• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

Not too worried yet.  At that range, the GFS will shift around a ton.  It'll probably be dry and warm.  Let's hope.

I suspect that the models will be less valuable at that range than usual with all of the missing data issues.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope that doesn't happen. Of course, it would rain on Halloween after being so dry lately. 

I really hope that doesn't happen. Of course, it would rain on Halloween after being so dry lately.

12z still has the heavy preip for Halloween; although it did shift it north a little. But these kind of details are useless at this rang. The main thing is the model still sees a precipitation event around Halloween.

One good thing is the push of cold air into the SE after the event:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=216ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_216_850_temp_ht.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141023+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Eh, maybe the GFS isn't out to lunch after all. Euro is showing a big trough in the East and a pretty good cold shot on the 12z. EPO is forecasted to go negative for the first week in November. Corresponds pretty well with the forecasted trough in the East in the 7-10 day frame.

The 18z GFS says goodbye to the freeze except in parts of NC. The 30 degree line is on the NC and VA border. Temps no lower than 35 anywhere in SC through day 16.

That's perfectly fine with me. I don't need the cold or deep troughs in early November , I would be fine if we didnt get a freeze until Mid December, save the cold for when it could possibly do some good! :)

That's perfectly fine with me. I don't need the cold or deep troughs in early November , I would be fine if we didnt get a freeze until Mid December, save the cold for when it could possibly do some good! :)

mid December would 've extremely late for the first freeze wouldn't it ? Here in Georgia our average first freeze is in early November

I'm absolutely shocked no one has mentioned this mornings Euro?

From the mountain thread, Met85 and I have been discussing it for a while.

Euro Ensemble # of accumulating snowfall members for next Saturday morning:

KTBN (Boone): 10/50 members

KAVL (Asheville): 6/50 members

K1H5 (Frankiln): 10/50 members

All are up from this AM run but still a ways out.  

A beautiful cold morning with a low of 27 degrees! Well it looks like this weekend will take the cake to say for one of the best weekends of October. Get out and enjoy it. The Euro and the GFS are way apart on anything for next weekend. The Euro has a cutoff right in the SE and that would surly bring us an early snow but I do not buy it and the GFS is a glancing blow with most of the cold staying further north. I have a feeling we maybe seeing a lot of back and forth until the middle of next week.

Wow big hop this morning in accumulating snowfall members on the Euro Ensemble for WNC:

KAVL: 18 members and 1 with +8" hahaha

KTBN: 24 members and 6 are 6"+

Macon: 19 members and 2 with +8"

ETA: Euro deterministic gives KAVL 14" by Tuesday.... I think it might be hung over from a night out last night.

These are mid winter type graphs I am looking at and it isn't even November!

Yep Met lots of disparity.  You guys can probably guess that I am partial to the Euro (mainly because it has more pretty things to look at and its long range verification lol) but there is a large discrepancy between what it and the GFS currently see for next week.  I am just glad we are already model watching regardless of how next weekend pans out.

12z GFS coming in colder with a stronger high pressure initally (1037mb) over Iowa/Minnesota instead of the great lakes but then the high weakens a bit whereas previous runs keep it stronger but it still centered 200 miles further south.  Looks like a decent NWFS for the NC mountains.  Has a nice snowstorm for the North.

Even if you can get that storm to cut off directly over the apps that's a potential snow for the high peaks

Did you mean to include the word only at the end of that statement, Marion?  Because if the Euro is showing snowfall for Asheville and Boone, then of course it would also be snowing at the high peaks.

The ground temps would be fine for the mountain cities, so are you suggesting that the upper air properties would only support snowfall for the highest of the mountain peaks?

Archived