joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essentially this is what the Euro has been advertising outside of maybe one or tw really amped up runs...pellets make it to ORH over to your area or even a bit north...but not before a 6-8 hour snow blitz.

I mean, maybe we get lucky and hold onto all snow, but I don't think so...Euro solution has been fairly consistent in showing this.

can you explain swfe again to me, I see a lot of east flow and SE at 7h

My  forecast nam is colder storm and ecwmf is cold storm and 12 gfs is cold too .     I say heavy snow wed into wed night for ct area with totals 6- 11 inches including the hartford area .         Some weather people just change their forecast just every time models or one does a    change .

We've really got to ride the Rgem..until it lets us down..and last winter it did not. 

Plus we know the profile temp problems the GFS has had.

The RGEM I'll trust more at 00Z, although the 18Z was close to the 12Z run the off hour RGEM runs tend to be very poor, if something did indeed get caught by the US models at 18Z it may not have been by the RGEM yet.

My  forecast nam is colder storm and ecwmf is cold storm and 12 gfs is cold too .     I say heavy snow wed into wed night for ct area with totals 6- 11 inches including the hartford area .         Some weather people just change their forecast just every time models or one does a    change .

Please wear your seat belt while traveling tomorrow.

Thinking this

5 HVN 

6 -7HFD

8-9 TOL

10-12 ORH

5-6 Gay(warmer BL issues)

2-4 BOS

12-14 SNH over to MPM

Sleet making it to the CT/Mass border but only for an hour or 2 after 8+ hours of mod-hvy snow and then a flip back to lighter snow overnight in T-giving

What is the model blend/adjustments you are using?

I know it's a made up term in the first place, and I know we've mentioned it with this storm but that's more because it acts like one for a bit. As Scott said though, the warmth is really SW to NE, not racing in from the SW like a typical SWFE would be.

This system just happens to be highly sloped to the cold side, rather than having some parent low over BUF pumping in warmth aloft.

Yikes....pinging into GC.

Congrats PF--we knew you'd come through in the end.  :)

45.3/26

I don't see any sleet on the 18z NAM or GFS soundings for PSF. I think you'll be fine. 

This has the looks of a great storm for GC as we should avoid sleet and get a solid dose of QPF. Even the GFS would imply near a foot for you and I with the NAM closing in on 18" for the northern Berkshires and S VT. While the NAM is likely a bit overdone, I think we'll do well. Enjoy!

Look at the wind above 700mb or even 600mb-500mb...not at 850mb....ripping out of the S/SW. That's why the warm punch is so high up. That's gonna come screaming in from the SW...but it also helps in causing a nice WCB thump in front of it.

But I'm pretty confident I'll taste sleet even north of the pike...but hopefully not after a big thump before hand.

Like Jerry said yesterday: time and again, Euro speaks, the rest dance around but inevitably follow.

Will ride RGEM's coattails from last winter until it caves. Does it handle the intense VV's better and hold off the mid-level warmth more accurately than 18z NAM/GFS? Someone will blink in the 0z suite.

After which I plan to double down on The Weather Channel's forecast made this afternoon: 5-8" for Boston / 8-12" most of SNE with lollis to 12-18". That's the most likely forecast right there.

Like Jerry said yesterday: time and again, Euro speaks, the rest dance around but inevitably follow.

Will ride RGEM's coattails from last winter until it caves. Does it handle the intense VV's better and hold off the mid-level warmth more accurately than 18z NAM/GFS? Someone will blink in the 0z suite.

After which I plan to double down on The Weather Channel's forecast made this afternoon: 5-8" for Boston / 8-12" most of SNE with lollis to 12-18". That's the most likely forecast right there.

I-want-to-believe.gif

I don't see any sleet on the 18z NAM or GFS soundings for PSF. I think you'll be fine.

This has the looks of a great storm for GC as we should avoid sleet and get a solid dose of QPF. Even the GFS would imply near a foot for you and I with the NAM closing in on 18" for the northern Berkshires and S VT. While the NAM is likely a bit overdone, I think we'll do well. Enjoy!

I don't know why this is still getting hashed out, but for MPM...the best spots have always and continue to be GC/Berks to SNH/Lakes Region to the Maine interior plain and foothills.

Stop worrying so much about what this model or that model says. You know your clime. You'll easily be in the 4-6 inch range

I'm not worrying. I'm not really sure what my climo is for November 26, but it probably leans toward rain.

I'd be worrying if I had a map out there that had 12-18 for most of SNE. Hey look at that. TWC just cut their map significantly for i84 and SE.

Archived