joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how early a CAD event has produced 0.25+ of ZR in the SE. Mid Nov. is very early

Worst ice storm I ever experienced was about a day or two into December 2002 or 3? No power for 7 days, so that's only roughly 2 weeks ahead of next weekends time frame, so it's possible! Had atleast 1/2 inch accretion and inch of sleet, temps 26-28 all day, 65 day before.

lol - i cant believe we already have winter wx showing up on the models in NOV! i would normally dismiss it outright, but hey look at SC and the snow nov 1 :)  i have experienced some major ice storms the first week or so in Dec, but do not really recall any in november.  i am still dubious but if it keeps showing up maybe our winter will really start off with a bang.

Wonder how early a CAD event has produced 0.25+ of ZR in the SE. Mid Nov. is very early

For the city of Atlanta, itself, it appears to have been 11/24/1971. Interestingly, this came on the heels of the latest major ATL ZR on record, 3/25/1971! The 11/24/1971 ZR was severe as far south as Alpharetta (a northern ATL burb).

Regarding this same storm (11-24-5/1971):

"For Northeast Georgia into northwest South Carolina and the western Piedmont of North Carolina

Duke district manager in Greenville 'one of worst catastrophes of recent years'; more damage than usual because trees still had leaves"

Edit:

Nov. KATL accumulating snows: 11/27/1912: 2.2"; 11/11/1968: 1.0" (El Nino); 11/23/1975: 0.6"

I don't get that move at all.  This is a classic developing Nino.  

I agree, I don't get why it dropped from October's runs, unless they thought ASO reading would have been higher than 0.2.  I guess there is an outside chance of SON hitting 0.5, with a great chance of OND hitting that threshold.  Which means it would have to last until FMA to satisfy CPC's criteria of 5 consecutive overlapping 3 month seasons.  I guess it doesn't really matter, this may end up being like 79/80 where only 4 consecutive overlapping 3 month seasons occurred.

What did CPC have for Sept?  I believe they had Oct at 0.5.

For the city of Atlanta, itself, it appears to have been 11/24/1971. Interestingly, this came on the heels of the latest major ATL ZR on record, 3/25/1971! The 11/24/1971 ZR was severe as far south as Alpharetta (a northern ATL burb).

"For Northeast Georgia into northwest South Carolina and the western Piedmont of North Carolina

Duke district manager in Greenville 'one of worst catastrophes of recent years'; more damage than usual because trees still had leaves"

Edit:

Nov. KATL accumulating snows: 11/27/1912: 2.2"; 11/11/1968: 1.0" (El Nino); 11/23/1975: 0.6"

GaWx,

Are you going to be up to give us our first Euro pbp tonight? It looks kind of interesting and it's inside of 10 days.

Edit:

Wasn't there a big November snow in 1950 ? I thought Rome got like feet of snow and I guess Atlanta got nothing ?

Not a WeatherBell subscriber so links don't open.  :~(

I just edited the post by saving and attaching rather than using the link...it may work now.

If not...I'll briefly go over them.

31/50 ensemble members show accumulating snow for Asheville (1.5 inches ENS mean) and 22/50 show accumulating snow for Hickory and Greensboro (1 inch ENS mean)

I just edited the post by saving and attaching rather than using the link...it may work now.

If not...I'll briefly go over them.

31/50 ensemble members show accumulating snow for Asheville (1.5 inches ENS mean) and 22/50 show accumulating snow for Hickory and Greensboro (1 inch ENS mean)

Got it; works; thanks!

Euro ensembles are showing a back end overrunning ice to snow scenario it appears, however much more delayed than the old-GFS. The most exciting thing about this setup is the fact that the HP is a result of the Aleutian low revving up as we head towards winter, which raises the heights over western Canada. That allows this HP to slide down from northern Canada and virtually sit over the northern plains. That is generally a cornerstone of most great SE winter storm setups. With such a strong +PNA setup, the pattern slows down and pacfic air is sealed off from flooding the CONUS. It's also an exciting pattern if it repeats throughout winter. If I have time I really want to make a winter forecast in the next few weeks. This winter could be historical.

