Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, with high dews comes t-storms which keep the lawn lush. Funny the COC crowd complains their lawn is dry but then bashes the high dews

As stated many times, rain or storms are welcomed to break the cycle. Getting no rain with all the humidity gets old. Dews will and always suck. I'll take a little dry grass any day over last summer.

As stated many times, rain or storms are welcomed to break the cycle. Getting no rain with all the humidity gets old. Dews will and always suck. I'll take a little dry grass any day over last summer.

true true, I'm just trying to push buttons :). I agree though, the reason I like high dews is because it usually brings storms, w/o storms it is rather useless.

My 1983 Ariens mower has been on life support. It has some sentimental value because it was my wife's grandfathers and I loved him like my own.It truly is a testament to old American companies when a 1983 mower was still running like a champ in 2014.  Sadly those companies are all but gone.  

Saturday it started blowing oil out the air filter which is usually a blown headgasket.  Went to Home Depot and Lowe's for the benefit of my wife knowing full well I was going to the Power equipment store and getting a real one.

Came home with a Honda HRX217.  Bit skeptical about the composite deck but it has a lifetime warranty.  Twin blades hugely cuts down on the amount of grass that is bagged. It also had adjustable bag/mulch. So I can bag 75% and mulch 25%.  I didn't opt for the $100 electric start option.

IMAG0401_zpseorr82pu.jpg

IMAG0402_zpsgxtdmbki.jpg

My parents still have an Ariens snow blower from like 1980..lol. I feel like my Dad when I say this because I remember rolling my eyes when he used to say it...but they certainly don't make things like they used to. But hey, I'm impressed those 12 yr olds in China know how to put machines together!

My parents still have an Ariens snow blower from like 1980..lol. I feel like my Dad when I say this because I remember rolling my eyes when he used to say it...but they certainly don't make things like they used to. But hey, I'm impressed those 12 yr olds in China know how to put machines together!

Morrisons Power Equipment in Plymouth is a DANGEROUS place.  They have 10 different models of Ariens snowblowers , from $3k to $700.  Think I could pay them $100 a month on layaway so my wife doesn't know.

I have a Craftsman that sucks compared to my neighbors Ariens.

My dad's Craftsman Trac-26 snowblower, purchased about 1990, was a great machine which I inherited upon his passing in 1993 - brothers in VA and SoCal had no interest.  However, its drivetrain failed at the end of the busy winter of 2007-08 - several bushings and washers came apart, and a considerable search found most to be no longer available.  The engine was still first-pull reliable, so I gave it to a friend who has real mechanical ability (unlike me.)   That critter seemed a lot more rugged than the Craftsman I bought early in 2011.

I'm still using the circa-1975 Agway 3-horse front end tiller that my dad gave us when he no longer wished to deal with a front-ender.  Have to baby it a bit, but it digs just fine.

Morrisons Power Equipment in Plymouth is a DANGEROUS place.  They have 10 different models of Ariens snowblowers , from $3k to $700.  Think I could pay them $100 a month on layaway so my wife doesn't know.

I have a Craftsman that sucks compared to my neighbors Ariens.

I have an Ariens now...works great and plows through wet snow. I love it.

My dad's Craftsman Trac-26 snowblower, purchased about 1990, was a great machine which I inherited upon his passing in 1993 - brothers in VA and SoCal had no interest.  However, its drivetrain failed at the end of the busy winter of 2007-08 - several bushings and washers came apart, and a considerable search found most to be no longer available.  The engine was still first-pull reliable, so I gave it to a friend who has real mechanical ability (unlike me.)   That critter seemed a lot more rugged than the Craftsman I bought early in 2011.

I'm still using the circa-1975 Agway 3-horse front end tiller that my dad gave us when he no longer wished to deal with a front-ender.  Have to baby it a bit, but it digs just fine.

Pretty cool. I'm not a small engine guy at all....but it's more or less the Carbs that are a PITA with the older machines it seems.

I have a 45" wide troy bilt with 4 tires, cheaply built but it runs and does my long driveway

Wow that's wide. That's what she said.

