Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

jburns,

Respectully disagreeing, questioning, and discussing is one thing. However, disrespectfully bashing is another.

My post was a statement, not a premise for debate.  I have moved from interacting with this, into reacting to it. You(plural) need to adjust accordingly.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know which topic to post this in, so I'll throw this out in here...

Is anyone else surprised that despite all these cold surges, very strong fronts, and radical temperature plunges, the SE has pretty much avoided their second 'severe storm/tornadic season'? I'm not complaining at all, but it seems unusual that we haven't really had to deal with any significant severe weather this fall.

Is anyone else surprised that despite all these cold surges, very strong fronts, and radical temperature plunges, the SE has pretty much avoided their second 'severe storm/tornadic season'? I'm not complaining at all, but it seems unusual that we haven't really had to deal with any significant severe weather this fall.

There's no moisture! It's dry as a desert around my neck of the woods. Making dry or mostly dry frontal passages. The gulf has been mostly closed, I think dry air is bad for instability .?

18z GFS has about the same look as the 12z for the day 6/7 event. Maybe a little colder with the 850s pushing into NC to keep or change many to snow. STILL, at this time, these are details that should be taken with a grain of salt.

The great thing is something keeps showing up on the models, both for 6 to 7 days and the 16 to 19 period as mentioned. The trends are good.

There's no moisture! It's dry as a desert around my neck of the woods. Making dry or mostly dry frontal passages. The gulf has been mostly closed, I think dry air is bad for instability .?

The 18z GFS says we finally get rain or maybe snow in the long range. Hopefully it'll be right.

Yes, usually in NC it is the week before or the week of Thanksgiving. I think NC still leads the nation in deaths to overnight tornadoes in November. This year it looks like we might have to deal with winter weather instead. I guess it is a good thing we didn't have really warm weather before this extreme cold that is on the way.

To my untrained map reading eye, the 0z run of Euro, didnt look that cold to me. Chilly next weekend then warmup by 17th , followed by another cold shot

Better watch out.  If they hear you talk about a warm up, Winter is over! 

Anyway, Euro doesn't look quite right with that "warm-up".  I'd wait for the ensemble/12z run tomorrow.  The Euro hasn't been immune to major flips this fall.  In fact, it has been about like the GFS showing some crazy ridge scenarios that never really happened.  Wish I wasn't drunk & tired, I can post some images/links about it tomorrow. :P

Edit: this isn't to say we wont have a period of warmer temps.. maybe even above average... it is November after all.

Yeah, the Euro is a furnace day 10,  :whistle: ...in all seriousness, the trough is a little west of where you want it for us to feel the brunt of the cold but it's very cold day 10 and continues on through day 15 on the Euro ENS.  

Edit:  In fact day 11-15 look really good, if this was Dec 8th I would be more excited, but it's still nice to see.

ecmwf_T850a_us_11.png

For my Western Carolina peeps, I'll just throw out there the temperature averages for GSP and Asheville for this time of the year...

GSP: 62

AVL: 59

The maps starting Day 5 are around 10 below normal for WNC. The maps shown on the Euro from Days 7-10 are anywhere from 15-20 degrees below average...and for the Upstate and Foothills on Day 9 (18z Monday 17th) thanks to a surface wedge keeping the temps in the 30's that would be a departure of about 25 below normal...

In a literal sense this cold outbreak coming may not seem as impressive to some...but relative to climatology this is going to be very significant...I know for sure that I would not want to see these departures in January...oh wait, we already have this year.

Falls,

Interesting idea. However, I'd prefer not to do so much refining for two reasons:

1) More refining reduces the sample size and, therefore, statistical credibility.

2) That would take a whole lot more work and wouldn't necessarily be so cut and dry to try to classify.

Larry, joe d aleo has a great post up this morning with a cold Nov matching up well with his cold winter analogs.

For my Western Carolina peeps, I'll just throw out there the temperature averages for GSP and Asheville for this time of the year...

GSP: 62

AVL: 59

The maps starting Day 5 are around 10 below normal for WNC. The maps shown on the Euro from Days 7-10 are anywhere from 15-20 degrees below average...and for the Upstate and Foothills on Day 9 (18z Monday 17th) thanks to a surface wedge keeping the temps in the 30's that would be a departure of about 25 below normal...

In a literal sense this cold outbreak coming may not seem as impressive to some...but relative to climatology this is going to be very significant...I know for sure that I would not want to see these departures in January...oh wait, we already have this year.

Well said! I'm pumped about the blast and the possibilities of wintry precip it brings this early in the season. Never liked eating turkey in shorts!

Well said! I'm pumped about the blast and the possibilities of wintry precip it brings this early in the season. Never liked eating turkey in shorts!

euro ensembles continue the strong blocking with a trough in the East over the next 15 days. That's as far as the model runs. Almost to thanksgiving

euro ensembles continue the strong blocking with a trough in the East over the next 15 days. That's as far as the model runs. Almost to thanksgiving

Remember when the only people who mentioned the polar vortex was all of us nerds

Yep.  The media overdid it terribly.  People were really thinking it was THE polar vortex that was in the United States and there even started to be panic.  Not quite sure who started it, but my vote if for Al Roker.

Nothing ridiculously cold per 00z Euro ensemble members for KCAE.  15/16th time-frame may dip into the mid-upper 20s around Rock Hill though.  Quite a while away.

Looks like the cold is pushed back a couple of days on the Euro, starting to really look like winter now! Everything is 10 days+ away

Huh?  The Euro is still showing the arctic front making it through the SE next Thursday/Friday, which is only 5/6 days away.  

Huh? The Euro is still showing the arctic front making it through the SE next Thursday/Friday, which is only 5/6 days away.

Yes, that shot is becoming short lived, warmup by Sunday . Guess I meant the next bigger one behind it, just too much variation from run to run and model to model. I guess pattern change is so big, the models can't get a grip. What happened to the wintry precip threats. , are they gone or delayed

I thought the Euro looked very cold at the end of it's run. You have a very dense cold airmass dropping in with 534 thickness dropping into Alabama. You're also seeing extremely cold 850's showing up near central Canada with -20 850's around Ohio. While these cold air masses may moderate by the time we get to them the fact is on the models it's looking like the middle of January. These look straight up like winter patterns. I think that's what's so exciting right now. What actually happens is a whole nother story. 

Archived