• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

12z GFS coming in colder with a stronger high pressure initally (1037mb) over Iowa/Minnesota instead of the great lakes but then the high weakens a bit whereas previous runs keep it stronger but it still centered 200 miles further south. Looks like a decent NWFS for the NC mountains. Has a nice snowstorm for the North.

Not much blocking on that run.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you mean to include the word only at the end of that statement, Marion? Because if the Euro is showing snowfall for Asheville and Boone, then of course it would also be snowing at the high peaks.

The ground temps would be fine for the mountain cities, so are you suggesting that the upper air properties would only support snowfall for the highest of the mountain peaks?

What I was meaning was that if the euro adjusted itself away from its normal SE bias, you're probably talking more a storm that develops along the Apps rather than along the coastline. In that case the cold pool would still be good enough for the higher peaks.

I'm wondering how cold it will be too. Probably not cold at all for us in Dixie. James spann says early November will be warm and dry. FFC says it will be normal to slightly below for temps.

Hopefully TWC is right. They are saying highs in the 50s next weekend. But I guess TWC is not a reliable source.

RAH long range..

THE BOTTOM LINE... THE PROBABILITY OF THE FIRST KILLING FROST OR FREEZE FOR OUR REGION IS INCREASING FOR NEXT WEEKEND. HIGHS MAY REMAIN IN THE 50S BY SATURDAY... WITH LOWS BY SATURDAY NIGHT POTENTIALLY ENDING THE GROWING SEASON FOR MOST OF OUR WESTERN AND NORTHERN ZONES IF NOT MORE OF THE REGION.  

I'm wondering how cold it will be too. Probably not cold at all for us in Dixie. James spann says early November will be warm and dry. FFC says it will be normal to slightly below for temps.

Hopefully TWC is right. They are saying highs in the 50s next weekend. But I guess TWC is not a reliable source.

Have you ever seen James Spann or FFC jump on board forecasting a major snowstorm 7 days out? Why would you expect anything different when it comes to forecasting a significant temperature swing? If the models stay consistent on a cold weekend next weekend, they'll gradually forecast lower highs/lows throughout next week leading up to the weekend. Be patient.

I remember this being mentioned here before, but TWC relies heavily on the GFS past day 7 if I'm not mistaken so my understanding is whatever the model runs are saying from days 7-10 it will likely be reflected in their forecast.

I heard someone saying that they were hoping there wouldn't be a big storm in the fall since that may reduce our chances of having a cold, snowy winter, like in 2012 with Sandy. Is there really a correlation between the two ?

Thats only in oct snowstorm!nov don't count in that.

I heard someone saying that they were hoping there wouldn't be a big storm in the fall since that may reduce our chances of having a cold, snowy winter, like in 2012 with Sandy. Is there really a correlation between the two ?

I recently found a partial correlation of Oct./early Nov. nontropical related nor'easter frequency (along the NE US coast) and warm ENSO. So, if anything, the one they just had up there is not at all a surprise since we're in warm ENSO. If there is a very rare 2nd one as per the Euro, it would make sense that it would be a warm ENSO year to have it. Due to the rarity and it being so far out in time, I wouldn't even consider a bet on the Euro having the right idea this far out. However, should a 2nd nor'easter occur up there, the closest analog I could find would be the great Oct. of 1991, which had a midmonth nor'easter followed by the Perfect Storm. That, too, was a warm ENSO. Of all of the years 1968-2004, 1991 was the only one for which I could find two although the 2nd one was partially tropical related.

Folks this is an early season classic storm with cold air aloft working its way to the surface.

it's not going to be cold over the entire Southeast it will be the coldest where the cold pool resides plus mountains will also benefit from this don't make it out more than it is.

once you get to early November it's usually cold enough that you can start entertaining snow for areas with elevation 3000 feet or higher.

East Tennessee, Smokies, Western Carolina's North Georgia lok the coldest with temps possible in the 40's in the daytime hours. Once you roughly get to Atlanta to Birmingham and you've lost elevation it'll be no big deal it'll be well up into the 50s

18z GFS says what storm? What cold? Ha I love it, this is what we live for fellow weather enthusiast. Which model will win out, the more realistic GFS solution or the wild solution the Euro has hinted at? Bets should be on the GFS but we can't discount the Euro completely.

If take the euro at 8 days over GFS anyday!

Archived