joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How far south do the members go for accumulating snowfall???

Does that snow band include Horry County???

Reading more and posting less is a good thing when you can not contribute to the discussion in a pinned thread    

I have bumped the etiquette and newbie information threads for everyone's viewing pleasure   ;)  

Yeah AMWX snowfall maps give most of Central/Western NC something to get excited about.  Will be interesting to see if they verify!

Depends on if the models are correct with the upper low. If it is as robust as the gfs is depicting and the timing is during the night, there will definitely be some snow outside the mountains. 

Looking at the 00z GFS, snow really does look possible.  850s dip down to -3C here, surface temperatures are in the low 30s (but above freezing).  I'm sure there's a warm layer in there screwing it all up, though.  It's October, so I'm not going to bother looking.  :pimp:

It could be fun for the mountains.

:weenie: Weenie map time.  :weenie:

2eed8p4.gif

Here is an interesting graph based on the latest GFS....look how much of SC would see traces of snow.... If this does happen and I get to see it, it will satisfy me until things really pick up later this year....

I don't think both surface and ground temperature is that favorable outside mountains and Triad for a trace, though.

6z GFS...

I suppose this is possible. I would think that the most likely outcome will be rain mixing with snow at times(..during heaver rates). Even RAH mentioned this possibility in their last nights discussion. Funny, it's possible that Charlotte could see a little snow (..mixed precip) while all the big cities to the north see rain.  

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_060_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=060&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141030+06+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Edit: Not trying to be a downer but I think the NAM would have a better look(reality) with this system --- basically 850s above freezing where there is heaver precip:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F06%2Fnam_namer_066_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=066&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141030+06+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

I suppose this is possible. I would think that the most likely outcome will be rain mixing with snow at times(..during heaver rates). Even RAH mentioned this possibility in their last nights discussion. Funny, it's possible that Charlotte could see a little snow (..mixed precip) while all the big cities to the north see rain.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F06%2Fgfs_namer_060_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=060&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141030+06+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Edit: Not trying to be a downer but I think the NAM would have a better look(reality) with this system --- basically 850s above freezing where there is heaver precip:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F06%2Fnam_namer_066_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=066&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141030+06+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Agree, I wouldn't expect flakes outside the mountains. It's a nice looking storm, just need it 6 weeks later.

it's going to be fun when we get these systems in winter. Can't wait.

Sadly, we don't get many events like this in the winter. We get alot of these in the transitional times of year(spring/fall) when the atmosphere is making an effort to balance everything out as the seasons change and adjust the warm and cold balance of things.

The last few runs of both the GFS and Nam have been showing some snow for the Triad region.  I think there's a decent chance to see some flakes in the air at least.  I would call that a win!

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/images/plotter.php?site=kint&var=snow_accum&nam=1&namm=1&nam4km=1&gfs=1&gfsm=1&rap=1&nam_mos=1&gfs_mos=1&gfsm_mos=1&nws=1&obs=1&con=1&max_t=1&cobb=1&compaction=1&ratio=10

Archived