joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so we disagree. If it's 34.0  at fitchbur airport (300') and dumping snow after evap cooling took over would you be shocked beyond belief w this airmass. Maybe i'm a fool lol .

We'd have to end up with lighter precip rates. You get busts more often when it is 34F and 1 mile vis light snow that doesn't stick verses heavy snow that won't accumulate...I don't think I've ever seen heavy snow not accumulate. If you are ripping S or S+...one, its hard to stay at 34F (it will want to latently cool to 32-33), secondly, the heavy rates overwhelm any immediate warmth at the surface. This is why the warm ground argument doesn't work even if it was 75F two days before a spring snow bomb.

But that 34-35F type snow is usually when you have a lighter event...so it's all about the rates. You get heavy precip, its going to be 32F and not stay at 34-35F. If precip ends up being overdone and we get a more shredded radar presentation, then that would help the sfc temps stay higher.

We'd have to end up with lighter precip rates. You get busts more often when it is 34F and 1 mile vis light snow that doesn't stick verses heavy snow that won't accumulate...I don't think I've ever seen heavy snow not accumulate. If you are ripping S or S+...one, its hard to stay at 34F (it will want to latently cool to 32-33), secondly, the heavy rates overwhelm any immediate warmth at the surface. This is why the warm ground argument doesn't work even if it was 75F two days before a spring snow bomb.

But that 34-35F type snow is usually when you have a lighter event...so it's all about the rates. You get heavy precip, its going to be 32F and not stay at 34-35F. If precip ends up being overdone and we get a more shredded radar presentation, then that would help the sfc temps stay higher.

Makes Sense, sounds like i'm paranoid about antecedent airmass and also wether drier dews are slower than modeled to get in here!  I think we will get the rates (no question really) . I remember one year (on Ekster Bday) when RI was getting fire hosed to death and started out like 37/36 and 2 to 3 hours later it was 33/33 and dumping silver dollars at diamond hill state park.

Anyone is free to start an obs thread whenever...that includes now if they feel the sudden urge to post that their temp is currently 57F with partly cloudy skies.

You are bring it all today....not just the weather expertise but the wit too.

Sorry to be missing this storm.  Looks like a solid one for those of us who live in Dendriteville.  Concerned though that it will melt out and we will have to restart our pack in mid-December. 

. This run is 6 hrs closer to game time and should statistically be better than 12z.

Look at the 6 hr difference from 21hr this run and 27 hr on its 12z run. Looks so weird that it could jump the low position that much in one run. That's why I don't trust the 18z ever.

Archived