joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's up with the euro? If the ensembles have been east of the OP, why is the OP run so jacked up

Probably because of the higher resolution and the way it handles s/w interactions, jet streaks, and latent heat release related to convection. It could be right as well, but out of 51 ensemble members, there may be 4 or 5 about as jacked up as the op.

So what's up with the euro? If the ensembles have been east of the OP, why is the OP run so jacked up

In this case the ensembles will be east every single run. There are members that have no storm at all really and so naturally the mean gets dragged down. I can't think of a situation like this where the ensembles would all be strong lows along the east coast.

So I always forget this, how does the Euro "control run" vary from the OP and the rest of the ensembles?

Why do they make specific control run graphics to tease us with a 989mb low near the eastern tip of Long Island?

I believe it's a non-perturbed euro at the ensemble resolution. Then the ensemble members are perturbed from the control in various ways. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

So I always forget this, how does the Euro "control run" vary from the OP and the rest of the ensembles?

Why do they make specific control run graphics to tease us with a 989mb low near the eastern tip of Long Island?

It's sort of hard to explain, but a control run uses initial conditions based on the assimilation system. The other members use their starting point based on initial conditions when using the ensemble modeling method as like a first guess. I may have that more or less correct. I honestly don't think a lot of stock should be put on a control run.

I believe it's a non-perturbed euro at the ensemble resolution. Then the ensemble members are perturbed from the control in various ways. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah thanks that's what I was wondering. I couldn't figure out why they have the ECM OP and then a control run...but makes sense as they can't run the ensembles on the OPs resolution, so it's a dumbed down version.

Need to keep an eye on the individual members to see which side more start to lean on

That makes sense.  Hopefully we'll see whole-sale changes on the members with the 12z run with support growing for the op.  It would seem to me that by 12z, if we don't see more signs of agreement between the GFS/EC ens and their op runs that something pretty bizarre is at play.  A lot still can change in 72-96 hours, but the window of time is no longer huge.

That makes sense. Hopefully we'll see whole-sale changes on the members with the 12z run with support growing for the op. It would seem to me that by 12z, if we don't see more signs of agreement between the GFS/EC ens and their op runs that something pretty bizarre is at play. A lot still can change in 72-96 hours, but the window of time is no longer huge.

We are getting inside day 4 but in many cases this year and last that still was an eternity

Well yeah..I think common consensus is op run is too amped and west..and it probably tracks 50 miles or so west of the BM..but I mean the GFS nonsense of OTS was never an option

LOL, well most don't care about models 5+ days out knowing the wild swings. The GFS came on yesterday which is fine in my book. If the euro ends up east and the GFS sort of holds steady, who cares when the euro had it? 

Euro has pretty much held its ground with the other models shifting around more from run to run and some not biting st all

GFS, EC, EC EPS, UKMET on one side. GGEM, GEPS, NAM, SREFs, GFSx, NAVGEM, JMA on the other. GEFS are sorta split. I can tell you which group I'd rather have in my corner...lol.

LOL, well most don't care about models 5+ days out knowing the wild swings. The GFS came on yesterday which is fine in my book. If the euro ends up east and the GFS sort of holds steady, who cares when the euro had it? 

Well the point is..if you were using the GFS you'd have sunny and 40's for wed/Thurs..if you were using the euro..you'd have a clue there was a chance of a storm and you'd mention snow/rain and 30's..Big difference..One right. one wrong

Archived