• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

The spaghetti plots show the OP is definitely one of the most amped of any member. It looks like only 2 or 3 out of the 51 are comparable.

There are a couple really jacked up, over land in New England or cut-off over NYC time frame, but also members that have no storm at all.  Benchmark seems like it makes sense for the mean of that run.  The stronger the storm, the further west it is on the ensembles.  The lower pressure systems are closer in, weaker solutions east.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles are definitely onboard with some sort of event...though unsurprisingly they are not nearly as amped as the OP...they take the system perhaps just a hair outside the benchmark.

No snow on the picnic tables.

The GFS is sort of the compromise between the Euro and Canadian at this point.

The spaghetti plots show the OP is definitely one of the most amped of any member. It looks like only 2 or 3 out of the 51 are comparable.

I still don't get ensembles.  I would think the  way ensembles work is by slightly modifying different parameters so the outcomes would be slightly different.  Then it would produce what would look like a spaghetti outcome.  Then it would seem to make sense that you take all the outcomes and averaged them to get the  operational outcome which would be a down the middle solution.....but it doesn't seem to work like that.  Kind of frustrating for a non Met like me!

I still don't get ensembles.  I would think the  way ensembles work is by slightly modifying different parameters so the outcomes would be slightly different.  Then it would produce what would look like a spaghetti outcome.  Then it would seem to make sense that you take all the outcomes and averaged them to get the  operational outcome which would be a down the middle solution.....but it doesn't seem to work like that.  Kind of frustrating for a non Met like me!

The operational run is basically just another ensemble member. The other members are generated by tweaking the initial conditions or parametrizations, which can lead to large differences when you get beyond a few days.

No snow on the picnic tables.

The GFS is sort of the compromise between the Euro and Canadian at this point.

Hey now, leave the tables out of this ;)

Although I know 99% of you are hoping the tables remain snow free and cirrus blanketed, lol.  I can't complain with over 10" so far to date at home and going on a week of snow cover now.  Climo would suggest we get our usual 2-5" NW edge snowfall in these storms, haha.

The operational run is basically just another ensemble member. The other members are generated by tweaking the initial conditions or parametrizations, which can lead to large differences when you get beyond a few days.

Thanks OceanSt.  Not to get this thread off topic but if one did a study of all the ensemble members, then did a mean outcome, wouldn't that beat the outcome of just one member, the operational?  Kind of what the NHC does on a storm track, average all the models?  I guess what I'm asking has been done and the operational member beats the averages of the 50 or so others.  Anyhow I will not muck up this TG thread with any more questions.  Looking forward to the 18Z GFS to see if it trends west.

Thanks OceanSt.  Not to get this thread off topic but if one did a study of all the ensemble members, then did a mean outcome, wouldn't that beat the outcome of just one member, the operational?  Kind of what the NHC does on a storm track, average all the models?  I guess what I'm asking has been done and the operational member beats the averages of the 50 or so others.  Anyhow I will not muck up this TG thread with any more questions.  Looking forward to the 18Z GFS to see if it trends west.

In the medium and long range, yes, the ens have better verification scores than a deterministic op run. However, the ens are run at a lower resolution and at some point (inside about 2-3 days) the op has better verification scores.

Methinks this is a little too precise of an HWO at this timeframe with respect to the timing/track.

WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY MORNING...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR A
COMBINATION OF IMPACTS INCLUDING WINTRY PRECIPITATION...HEAVY
RAIN...AND STRONG WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH A STORM THE HEIGHT OF
WHICH WILL OCCUR AROUND MIDNIGHT THURSDAY WHILE TRACKING NORTH-
EAST IN THE VICINITY OF NANTUCKET.

Thanks OceanSt. Not to get this thread off topic but if one did a study of all the ensemble members, then did a mean outcome, wouldn't that beat the outcome of just one member, the operational? Kind of what the NHC does on a storm track, average all the models? I guess what I'm asking has been done and the operational member beats the averages of the 50 or so others. Anyhow I will not muck up this TG thread with any more questions. Looking forward to the 18Z GFS to see if it trends west.

Hopefully it'll just keep the storm threat on the table at day 5...then me and you and MPM can worry about track later lol.

Generally this is how the long term forecasts are done at HPC for instance. Days 3-7 is basically blended GEFS and Euro ensembles in some weight or another.

Short term we tend to rely on higher res model guidance, but still blended to maximize their utility.

Will and other mets, do you think the ECM is correct with its handling of the northern stream energy and bringing that PV-like feature so much further south? The GFS holds the energy back a little more, keeping it more towards James Bay while the ECM brings it down into the CONUS and phases it into the storm.

Here is a map from the 12z GFS with the feature labeled for reference...this is going to be key to how far northwest the storm comes, how much cold air is injected (since it originates from the N Pole), and how strong the system becomes:

Out to 81 hours the 18z GFS is a bit further south with the northern energy (PV feature) and looks like it might be trending towards the Euro. We'll see though.

To answer your earlier question, the euro may be closer to correct, but it's tendency to bomb and curl back lows may be in play too. Someone said the new GFS is still a fish storm?

To answer your earlier question, the euro may be closer to correct, but it's tendency to bomb and curl back lows may be in play too. Someone said the new GFS is still a fish storm?

I'm pretty confident that this will end up a solid snow n and west of Boston, heaviest probably from GC to the northern ORH hills to Dendrite.

Archived