I bought an Ariens "low-end" sno-tek 24" when I moved into my new house. Got me through the blizzard on one pass, and everything else. Hopefully it lasts, but for $600 it was worth a shot and has been great for two seasons.

My 1983 Ariens mower has been on life support. It has some sentimental value because it was my wife's grandfathers and I loved him like my own.It truly is a testament to old American companies when a 1983 mower was still running like a champ in 2014.  Sadly those companies are all but gone.  

Saturday it started blowing oil out the air filter which is usually a blown headgasket.  Went to Home Depot and Lowe's for the benefit of my wife knowing full well I was going to the Power equipment store and getting a real one.

Came home with a Honda HRX217.  Bit skeptical about the composite deck but it has a lifetime warranty.  Twin blades hugely cuts down on the amount of grass that is bagged. It also had adjustable bag/mulch. So I can bag 75% and mulch 25%.  I didn't opt for the $100 electric start option.

IMAG0401_zpseorr82pu.jpg

IMAG0402_zpsgxtdmbki.jpg

Looks nice--good luck with it.

My blower is a Craftsman.  I think it's coming up on its 5th season--I'm finding it hard to fathom the time has passed that quickly.  I must be getting old.

I give it a mixed review.  I had one of the clutch cables snap once.  Also, while it has an electric start, at one point I went to do a pull start and managed to snap the pull cord.  But, I do like Sears at-home service (which is not just for their products) a whole lot.

My blower is a Craftsman. I think it's coming up on its 5th season--I'm finding it hard to fathom the time has passed that quickly. I must be getting old.

I give it a mixed review. I had one of the clutch cables snap once. Also, while it has an electric start, at one point I went to do a pull start and managed to snap the pull cord. But, I do like Sears at-home service (which is not just for their products) a whole lot.

A lot of craftsman power products are rebadged poulan pro or cub cadet I think, granted poulan is now owned by husky so I tell people I own a "trickle down technology" husky. ;)

Wow that's wide. That's what she said.

I bought an Ariens "low-end" sno-tek 24" when I moved into my new house. Got me through the blizzard on one pass, and everything else. Hopefully it lasts, but for $600 it was worth a shot and has been great for two seasons.

Yeah you won't have any problems with it, everyone I know still has their parents ariens, pay what you get for usually

IMAG0401_zpseorr82pu.jpg

IMAG0402_zpsgxtdmbki.jpg

Well you won't have to worry about the deck rusting out, They don't make then like they use to, Had a 22" self propel Toro that that half the deck rotted and had to scrap the mower after 5 years

My blower is a Craftsman.  I think it's coming up on its 5th season--I'm finding it hard to fathom the time has passed that quickly.  I must be getting old.

I give it a mixed review.  I had one of the clutch cables snap once.  Also, while it has an electric start, at one point I went to do a pull start and managed to snap the pull cord.  But, I do like Sears at-home service (which is not just for their products) a whole lot.

Not good news.  One thing I like about my current "less rugged" Craftsman is that, to date, I've never had to use the electric start, even with temp near zero.  Though the old Trac-26 would start first pull in the fall, when the temp was under 20 it generally required the added crank-speed of electric.

I am not a carpenter but decided this year to put a 12 by 12 addition to the existing deck with a landing to a ladder at the above ground pool with steps to the back yard. I wanted no help, just had my wife hold some 4 bys level but did the whole project alone. Frame is double 2 by 10 by 12 with 11 joists with the frame carriage bolted . It came out decent, about 95% done. Will stain in a couple of months after PT dries.

0805141638.jpg

0805141642a.jpg

I am not a carpenter but decided this year to put a 12 by 12 addition to the existing deck with a landing to a ladder at the above ground pool with steps to the back yard. I wanted no help, just had my wife hold some 4 bys level but did the whole project alone. Frame is double 2 by 10 by 12 with 11 joists with the frame carriage bolted . It came out decent, about 95% done. Will stain in a couple of months after PT dries.

0805141638.jpg

0805141642a.jpg

Nice! How long did it take? I'd like something like that to put a jacuzzi on. Did you use the prefab railings and steps from home depot?

0805141638.jpg

0805141642a.jpg

Nice, Steve--quite the project!!

Archived