• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

Folks this is an early season classic storm with cold air aloft working its way to the surface.

it's not going to be cold over the entire Southeast it will be the coldest where the cold pool resides plus mountains will also benefit from this don't make it out more than it is.

once you get to early November it's usually cold enough that you can start entertaining snow for areas with elevation 3000 feet or higher.

East Tennessee, Smokies, Western Carolina's North Georgia lok the coldest with temps possible in the 40's in the daytime hours. Once you roughly get to Atlanta to Birmingham and you've lost elevation it'll be no big deal it'll be well up into the 50s

Remember Metro Atlanta's elevation is officialy 1050 feet, and ranges up to 3200 feet in Dawson county. I am at 1124 feet 2 miles from downtown.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks this is an early season classic storm with cold air aloft working its way to the surface.

it's not going to be cold over the entire Southeast it will be the coldest where the cold pool resides plus mountains will also benefit from this don't make it out more than it is.

once you get to early November it's usually cold enough that you can start entertaining snow for areas with elevation 3000 feet or higher.

East Tennessee, Smokies, Western Carolina's North Georgia lok the coldest with temps possible in the 40's in the daytime hours. Once you roughly get to Atlanta to Birmingham and you've lost elevation it'll be no big deal it'll be well up into the 50s

I disagree about highs in the 50s being no big deal, especially since the start of the week will be in the 80s. That is a major cool down.

you can't seriously tell me that you consider Dawson county a part of metro Atlanta

I was about to chime in on this. The highest point of Atlanta is 1050 ft, but the lowest is 758 I think. The 3000+ ft areas are nowhere near Atlanta.

Maybe I'll take the day off and hike up to Mt. Sterling or Mt. Leconte for this. I think the chances are good for a 1-3" or even 2-4" out of this above 6000 ft.

This has NWF snow written all over it as of now for the high WNC mountains.  Euro this am loses the idea of the cutoff low and without sufficient blocking in place the system stays much farther north only bringing backside upslope moisture to WNC.  Still a ways to go and 12/50 ensemble members give KAVL some type of snowfall but with the Euro trending toward the GFS, I would say anything more then a dusting for the valley would be a stretch.  Nonetheless it will be fun to track and should be a nice precursor for the winter ahead for folks up here in the mountains.

Excuse the hell out of me, but you're fu$%^$ wrong. No need to be an ass.

"The Atlanta metropolitan area was first defined in 1950 as Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb and Clayton counties. Butts, Cherokee, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Henry, Newton, Rockdale and Walton counties were added after the 1970 census, with Barrow and Coweta counties joining in 1980 and Bartow, Carroll, Paulding, Pickens and Spalding counties in 1990."

That stupid link you showed is nothing but a relocation guide, it has nothing to do with anything. 

If you would go back a re-read (if you ever read it in the first place) the first link you posted, you'd see how wrong you are. 

Don't come around here trying to pick a fight, because you've picked it with the wrong person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area " he Atlanta metropolitan area was first defined in 1950 as Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb and Clayton counties. Butts, Cherokee, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Henry, Newton, Rockdale and Walton counties were added after the 1970 census, with Barrow and Coweta counties joining in 1980 and Bartow, Carroll, Paulding, Pickens and Spalding counties in 1990.

Atlanta's larger combined statistical area (CSA) adds the Gainesville, Georgia MSA, Athens-Clarke County, Georgia MSA and the LaGrange, Georgia, Thomaston, Georgia, Jefferson, Georgia, Calhoun, Georgia and Cedartown, Georgia micropolitan areas, for a total 2012 population of 6,162,195." 

Let me explain this to you... 

There is a metro area (the counties that were listed)

There is a metro statistical area (MSA) - includes more

There is a combined statistical area (CSA) - includes almost all of north Georgia

They are all different in terms of total area. If your definition of metro is CSA good for you. Those of us who actually live here, and have for 30 years, say the metro area is the metro area. 

okay, man.. but Dawson county is in the MSA, not just the Combined, as you clearly corrected me over. Most people when they use the term metro they are referring to the MSA. So I stand corrected on that, it's not in the Metro area, but it's not merely in the Combined Area, as you so triumphantly corrected me on. 

okay, man.. but Dawson county is in the MSA, not just the Combined, as you clearly corrected me over. Most people when they use the term metro they are referring to the MSA. So I stand corrected on that, it's not in the Metro area, but it's not merely in the Combined Area, as you so triumphantly corrected me on. 

No, most people DON'T use the MSA when talking about the Atlanta metro area. That statement is flat WRONG. Most people have no idea what the MSA is or that it even exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga,_TN-GA_Metropolitan_Statistical_Area Where the hell is a link for the population of just the Chattanooga Metro, since that's a different term apparently.. can't seem to find one. Oh wait, it doesn't exist! The Chattanooga Metro and The Chattanooga MSA are synonymous.. 

Thanks for the education though.. 

I just asked my wife who is a lifelong (48 years) resident of Atlanta (and a teacher) and has only lived in two metro counties all her life...

1. What do you consider the metro area? - She listed 5 counties

2. Have you ever heard of the Metro Statistical Area? - No 

Although she's one of the smartest people I know, geography is not her forte. But I think you would get similar responses from just about anyone walking down the street here. Atlanta is sprawling and covers a massive area. But never would the north Georgia mountains be considered the Atlanta metro area. 

Archived