WILL BE A FEW SHWRS OUTSIDE THE MTNS...ESP IN THE NC PIEDMONT FRIDAY
NIGHT. AS FOR SNOW AMOUNTS...THERE/S STILL A LOT OF UNCERTAINTY. BUT
AT LEAST 1-3" IN THE USUAL NW FLOW UPSLOPE AREAS LOOKS
LIKELY...
HEADING INTO SATURDAY. TEMPS WILL BE SIMILAR TO THURSDAY/S
READING DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY...BUT SHUD BE COOLER FRIDAY
NIGHT...AS STRONG CAA CRANKS UP. TEMPS IN THE 20S MTNS AND 30S BELOW
ABOUT 3500 FT.

If it does snow this weekend... for the record so far this season Euro 1 GFS 0.

GFS took some time to play catch up while Euro had it nailed down a week out.

That is a valid point but look at last year... 11-12-13. Many places including Roxboro got near 60 midday only to have snow falling in the 30s by 4 pm. If the cold air is true as its showing it will be cold enough. Besides timing is near prefect with this. The s/w around MS,AL Friday afternoon working its way through morning hours mid day Sat through the Caroinas and VA.

Nobody outside of the mountains will see accumulations, and doubtful they will see any flakes. It'll take a while for the low-levels to even get near freezing, probably after the storm is passed. This is November 1st we're talking here.

Yes, only this time he will most likely be 100% correct.

It is possible to get snow showers in the lower elevations if this kind of system materializes. BUT what is probable (if system materializes), is the lower elevations receive light rain with temps staying in the low to mid 40s. The probable solution would still be noteworthy for this time of year.  

**I actually do not want this system to directly effect us. I fear the cloudiness/winds could hamper our chances at getting the first freeze.     

It's awesome how on the new NAM, the 850 line can make it all the way to northern Florida and off the coast down there, but it simply can't move into eastern NC.  I love the NC warm bubble shield that, no matter where the upper low travels (north, south, east, west), always exists and cannot be overcome.

It's awesome how on the new NAM, the 850 line can make it all the way to northern Florida and off the coast down there, but it simply can't move into eastern NC.  I love the NC warm bubble shield that, no matter where the upper low travels (north, south, east, west), always exists and cannot be overcome.

We're closer to the low pressure. It's Mother Nature's way of saying "No way you low elevation SE folk get snow this time of year".

That's why I wouldn't mind if it developed away from us, allowing for more cold air to filter in (so we can get that long awaited freeze).    

What warm bubble shield? lol. 

Its not really bc of that imagery shield. Its the angle of the cold... Normally the cold filters in from the N/NW before a snow but very rare do you have a pattern that is so amped the cold air comes in from the S/SW. Not to mention such a strong ULL so far south.

Its not really bc of that imagery shield. Its the angle of the cold... Normally the cold filters in from the N/NW before a snow but very rare do you have a pattern that is so amped the cold air comes in from the S/SW. Not to mention such a strong ULL so far south.

Yeah, let us get the cold air first once in a while , jeez! :)

I didn't see your analysis.. where was it posted?  MBY looks to get flakes so the PBP was for the mountain folks.  As a fellow Niner I would hope that you can respect that.

No, sorry.  Meant to reference my superstition of getting early October SE snow/big NE Noreaster = warm boring winter. 

No, sorry. Meant to reference my superstition of getting early October SE snow/big NE Noreaster = warm boring winter.

My fault.. Didn't mean to be rude. I hope people realize here that I am an eternal optimist and will always be upbeat about the models. I still think a few in the northern piedmont get a surprise flake or two from this!

Thanks Falls!

You mean there's not really a shield?  :(

Except this will be Nov snow which is a good omen.

lol.  Not a big enough difference to quench my almost baseless fears.  I am forever prejudiced against early season snow and will wish that it snows nowhere in the SE until after December 1.   May this storm fall apart and evaporate into eternal virga.  :nerdsmiley:

Archived