• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

We are getting inside day 4 but in many cases this year and last that still was an eternity

I'm not talking of locking, but gaining support from more members.

The GFS dryslots CT by 3z Thursday and the rest shortly after. Keeps comma head ALB-BTV after looking at it. Then maybe after break snow redevelops as mid levels head east. Definition of front end thump.

The loudest screamers will be those that get the DS.  Please let it not be here.  :)

34.6/29.  Ice on the north deck still has not melted.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squirrels are going ballistic this morning..I just looked outside and counted 5 -6 of them prancing and dancing all over the lawn grabbing acorns..digging in beds etc...they know the time has arrived for continuous cover..

The clipper over the N plains is what is preventing this from cutting west..thank God that is there

Euro is definitely a nice 4-6" deal and then ice it seems inland.

Yeah that is a hellacious front end thump...the look of the WCB on that makes me think very heavy snow before the flip...esp where it hangs on a bit longer.

I still think the Euro is probably over-amped though anyway.

Squirrels are going ballistic this morning..I just looked outside and counted 5 -6 of them prancing and dancing all over the lawn grabbing acorns..digging in beds etc...they know the time has arrived for continuous cover..

The clipper over the N plains is what is preventing this from cutting west..thank God that is there

I thought you had already crawled on your hands and knees and picked up every acorn yourself.  :)

I guess from a timing standpoint, this will mostly be cleared out by TG morning in this neck of the woods?  Pretty decent timing possibly.  Thursday travelers will be able to just clear their driveways and go.  Unfortunately, in-law from ME will likely need to come down on Wed a.m. to beat the storm.  FTVDL (for the vacation day loss).

Yeah that is a hellacious front end thump...the look of the WCB on that makes me think very heavy snow before the flip...esp where it hangs on a bit longer.

I still think the Euro is probably over-amped though anyway.

Hopefully. I think so too. That would be a more uncommon setup for ice it seems. 

Hopefully. I think so too. That would be a more uncommon setup for ice it seems. 

My confidence is pretty high this morning that I'll at least have the grass covered.  If that's the extent of it here, much of SNE will be rejoicing in heavier stuff.

If I get walloped, perhaps there will be some disgruntled folks south of here and east of here. 

Reality will likely be somewhere in the middle with everyone being thankful for snow with their cranberry sauce.

There's like a 1030 high that forms just N of maine before the storm hits on the Euro...that really enhances the CAD. It could definitely ice in that setup over places like ORH...but usually when you get a strong high, it manifests itself in the mid-levels more as you get closer (this happened in events like 12/16/07) so we end up with a more snow scenario and only a thin transition zone. Dec 2008 was kind of an exception for strong cyclogensis in conjunction with a strengthening high to the north.

There's like a 1030 high that forms just N of maine before the storm hits on the Euro...that really enhances the CAD. It could definitely ice in that setup over places like ORH...but usually when you get a strong high, it manifests itself in the mid-levels more as you get closer (this happened in events like 12/16/07) so we end up with a more snow scenario and only a thin transition zone. Dec 2008 was kind of an exception for strong cyclogensis in conjunction with a strengthening high to the north.

That's what I think if it were to happen. I just don't see a setup like this conforming into an area of more widespread IP/ZR like the euro op has. How often does a strengthening low near the Cape produce that much mixed precip to almost Albany? I suppose never rule anything out, but this seems more like a rain/snow deal with maybe a narrow transition zone like you said.

My confidence is pretty high this morning that I'll at least have the grass covered.  If that's the extent of it here, much of SNE will be rejoicing in heavier stuff.

If I get walloped, perhaps there will be some disgruntled folks south of here and east of here. 

Reality will likely be somewhere in the middle with everyone being thankful for snow with their cranberry sauce.

Eh' just always place your bets on Worcester Co. jackpotting and you'll win more than you lose.

The GFS dryslots CT by 3z Thursday and the rest shortly after. Keeps comma head ALB-BTV after looking at it. Then maybe after break snow redevelops as mid levels head east. Definition of front end thump.

I'm a little behind this morning ... just on the surface the GFS' last couple runs are bit tilted in the vertical with the vortex structure. 

When that happens, rads tend to shred, with bands of moderate or even heavy ...intervened by comparatively light/lull regions.  The storm becomes more "showery" in nature, with one town in 1/4 mi vi and two towns away in flurries -- 40 minutes later the two are reversed.  It may atone for it's "deepiness" look and better precipitation manufacturing... 

Contrasting, though I don't get to see the detailed deep layered structures in the Euo, it's 'on the surface' appeal is that the S/W track is actually a touch E, and is deeper than the recent GFS', and the lower tropospheric vortex is better collocated with the DPVA and jazz running up the coast.  

One other thing to consider... Miller A's are PWAT haulers... Their source is theta-e rich beyond the dreams of the bluenose.  A moderately intense system will output more compared to a similar intensity system arriving more on a west-Miller B-like evolution. That may be why some of those "clown" product are running the ORH hills to nearly 20".  It's a classic autumn/spring blue bomb.

Just some observations... 

Steve, still not much support from the other guidance but the Canadogapian model went nuts with that little critter for next Saturday... Actually takes the NJ low and bombogens it to a deep juggernaut in the GOM.  Heh... The Euro has a 2 contoured close low and some squalls (perhaps) -- hey, it may not be all out support, at least it's contributing to the campaign funds...

Upton as of right now is favoring a track just east of the benchmark

Until all the key players...including energy still out over the
Pacific are resolved...the exact nature of interaction between a
northern stream clipper and a positively tilted trough over the east
central portion of the country by midweek is still uncertain - so
the forecast will likely change to some degree. For now though the
following is what appears most likely - that a fairly decent...but
not overly strong low should track just east of the 40n/70w
benchmark Wednesday evening.

http://www.wunderground.com/DisplayDisc.asp?DiscussionCode=OKX&StateCode=NY&SafeCityName=Brooklyn

Archived