• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

The Euro is showing a bit more rain for the SE than the GFS.  Here's the HPC forecasted precip through day 7. 

There has been a lot of talk about how dry the east has been and that must mean Nino is failing....not so sure....per CPC maps, the fall is usually dry on east coast, wet in Apps/Tn Valley.  Then doesn't get wet in the east until DJF.  So far the fall is shaping up as the SON shows.

post-2311-0-08969100-1415623640_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-04454300-1415623703_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-76751000-1415623706_thumb.pn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone make some sense out of this tweet and graphic from JB?

Impressive for Atlanta where avel winter high about 11C Lots of snow and cold. looks more like what PHL would be like pic.twitter.com/CUDubX43Ra

Just looking at the graph it would be natural to draw a correlation between how cold it gets during the season to snow falling. So there is a really high chance for snow to fall when it gets below 11c? lol I have no clue. 

I'm trying to understand the green bars which is supposed to be snow in mm/hour?

This looks like a fancy Farmer's Almanac prediction! The graph is supposed to tell us which days it's supposed to snow in Atlanta, and how much they will get. I'm sure that these predictions have a very low verification.

My guess is that the model predicts it will be very active shortly after the temps bottom out around New Years...maybe a couple small events with a moderate event in the middle.

I also noticed the model showing a bigger event in February...maybe that event signals the start of another pattern change as we hit the back end of winter?

My guess is that the model predicts it will be very active shortly after the temps bottom out around New Years...maybe a couple small events with a moderate event in the middle.

I also noticed the model showing a bigger event in February...maybe that event signals the start of another pattern change as we hit the back end of winter?

Basically.

This is the Brazilian model Joe loves to show since it covers a few months. If you look back through his Twitter feed you'll see similar graphics to the one packfan posted. It shows Atlanta staying in the 30s or below from January 10th-ish to February 20th-ish, which is certainly a cold signal! It also has some snow around the first day of spring! :lol:

Here's the site if you want to take a gander at it: http://clima1.cptec.inpe.br/gpc/pt

Previsao Numerica is the tab you click on to look at some of the models available. It would also help to click on the American flag to see it in English. haha! I'm not sure how it verifies, though.

The Meteograms are available on the right hand side of the page, but they only seem to be for Brazil itself, which makes sense. Another reason why Weatherbell is the way to go for maps (although TropicalTidBits is gaining, IMO). I wish I had a subscription... :(

EDIT: Here's a link to the Brazilian Meteogram he posted back in October: https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/524236759501373440/photo/1 This will help clarify the 11C part. It's interesting to note here that the model did pick up on a dip in temperatures around the 11th-ish of this month and another one to kick of December, which is what the one Packfan posted showed. 

I tried to look at it, but the maps looked warm to me.  I don't think I'm doing it right. :(

I can't read Spanish so I can't navigate the site.  I was just referring to the meteogram looking at exact dates and precip.  Overall that meteogram was a cold signal that looked pretty. :)  That makes the Euro season LR model not sting quite as bad to me.

I can't read Spanish so I can't navigate the site.  I was just referring to the meteogram looking at exact dates and precip.  Overall that meteogram was a cold signal that looked pretty. :)  That makes the Euro season LR model not sting quite as bad to me.

Oh, I thought you were looking at one of the maps.  Yeah, the meteogram looks good.  Hopefully, next month, the Euro seasonal will look better.

AH HA!!!! Found it!!! Now we don't have to rely on Joe to get the Brazilian Meteograms. :D

Click on Global Acoplado T062L28. Then, where it says cidades, go to the bottom and click on US-Atlanta (or whichever one you want). 

My work here is done. :)

That's pretty cool.  It looks like Atlanta will be getting more snow than Washington, DC.  Wouldn't that be funny?

The ridge is in the central part of the US, the Alaska low is not over the Aleutians, it's in/south GOA.  Back everything to the west it would be great.

Reverse that. ;) This is showing anomolies, which means those are ridges in the Aleutians and off the East Coast and near normal heights over the US. 

Here we go again...

THE NCEP CENTERS (AND NESDIS) AT NCWCP ARE EXPERIENCING A NETWORK
TYPE OUTAGE.. TECHS ARE WORKING ON THE ISSUE AND CURRENTLY WE ARE
NOT SURE OF A RESTORATION TIME. WE HAVE INTRANET ACCESS.. WE HAVE
YET TO VERIFY IF THE NCEP WEB PAGES ARE ACCESSIBLE OR NOT BY THE
OUTSIDE USERS/CUSTOMERS.. MORE TO COME..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

If it's from Brazil then it's in Portuguese. Not that it should make you trust it more, just, you know...the more you know ;)

Archived