Why ? It is not a material possession, and while wishing for it is not exactly a selfless act, I wouldn't consider it selfish really. For me, when it snows, I can't help but feel some happiness. The wait alone is worth it. "18-24 expected to begin tomorrow morning".....I know most of us here have that feeling in our chest filled with excitement and probably feel like children in a way.

Anyway.....I guess what I am trying to say in such a jumbled way.....Is that I agree.....Happiness in an intelligent person is rare. As we age,  we become more intelligent (in terms of what we learn about this world and our society), however I think the key to true happiness is being able to still see the world through children's eyes. Though we were less aware at a young age, were we really less intelligent ? Part of the definition of intelligence is "the capacity for logic". Being logical means sticking to strict principles of validity.....In other words, stepping "into the box". What makes things less magical is the world's ability to make us consciously and subconsciously absorb all of "the ways" and knowledge of "what is and what is not".....Geniuses go insane because the more you know, the more you tend to lose the lust for life. The closer to the truth you get the less enjoyable things become because there is no longer any reason to see more of what is next. Ignorance is bliss and material possessions and longings lure us in to believing that the perfect state of mental peace and awareness is having all that we need, including all of the complexities that make life more enjoyable in the modern day world.....Though simplicity is really the key.

Let's all just keep seeing things through children's eyes at times and enjoy the weather, among other things. Have a happy birthday and I hope everyone else is enjoying their day as well

That was an amazingly thought provoking commentary WG...I'm going to re-read it to give myself a better chance to digest those insights.

Thanks to you (and everyone above) for the birthday wishes!!   I feel a little better already!

Guest Patrick

Amen. x 10000.

Youth is always wasted on the young.

In other news, holding onto our little snow coating up here today.

While depressing your assessment is spot on wintersgrasp. To me there's nothing worse than wasting your life doing something you hate or making someone else happy. Life's too short to not do what you love and find time to have fun.

While depressing your assessment is spot on wintersgrasp. To me there's nothing worse than wasting your life doing something you hate or making someone else happy. Life's too short to not do what you love and find time to have fun.

Damn right man...so true! What we are doing (for a career, especially) quickly turns from "something I'm doing now for a while to earn money" to something that takes up nearly every waking moment.....at work, it's working and at home it's thinking of what you did or will do next at work. Personally, I'm at a turning point in my life where this really, really rings true. I spent more than 1/3 of my life working to earn and make others happy with what I did (on the job and what not), at a place that I did not particularly like. I'm no longer doing that, and all of those that I've worked the hardest for did not back me up and turned their backs on me at the drop of a hat. They're out of your life just as quickly as they entered it. Suddenly, you wonder where all the years have gone. It's great to make others happy, but only if it is for those who care about you or will truly appreciate the efforts.

"The best way to predict the future is to create it"

"The difference between who you are and what you want to be.....is what you do"

Sick! We had huge, clean waves and offshore winds during Sandy down here. I had a buddy tow surfing 20'+ waves. Something very rarely seen on the MD beaches.

The whole experience was off the charts. This video shows the full impact of the surge

and wave action along the beach. Shortly after the power went out the boardwalk collapsed

right below where this guy was filming.

Only 67 days to go until Spring starts. Only 39 days to go until the chances of significant snow begin to rapidly decrease. The rising sun angle is already becoming noticeable. In about another week I'll be able to make it home from work in daylight. Soon it will be time to start the countdown to Spring thread.

Archived