joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a serious high pressure sliding SSE out of Canada just after 180 hours on the parallel run.  The parallel and the regular GFS don't match at all in the medium to long range.  

Well...comparing the current operational model (27km resolution) to the parallel (13km), I would think it would be obvious that one may have a different look than the other at Days 6-7-8...that's why the GFS is being upgraded

Anyway... on the the parallel run we have a 1050mb surface high dropping into the Northern Plains...that verbatim would cover the Eastern 2/3rds of America in January type cold...

post-1418-0-35086600-1415126405_thumb.pn

post-1418-0-15692000-1415126423_thumb.pn

Euro and Para-GFS looks identical temp wise.  Well below normal east of the Rockies in 7-10 days. 

Just a personal opinion of mine...the European has been golden over the past few weeks in sniffing out events in the Day 7-8 range. If this new version of the GFS can get in that same camp it will make medium range forecasting a lot more desirable...

You can thank that massive beast churning in the Western Pacific, Typhoon Euri is heading for the Bering Sea and gotta believe that will amp the flow and send a piece of cold downstream...

Yup. Found this earlier on Typhoon Nuri.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/11/04/typhoon-nuri-forecast-to-kick-start-a-parade-of-cold-outbreaks-in-eastern-u-s/?tid=trending_strip_5

Tony,

I agree that the bulk of N GA has absolutely nothing about which to complain based on the winters 2008-9 through 2013-14 as a whole. If a north Georgian were to suggest otherwise, it would suggest being out of touch with climo. However, to be fair, I don't know that anyone in N GA is actually complaining. If anyone were doing that from there, I'd probably put them in the chronic whiner/complainer/rarely content category.

thats for sure - lol.  i am sure not complaining. the last couple of winters have been fantastic - reminds me a lot of the 70s/80s with multiple chances, several events, snow, ice and the works.  last year's addition of extreme cold just added to the continuing of great winters.  guess i am just nervous that our streak may end at some point haha

Just a personal opinion of mine...the European has been golden over the past few weeks in sniffing out events in the Day 7-8 range. If this new version of the GFS can get in that same camp it will make medium range forecasting a lot more desirable...

Yeah the Euro has been really doing well recently recognizing pattern changes in the medium range. Would be nice to put some extra stock into the GFS also.

thats for sure - lol. i am sure not complaining. the last couple of winters have been fantastic - reminds me a lot of the 70s/80s with multiple chances, several events, snow, ice and the works. last year's addition of extreme cold just added to the continuing of great winters. guess i am just nervous that our streak may end at some point haha

On the other side NW SC is complaining a little. Been left out on some really good opportunities but my hope is this year we make up for it!

thats for sure - lol. i am sure not complaining. the last couple of winters have been fantastic - reminds me a lot of the 70s/80s with multiple chances, several events, snow, ice and the works. last year's addition of extreme cold just added to the continuing of great winters. guess i am just nervous that our streak may end at some point haha

the last couple of winters were fantastic where you live? 2012-13 winter was horrible here. I think we're due a few good winters in a row after the horrible 2011-12 and 2012-13 winters.

This is part of the trigger...

.WEATHER BRIEFING.

THIS WEATHER SITUATION IS DEVELOPING FROM REMNANTS OF SUPER
TYPHOON NURI.

TODAY...NURI IS LOCATED ABOUT 700 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTH OF TOKYO.
THE CYCLONE WILL QUICKLY MOVE INTO THE NORTH PACIFIC LATE THURSDAY
AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE WESTERN BERING SEA. AS THIS HAPPENS...THE
LOW WILL UNDERGO A PERIOD OF RAPID CYCLOGENESIS. CURRENT FORECAST
MODEL GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THE LOW DROPS FROM AROUND 970 MB LATE
THURSDAY NIGHT...TO SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 918 TO 922 MB LATE FRIDAY
NIGHT. THIS WOULD CREATE A SIGNIFICANT EVENT AS THE CURRENT RECORD
LOWEST PRESSURE OBSERVED IN THE BERING SEA IS 925 MB MEASURED AT
DUTCH HARBOR ON OCTOBER 25 1977.

.WESTERN AND CENTRAL ALEUTIANS.

A LARGE SWATH OF HURRICANE FORCE WINDS WILL BE POSSIBLE FROM
SHEMYA EASTWARD TO ADAK AND ATKA LATE FRIDAY AND AGAIN ON
SATURDAY. SEAS WILL BUILD TO AROUND 45 FEET OR POSSIBLY
HIGHER...DUE TO THE STRONG PRESSURE FALLS AND RESULTING HIGH
WINDS. EXPECT HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS FOR ALL UNSHELTERED MARINE
VESSELS.

.PRIBILOF ISLANDS.

STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL IMPACT THE PRIBILOF ISLANDS SATURDAY
AND SUNDAY. HIGH SEAS OF 22 TO 32 FEET ON A PERSISTENT SOUTHWESTERLY
FETCH ARE EXPECTED. EXPECT HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS FOR ALL UNSHELTERED
MARINE VESSELS.

.SOUTHWEST ALASKA.

MINOR COASTAL FLOODING AND COASTAL EROSION MAY DEVELOP ON SUNDAY
AND MONDAY AS HIGH SEAS IN THE SOUTHERN BERING REACH SOUTHWEST
ALASKA. HOWEVER...THESE SEAS SHOULD NOT BE AS HIGH AS WHAT THE
PRIBILOF ISLANDS WILL EXPERIENCE.

.FORECAST CONFIDENCE.

THERE IS HIGH FORECAST CONFIDENCE IN THE OVERALL INTENSITY OF THE
LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM. HOWEVER...THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY AS
TO THE EXACT PLACEMENT AND TRACK OF THE LOW AS IT MOVES ACROSS
THE BERING SEA.

THE SITUATION WILL BE MONITORED CLOSELY AND THIS STATEMENT
UPDATED THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEK WHEN NEW DATA IS
AVAILABLE. CONTINUE TO MONITOR MARINE VHF, NOAA WEATHER RADIO, THE
ALASKA WEATHER SHOW AND YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OUTLETS FOR UPDATES...AS
WELL AS THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SOCIAL MEDIA AND
WEATHER.GOV/ANCHORAGE.

$
MCLAY/SNIDER

I agree, he is bullish and worth the subscription price.  I recommend him to everyone.

+1

I've always liked Robert's post. Well thought out, and well explained. I rank Robert right up near the top of all the people that forecast winter weather in the southeast. Worth every penny to me.

its too early for this pattern to help us like we would want. That's too bad.

That's only if the pattern doesn't repeat. I think we got so badly burned in 2011 that it's tough to take a lot of this seriously....but what we know is that patterns have a tendency to repeat. If we can get a -AO and -NAO started early this year and it repeats then we will be in serious business. Now add in some serious +PNA and you have a recipe for a great winter especially for your neck of the woods. Time will tell what happens but I find it hard not to be excited. 

I understand the tendency of not getting excited this early in the season. However it seems like in recent years the weather has done crazy things and things that just does not fit climatology.

For example the crazy cool air mass we had in July I never would expected that. So would a November snowstorm for someone in the southeast/mid-south be that huge of a surprise anymore?

Archived