amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, you are really pessimistic on this.

GFS was actually qualitatively similar to 12z, just quantitatively more robust.

General 6-12".

Lightest near the NY state border, heaviest from Milford to Norwood.

I think that snow map is bonkers, but that is what it depicts.

Given his location ,its easier to be pessimistic...he might torch on a 040 wind.

Your location is in a much better spot even though it is still the CP. I'm in ORH for the holiday weekend, so I've got even more leeway.

I keep for getting that you've moved...I'd be reserved living s of Boston,too.

The GFS map seems to liberal with accumulations over se MA, but its irrelevant, I guess.

I can rack em up when it's colder, but tough this time of year. If temps aloft cooperate it can work, but otherwise it's more CF location dependent. Boston is in the same boat, but being a tick NW helps. The fact this pins the CF near the city is a good thing, but -0.5C at 950 isn't the best with a NE wind for a time.

GEFS mean is still pretty far east, but it has a good bulge in the isobars to the west, so there must be some pretty good members in there.

So I gotta ask...what in the world are the two OP runs seeing of the GFS/ECM that their lower resolution ensemble members aren't? Granted it's not uncommon in these storms to have the ensemble means be east as at 120 hours out there are most certainly members that see no storm at all bringing down the mean. But why are the OPs going crazy in the last 12-24 hours that nothing else is seeing?

GEFS mean is still pretty far east, but it has a good bulge in the isobars to the west, so there must be some pretty good members in there. 

Yeah there should be a decent amount of members clustered to the west there. I am probably heading to Long Island Tue so I need something like the GFS to pan out to have even a chance.

So I gotta ask...what in the world are the two OP runs seeing of the GFS/ECM that their lower resolution ensemble members aren't? Granted it's not uncommon in these storms to have the ensemble means be east as at 120 hours out there are most certainly members that see no storm at all bringing down the mean. But why are the OPs going crazy in the last 12-24 hours that nothing else is seeing?

The higher resolution of the OP runs will probably tend to handle the vortmax interaction and jet streaks with more robustness. It doesn't mean they are correct, but IF those vortmaxima and jet streaks tend to be pretty strong, then usually the OP runs will do better at handling them. But the reason the ensemble mean still scores better than the OP models at this range is that those features aren't always stronger or in the correct locations to semi-phase like the OP runs do.

The higher resolution of the OP runs will probably tend to handle the vortmax interaction and jet streaks with more robustness. It doesn't mean they are correct, but IF those vortmaxima and jet streaks tend to be pretty strong, then usually the OP runs will do better at handling them. But the reason the ensemble mean still scores better than the OP models at this range is that those features aren't always stronger or in the correct locations to semi-phase like the OP runs do.

GEFS are consistently east to a fault.

The fact that the op GFS matches the ECENS mean is telling.

GEFS are consistently east to a fault.

The fact that the op GFS matches the ECENS mean is telling.

The Euro ENS are a nice compromise solution that gives snow to most of the coastal plain as the low takes a track somewhere between the amped 12z ECM and the east 18z GFS solution.

The GEFS being east means nothing. I only pay attention when they are further west than the OP...that's a red flag.

The Euro ENS are a nice compromise solution that gives snow to most of the coastal plain as the low takes a track somewhere between the amped 12z ECM and the east 18z GFS solution.

The GEFS being east means nothing. I only pay attention when they are further west than the OP...that's a red flag.

Agreed 100%.

They mean even less as we close in to go-time from here.

Thanks ORH. It's just interesting that both of those models picked it up today...I think it's pretty cool that some small change in initial conditions caused them to all the sudden go "whoaaa we've got to put a storm on the east coast now".

Let's just hope those conditions are still present at 72 hours out.

You think that there may be a secondary maxima in association with the low level forcing attributable to the cf?

Could be given the maritime source region. However with this low developing and limiting really good E-NE flow to be prolonged in the 950-850 layer, it may not be a widespread enhancement...perhaps confined to a narrow spot? If this were to happen, sucking CF exhaust should not be a concern for you. This is a moisture bomb at all levels. I feel weird talking specifics, so the normal caveats apply this far out.

Mind you I am speaking solely on the GFS.

Archived