• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

What is the optimal time for fall seeding?  What type of prep work is typically needed for this?

TIA

End of  Sept beginning of  Oct. but  I'd  do it  in the  Spring  not the  fall. If you  want  to  do it the right  way   go  rent  a  core aerator and  set  it  at   2 inches. Then your  going to  want  to  get  a  slice  seeder and  over seed. Don't  waste your  money  and time  with seed  from any of the  box  box  stores, it's  junk. Find a  Valley  Green  store and  get  the Dark  and Durable seed mix. This is the only  seed I have used in the last   4   years and every  lawn I  redo or  put  comes in great and the  color  is  awesome. I'll take a  pic  of  my lawn  tomorrow and  post  it. http://www.valleygreenusa.com/

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got home from Acadia. Awesome place.

Have some cucs in the garden that loomlk like squash lol. Completely yellow and about 3x the optimal size

The cucurbits have no shame, though I've never seen the effect in cukes themselves. More often I've grown a "pumpkini", an extra fat zucchini-shaped fruit that turns yellow/orange. Did you use only store-bought seed? Saving seeds from the cucurbit family is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.

End of  Sept beginning of  Oct. but  I'd  do it  in the  Spring  not the  fall. If you  want  to  do it the right  way   go  rent  a  core aerator and  set  it  at   2 inches. Then your  going to  want  to  get  a  slice  seeder and  over seed. Don't  waste your  money  and time  with seed  from any of the  box  box  stores, it's  junk. Find a  Valley  Green  store and  get  the Dark  and Durable seed mix. This is the only  seed I have used in the last   4   years and every  lawn I  redo or  put  comes in great and the  color  is  awesome. I'll take a  pic  of  my lawn  tomorrow and  post  it. http://www.valleygreenusa.com/

Thanks!!

Anybody know a good crab grass killer other than Quinclorac? Is it a good time to do it?

I had success with Acclaim (fenoxaprop ethyl) when it got out of hand a couple of summers ago.  It will not kill your grass and should take care of it.  Not sure how easy it is to buy though - take a look this link

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/03101.html

Thanks guys.

Well I put a late season green-up down so hopefully rain tomorrow.

Just an echo to the other posters--you can use roundup for things growing through cracks in the pavement, driveway, etc.  Works well for that.  Do no put it on your lawn.  It's a carpet-bombing vegetation clearing thing. 

Maybe I'll use that and save a few bucks.

Use selectively and reseed; despite what other posters have said, it is the easiest and most reliable option. Get a good (or basic) garden rake, rake out dead turf, and lightly water reseeded area(s) for 6-8 days.

Mike ,  here  is  what the Dark  and Durable from Vally  Green looks like. First   pic  is  from  June 25th. Second one if  from  yesterday. The  spot in the  2nd  pic  is  from  dog  piss

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/KartAnimal29/20140625_201546_6_bestshot_zps2r7ngkgd.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/KartAnimal29/20140811_134215_zpse45x81rj.jpg

Use selectively and reseed; despite what other posters have said, it is the easiest and most reliable option. Get a good (or basic) garden rake, rake out dead turf, and lightly water reseeded area(s) for 6-8 days.

It is easy and reliable, round-up is great at killing everything. just be careful when using it in the lawn, as the chemical can reside in the soil for some time. unless you really rake it in real good, any new seed may not come in real well for several weeks.

personally i would not use it on the lawn unless I was completely re-doing a large area, and would use a roto-tiller

It is easy and reliable, round-up is great at killing everything. just be careful when using it in the lawn, as the chemical can reside in the soil for some time. unless you really rake it in real good, any new seed may not come in real well for several weeks.

personally i would not use it on the lawn unless I was completely re-doing a large area, and would use a roto-tiller

You can use glyphosate and reseed in a day. You are thinking of selective herbicides containing 2,4-D.

awesome, would love to know what you have in there as perennials that can be easily maintained (i.e. would not have to removed in the winter months) TIA

There actually aren't any perennials in those photos, it's all annuals and gets ripped out each fall.  Going by family history, I'll be physically able to design my gardens about 22 more times before I die, so I really don't want to look at the same arrangement more than once.

I find the majority of perennials don't really bloom long enough, plus I have a lot of mice/moles that enjoy wrecking plants over the winter.  Some exceptions I do have are for various colors of coneflower, liatris, and delphinium. 

You can use glyphosate and reseed in a day. You are thinking of selective herbicides containing 2,4-D.

Once glyphosate comes in contact with soil, it adsorbs to soil particles and is rendered totally inactive, a property that can be problematic in forest use - any turbidity in the mixwater and you're wasting your time and money. The current Roundup has a 2nd active ingredient (related to Paraquat, I think) that enables the customer-satisfying quick brown-up but is a non-factor in the long run. I use a much cheaper knock-off brand called Eliminator, 41% glyphosate (tops I've found for Roundup in the big box stores in 18%) plus a surfactant and water.

I don't know how Garlon (triclopyr) works on crabgrass, but it won't harm your lawn grass.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived