Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleet.

Even if it does punch to the NH border late in the game, pretty immaterial.

NAM solution would def cut into the expected amounts because it rips it so far north and earlier than other guidance.

But I'm not really concerned about it given the SREFs that just ran, along with the more reliable RGEM/ECMWF blend. NAM always has a couple of steroid runs during coastals...this is probably one of them. The "give 35 inches of snow to N NJ in Feb 2013" NAM run.

Look at the 6 hr difference from 21hr this run and 27 hr on its 12z run. Looks so weird that it could jump the low position that much in one run. That's why I don't trust the 18z ever.

Haven't looked, but it's possible convection is doing weird things. However dismissing an 18z run in favor of 12z and 00z runs while only 24 hrs out makes little sense.

NAM solution would def cut into the expected amounts because it rips it so far north and earlier than other guidance.

But I'm not really concerned about it given the SREFs that just ran, along with the more reliable RGEM/ECMWF blend. NAM always has a couple of steroid runs during coastals...this is probably one of them. The "give 35 inches of snow to N NJ in Feb 2013" NAM run.

I didn't care enough to entertain what a verbaitm verification of this run would entail.

wrote this last night... NAM should have drug-testing prior to each run

Not advocating any particular solution, but I do wonder how much the outburst of convection off the Carolinas hours 15-21 is dragging this system a little northwest. Not a "weenie" wish. I raised the same question on 18Z last night which was a huge hit for mby.

In general, no, but I'm dismissing this run. 

Ring the bell....file to the door, not even any homework.

I think the more correct thing to say would be "I'm just dismissing the NAM"...as in the model in general.

But I agree with Scooter about the 18z myth...that argument used to have a bit more weight, but not these days.

My general problem with the NAM is that it doesn't show an ability to be consistent...some models are consistent so when you see it make a move, it is more believable. The NAM is a highly volatile model that makes wild swings and can drive you nuts if you try and think each one is a sign that the system is trending one way or the other.

So I'll await the 18z RGEM/GFS.

Archived