joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about what the models say, but TWC has Sautrday at 55/30 in Durham and 56/31 on Sunday. Even has Fayetteville at 33.

The 12z GFS, surface temps at hour 144:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=10&model_dd=27&model_init_hh=12&fhour=144&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

12z GFS, dew point temps at hour 144:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=10&model_dd=27&model_init_hh=12&fhour=144&parameter=TMPF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

**looks like there could be some dew points in the teens in some places. I would say this would actually hurt the chances of frost but enhance the chance of a hard freeze (if there are calm clear conditions).

Still not much rain in much of the Carolinas or GA on the GFS out to 16 days. Hopefully that'll be wrong since tomorrow will make 2 weeks without a drop.

Looks for some chances of rain in the 10 day range.  I know this is far out, but looks like a boundary will be getting into SE.  Surface ridge will be placed of East Coast funneling in some Gulf/Caribbean moisture.  Some EPAC tropical activity will spread some upper level moisture NE across the Southern Plains and into the Southeast.  So, it's not a completely dry forecast, but it will be over a week before rain chances return for most of the SE.  

gfs_mslp_pwata_namer_34.png

gfs_mslp_pwata_namer_36.png

Euro phases the systems and now give flakes back to most everyone in the mountains.  25/50 members support for KAVL and 30/50 members support this theory for Boone.  Fun times ahead I believe for the mountain folks.

Yea I'm sure someone is going to hype the Euro based on the 850 maps and moisture for those outside the mountains but there really is very little chance. It's not nearly cold enough at the surface and the moisture associated with this outside of the mountains is abysmal. Honestly I have a hard time buying the mountains get much luck either. There needs to be a lot of moisture to overcome mediocre surface temps and a warm soil at this time of year.  

Yea I'm sure someone is going to hype the Euro based on the 850 maps and moisture for those outside the mountains but there really is very little chance. It's not nearly cold enough at the surface and the moisture associated with this outside of the mountains is abysmal. Honestly I have a hard time buying the mountains get much luck either. There needs to be a lot of moisture to overcome mediocre surface temps and a warm soil at this time of year.  

Yeah not expecting a ton here in the valleys maybe a slushy .5" but the higher elevation should do a little better since their soil temps are colder currently and upslope will be in their favor.  Nonetheless, interesting to see the Euro bring this type solution back.  Also, check out the long range Euro..  Mega cutoff low over LA @ hr240.  That would be pretty interesting to say the least.

Yeah not expecting a ton here in the valleys maybe a slushy .5" but the higher elevation should do a little better since their soil temps are colder currently and upslope will be in their favor.  Nonetheless, interesting to see the Euro bring this type solution back.  Also, check out the long range Euro..  Mega cutoff low over LA @ hr240.  That would be pretty interesting to say the least.

Upper level temps look kinda warm with that cut off...nothing wintry.  But that's a monster cut off.  But how many times have we been teased with that this year?   :unsure:   I hope this isn't a sign of winter...teasing us with cut offs in the medium/long range only to trend north and west.  

ecmwf_z500a_sd_eus_10.png

ecmwf_z500a_sd_eus_11.png

Upper level temps look kinda warm with that cut off...nothing wintry.  But that's a monster cut off.  But how many times have we been teased with that this year?   :unsure:   I hope this isn't a sign of winter...teasing us with cut offs in the medium/long range only to trend north and west.  

Uh...I'm glad you were able to distinguish that a system with a tropical connection is too warm for winter weather in the southeast in early November...

That's a true split-flow system being portrayed on the end of the Euro run...with support from the Euro ensembles (control). All in all, what the models are showing is typical for early November southern stream events...too bad its at Day 10 rather than day 4-5...

Uh...I'm glad you were able to distinguish that a system with a tropical connection is too warm for winter weather in the southeast in early November...

That's a true split-flow system being portrayed on the end of the Euro run...with support from the Euro ensembles (control). All in all, what the models are showing is typical for early November southern stream events...too bad its at Day 10 rather than day 4-5...

That split flow pattern you mentioned should prevent any significant cold shots at bay after this weekend's.  Pattern heading into late next week should be quite zonal and warm.  

814temp.new.gif

That split flow pattern you mentioned should prevent any significant cold shots at bay after this weekend's.  Pattern heading into late next week should be quite zonal and warm.  

814temp.new.gif

That map pretty much sums up this horrific fall. Nothing but teases of cold air followed by non-stop heat. I get the feeling this is one of those years Atlanta will not get their first freeze until December.

Euro drops a nice cutoff again into the SE.  540 thickness on NC/SC line on Saturday.  Cold rain though imo for most outside the mountains, maybe a switchover to end in a few spots.

Snowing at Raleigh at 96!!  Just not going to make it to the ground with the blazing surface temps. :(

Euro drops a nice cutoff again into the SE.  540 thickness on NC/SC line on Saturday.  Cold rain though imo for most outside the mountains, maybe a switchover to end in a few spots.

That -6 C 850 hPa temperature over Asheville is pretty crazy to see. I think we can get some flurries in the morning, especially with 29 degrees at surface at 96 HR, but we need some moisture making it to bottom of this dry valley to see it.

HORRIFYING...

That map pretty much sums up this horrific fall. Nothing but teases of cold air followed by non-stop heat. I get the feeling this is one of those years Atlanta will not get their first freeze until December.

Why is that so bad? It's not winter yet. Like WxSouth said the other day on facebook, enjoy the warm and dry days now while you can, because it's not going to be be here in the winter.

Archived