CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why only pay attention when they're further west?  I don't understand why it's meaningful in one direction but not the other.

Because the ensembles always have some members that don't develop a given storm, resulting in a flat wave moving well out-to-sea. At this range, you never see all the members of the ensembles on board for a major snowstorm. When you have a decent percentage of members showing no storm, it tends to tilt the mean track well east...if you only used the members that really develop the storm, then the mean track would shift farther west closer to the OP.

Torch!

X-SECT and soundings will be critical. The fact that a coastal has been modelled is a good sign. There will be multiple chances me thinks. It's still Fall. I think a majority don't want a full fledged crippling snowstorm (although fun) for Thanksgiving other than the 99% of the posters in this forum.    

Because the ensembles always have some members that don't develop a given storm, resulting in a flat wave moving well out-to-sea. At this range, you never see all the members of the ensembles on board for a major snowstorm. When you have a decent percentage of members showing no storm, it tends to tilt the mean track well east...if you only used the members that really develop the storm, then the mean track would shift farther west closer to the OP.

You'll always have ones that are too wound up as well. I've seen the flatter solutions verify this season so it's not always going to be a case where they are too far east, but I understand what you mean. The lower resolution can increase the number of flatter solutions. Again, all you can say is that some impact is likely, but it's way too early to entertain amounts.

You'll always have ones that are too wound up as well. I've seen the flatter solutions verify this season so it's not always going to be a case where they are too far east, but I understand what you mean. The lower resolution can increase the number of flatter solutions. Again, all you can say is that some impact is likely, but it's way too early to entertain amounts.

I think the SE bias is more evident in the GEFS than the EC ENS...the EC ENS seem to more closely parallel the OP than on the NCEP suite.

Since all the operationals are intent on developing this system, I think we can discount most ensemble members that are completely flat. Especially with the GFS trending towards the ECM in its handling of the northern stream/polar vortex feature. Having that polar vortex farther south with such a juicy southern wave is going to make it hard not to get a system near the coast. 

I also find the GFS usually trends northwest on coastals and SWFEs to meet the ECM. The southeast bias has gotten more subtle over the years but it still exists...anytime I see a sheared out low near the Southeast Coast on the GFS in the mid-range (from like 96-168 hours) I tend to think we might have a threat. 

I think the SE bias is more evident in the GEFS than the EC ENS...the EC ENS seem to more closely parallel the OP than on the NCEP suite.

Since all the operationals are intent on developing this system, I think we can discount most ensemble members that are completely flat. Especially with the GFS trending towards the ECM in its handling of the northern stream/polar vortex feature. Having that polar vortex farther south with such a juicy southern wave is going to make it hard not to get a system near the coast. 

I also find the GFS usually trends northwest on coastals and SWFEs to meet the ECM. The southeast bias has gotten more subtle over the years but it still exists...anytime I see a sheared out low near the Southeast Coast on the GFS in the mid-range (from like 96-168 hours) I tend to think we might have a threat. 

I agree to a point, but you have to be careful with model assumptions. The euro is awfully amped up at times as well. It's had some awful 4-5 day flops already this season. That's why we can massage all the biases in our heads sometimes when we talk about storm tracks. 

Have the grasshoppers opened their eyes? Ah grasshopper patience is a virtue. Can not stress enough, even if this particular threat is wasted how much this fall pattern eventually will produce. You just can't put the NA cryosphere in that depth of snow and cold without resultant high speed jet interaction and boom. 

Have the grasshoppers opened their eyes? Ah grasshopper patience is a virtue. Can not stress enough, even if this particular threat is wasted how much this fall pattern eventually will produce. You just can't put the NA cryosphere in that depth of snow and cold without resultant high speed jet interaction and boom.

This is a great post. We started coastals as fall unfolded. Now we have winter on our doorstep.

Kevin, it will be hard to hold into unless it's 12+ which is not likely.

But by mid December we'll be in the teeth of it. One rockin winter on the way.

I agree to a point, but you have to be careful with model assumptions. The euro is awfully amped up at times as well. It's had some awful 4-5 day flops already this season. That's why we can massage all the biases in our heads sometimes when we talk about storm tracks. 

Yeah like the non-existant storm it had for yesterday about a week ago.

Nice little CT Valley cutter, lol.  Sling-shot up into New England.

Wouldn't that be a turd in the eggnog.

Can we cherry pick the ones we want............ :)

Isn't that what it's all about?

Thanks for the comments on the ensemble e/w question.  Helpful reading.  I can't stay up late any more for model runs, but I hope they'll be ripe in the morning.

33.2/16

It seems like we tend to remember the big storms and the ensemble members that were flat, but forget the fails that have ensemble members overly amplified.

So what are we 3.5-4 days away with tonights model runs?

It gives me a bit of pause that the upgraded GFS has been pretty much consistently OTS. By no means am I weighting that, just something to think about.

My guess is the euro shifts in line with the ensembles at 0z, and the gfs ticks west slightly again.

Me like the GC forecast.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Cold with highs in the upper 30s.

Wednesday Night: Snow likely. Lows in the mid 20s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Thanksgiving Day: Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of snow. Cold with highs in the upper 30s.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Lows in the mid 20s.

Archived