I attached an OP EURO 500mb height pattern below for NHEM. That pacific pattern and western Canadian pattern is the best we've seen since 2002/2003. I have seen research that suggests PNA heights are more important than NAO phases when it comes to specific winter storms in the southeast. This could indeed be a very early season storm next week for someone in the SE and Mid Atlantic.

post-233-0-34081200-1415329606_thumb.gif

GaWx,

Are you going to be up to give us our first Euro pbp tonight? It looks kind of interesting and it's inside of 10 days.

Well, being that I set my clocks/watches back 3 hours instead of one and, therefore, get the complete Euro by midnight :) :), I likely will be up. If so, I'll try to remember to do a little bit of pbp for any possible threat. I'm loving being in this time zone. I'm on CO time and don't even have to travel there. Why didn't I do this years ago? ;)

Understanding that many respected mets with wholly differing "personalities" and for varying reasons are generally calling for a colder than normal and possibly wetter than normal SE winter from December into March --

Has anyone done any study or analysis on what has historically happened when we get a really abnormal cold in November (as seems to be progged) as we move into Dec, then into Jan & Feb?

As I see these models showing such early cold and snow potential, I keep thinking about the pendulum on my mantle clock ...  and thinking about the old folks since passed I grew up around saying cold in the SE lasts 6 weeks, whenever it comes ....

Has anyone done any study or analysis on what has historically happened when we get a really abnormal cold in November (as seems to be progged) as we move into Dec, then into Jan & Feb?

Well, when November has been cold in Atlanta during anything from high end neutral + ENSO to low end moderate Nino, the winters have had more of a tendency to be.....ooops......never mind. I'd better stop here. ;)

Well, when November has been cold in Atlanta during anything from high end neutral + ENSO to low end moderate Nino, the winters have tended to have more of a tendency to be.....ooops......never mind. I'd better stop here. ;)

Please don't stop.

That was a serious question I asked -- has anyone got any data or a study on cold Nov's vs. long range SE winters? I've scoured and can't find anything.

Understanding that many respected mets with wholly differing "personalities" and for varying reasons are generally calling for a colder than normal and possibly wetter than normal SE winter from December into March --

As I see these models showing such early cold and snow potential, I keep thinking about the pendulum on my mantle clock ...  and thinking about the old folks since passed I grew up around saying cold in the SE lasts 6 weeks, whenever it comes ....

Just one example, but...

0yU3RLm.png

Please don't stop.

That was a serious question I asked -- has anyone got any data or a study on cold Nov's vs. long range SE winters? I've scoured and can't find anything.

pcbjr,

OK, I'm going to tell you but I'm going to whisper it to you and with some dashes for added protection. Those winters following cold Novembers for the noted ENSO analog range have had more of a tendency to be c--- vs. when Nov. is warm based strictly on KATL data. I recommend you keep kind of quiet about this. ;)

Just one example, but...

0yU3RLm.png

I was living in N Indiana on the shore of Lake Michigan that winter.  YIKES it was. But I'm a born and bred southerner, and for the life of me, can't find anything that discusses cold Nov vs. the remainder of a SE winter.

If anyone has any data, it would be intersting to see and then watch as we move forward long term.

pcbjr,

OK, I'm going to tell you but I'm going to whisper it to you and with some dashes for added protection. Those winters following cold Novembers for the noted ENSO analog range have had more of a tendency to be c--- vs. when Nov. is warm based strictly on KATL data. I recommend you keep kind of quiet about this. ;)

:unsure:  Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't think this threat next week is going to be disappearing anytime soon...looks legit.

In the CPC 6-10 day discussion, they mentioned how the ensembles are showing good agreement..."model spread is low"

6-10 DAY OUTLOOK FOR NOV 12 - 16 2014  TODAY'S MODEL SOLUTIONS ARE IN EXCELLENT AGREEMENT IN PREDICTING A VERY  AMPLIFIED 500-HPA FLOW PATTERN OVER MOST OF THE FORECAST DOMAIN. THE MODELS  AGREE IN PREDICTING A STRONG TROUGH OVER THE BERING SEA. DOWNSTREAM OF THIS  FEATURE, RIDGING IS FORECAST ALONG THE WEST COAST OF NORTH AMERICA WHILE A DEEP  TROUGH IS PREDICTED OVER THE EASTERN AND CENTRAL CONUS. MODEL SPREAD IS LOW  OVER EASTERN NORTH AMERICA INDICATING GOOD AGREEMENT AMONG THE ENSEMBLE  MEMBERS.

Archived