• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Week Storm (Wed/Wed night)

ORH_wxman

Should of said not an even blend. Weighted more towards euro but taking rgem into consideration off its great year last winter.

OK, makes sense then.

He thinks the snow will make it to Worcester, then perhaps hits a roadblock before peeling back away from the Worcester area.

That does not.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol that wording makes it sound like the snow reaches ORH and then moves no further north and the precip shield collapses back SE

In other words he is considering the possibility of rain changing to snow in the Worcester area but the rain/snow line makes no further progression to the north or east. He didn't elaborate except to say he is considering changing his forecast for the 10 PM forecast.

That makes no sense...

If you take into account that the water temperature surrounding the North East are still running around 49-50 degrees, this actually makes perfect sense. The overrunning warmth (as shown in both the 18z GFS and 18z NAM now) bring the 850mb, 700mb temps above freezing from southern CT through Boston along a curve.

If this storm was the middle of January, I'd completely agree, but the water is just too damn warm right now to NOT play major impact in the coastal front / potent surge in warm air.

Models always waffle at this time range. The general idea is there now. 0z will be telling. It could waffle right back colder with the mid levels. If it stays put it may be more of a non event on the e ma coast than we thought earlier today/last night potentially.

As Scott says, if you are Kev to ORH to NE MA outside 128 your safe for plowable snowfall.

Not sure how the water temp will affect snow in ORH

The supply of warm 50 degree air surounding all of MA is unlimited, and will infiltrate the lower levels of the atmosphere, while the cold air in place to the north is very limited as it is only November.

I do believe Worcester will stay all snow, but will be just west of the main battle ground for meaningful snowfall precip.

If you take into account that the water temperature surrounding the North East are still running around 49-50 degrees, this actually makes perfect sense. The overrunning warmth (as shown in both the 18z GFS and 18z NAM now) bring the 850mb, 700mb temps above freezing from southern CT through Boston along a curve.

If this storm was the middle of January, I'd completely agree, but the water is just too damn warm right now to NOT play major impact in the coastal front / potent surge in warm air.

The concept of ageostrophic flow eludes you.

He probably meant to say, or said, the change over to sleet could make it to Worcester before peeling away.  Makes sense if you play for team warm tongue.  

I like where I sit with for this storm but would welcome a decent east shift.  I'd take a colder, saturated sounding over a little more QPF and upper level dry slot issues. Snowsand isn't going to pile up much better than sleet.  

NBC 30 in CT(Ryans Station) has upped their amounts from earlier today.  They now have 4-8 inches(upped from 3-6) for interior portions of CT, and 8-12 inches(up from 6-10) for the Northwest portion of the state.  Hey, I'm happy it's going to snow period.  For this time of the year, this is fabulous.  Enjoy whatever you get everybody. :-) 

Archived