joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The El Nino is strengthening...there's no doubt about that.  So, I don't know where you're getting that it's failed.  Why are you even looking at the GFS anymore?  It's awful in the medium to long range.  It hasn't even been matching it's parallel run after 120 hours.  The Euro looks a lot better in the medium to long range if you're going to try and possibly sneak a wintry precip chance (mainly north of the folks in the SE forum).  Sure, it isn't as cold, but looks good for at least a few shots at rain with a WSW or SW flow across the Deep South.  

jsheltey is the Eeyore of the forums. You get used to it.

The El Nino is strengthening...there's no doubt about that.  So, I don't know where you're getting that it's failed.  Why are you even looking at the GFS anymore?  It's awful in the medium to long range.  It hasn't even been matching it's parallel run after 120 hours.  The Euro looks a lot better in the medium to long range if you're going to try and possibly sneak a wintry precip chance (mainly north of the folks in the SE forum).  Sure, it isn't as cold, but looks good for at least a few shots at rain with a WSW or SW flow across the Deep South.

All the same, it has been rather dry for the past month or so, and even the Euro keeps us fairly dry through 10 days, with only one other storm likely to affect is in a way that could produce more than token precip.

So yeah, where's the Nino wetness? I've seen wetter La Nina falls than this one. Seriously.

IT is early (mid November), but we need to watch overrunning potential around 11/14-15 for mid-Atlantic. SW flow aloft over arctic front.

Thanks. Yep, the signal is undeniable on the models. The fact it is early calls for some conservatism, but the synoptic setup if true is very interesting. Anomalous arctic high with overruning can produce wintry weather as early as mid-november. I attached the 00z GGEM sleet/freezing rain forecasts.

post-25-0-98541300-1415283578_thumb.gif

post-25-0-14750400-1415283580_thumb.gif

Thanks. Yep, the signal is undeniable on the models. The fact it is early calls for some conservatism, but the synoptic setup if true is very interesting. Anomalous arctic high with overruning can produce wintry weather as early as mid-november. I attached the 00z GGEM sleet/freezing rain forecasts.

Plenty of dry/cold air to tap to make this a possibility:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=11&model_dd=06&model_init_hh=06&fhour=216&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

All the same, it has been rather dry for the past month or so, and even the Euro keeps us fairly dry through 10 days, with only one other storm likely to affect is in a way that could produce more than token precip.

So yeah, where's the Nino wetness? I've seen wetter La Nina falls than this one. Seriously.

Here is WildreMann in winter..  Same comments different year.  

2l91gls.jpg

Come on guys the pattern looks favorable, just because the models aren't showing a large storm currently doesn't mean the potential isn't there.  The doom and gloom is pretty lame.

Here is WildreMann in winter.. Same comments different year.

2l91gls.jpg

Come on guys the pattern looks favorable, just because the models aren't showing a large storm currently doesn't mean the potential isn't there. The doom and gloom is pretty lame.

Especially when you have a SW flow over most of the SE part of the country. Models sometimes can't pick up on little disturbances riding that SW flow until just a few days before. But the SW flow is key...not to mention another EPAC tropical distance that will provide moisture.

Are we really seeing this much negativity at the beginning of November? Starts earlier every year, I guess. Good grief.

Widremann has been this way since I started posting on Eastern back in 2005 or so ( and for those who have been here longer I am sure he was like that way before I came along), he is practically a institution on to himself and no SE snowstrom thread is complete without Widremann coming in an poo pooing on the parade. The rest of these debbie downers are just posers who wish they had it like Widremann does....

I have the next 10 days off from work, I am loving the cold signal for next week, if reminds me of how 2009-2010 flipped to winter only it is 2 weeks sooner......

Great to see you post. Hope you come in more during the winter. Looks like there might be a lot to post about.

Widremann has been this way since I started posting on Eastern back in 2005 or so ( and for those who have been here longer I am sure he was like that way before I came along), he is practically a institution on to himself and no SE snowstrom thread is complete without Widremann coming in an poo pooing on the parade. The rest of these debbie downers are just posers who wish they had it like Widremann does....

I have the next 10 days off from work, I am loving the cold signal for next week, if reminds me of how 2009-2010 flipped to winter only it is 2 weeks sooner......

Widre is fine. It's just that there's a lot of this from a lot of sources already. It feels a little early yet.

Widre is fine. It's just that there's a lot of this from a lot of sources already. It feels a little early yet.

Tell that to the models lol they running some pretty outrageous stuff for November which is fueling all this stuff, climo strongly suggest snow is unlikely but hell who would EVER think that the midlands of SC could get 3-5" on Dec 1st much less Nov 1st. Bozart said one time that some years it just wants to snow and it seems this is gonna be one of those years.

Archived