• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

Lol I thought everyone had the wrong kind of grass or something. I've seen some areas in Glastonbury where everybody's lawn looks 75% like that. Nasty stuff, does it actually harm the grass?

Not at all. it's just a fungus..but it makes folks think their lawn is dry or burning..when in actuality it's been too wet down in the root system.  It usually comes and goes by mid to late June. Weird things happening this year. it really hasn't been wet..but it may be a function of the  late winter/early spring..and then cool moist mid spring

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things:

1)Red thread running rampant this year. It's even hit my yard..awful

2)Gonna be a big acorn year..they are already coming down and squirrels are up in trees chewing off the little branches and when they come down are loaded with little acorns

3) Does anyone in SNE have any flowers on their hydrangeas this year? Around here they are half the height they usually are with no flowers. The frigid winter killed them to the ground. When i was in FMH last week, theirs had flowers, but small ones..nothing big like you usually see

i cut my hydrangeas back every year, new growth this year came from below the ground. usually i get new growth from pruned stalks. flowers just started to appear in the last week or so. but overall size of plants is small. 50% of normal. no red thread here, been too dry except for arthur (~4"). one interesting thing, i had grub problems even though i put down merit in june. the arthur rains really soaked it into the ground and i noticed that grub damage has stopped and reversed since arthurs rains FTW

Couple things:

1)Red thread running rampant this year. It's even hit my yard..awful

2)Gonna be a big acorn year..they are already coming down and squirrels are up in trees chewing off the little branches and when they come down are loaded with little acorns

3) Does anyone in SNE have any flowers on their hydrangeas this year? Around here they are half the height they usually are with no flowers. The frigid winter killed them to the ground. When i was in FMH last week, theirs had flowers, but small ones..nothing big like you usually see

yup. They actually have just come out in the last week or so. The plants are not getting as big as last year, but still big enough for all of them to flower

Looks super.  My cukes are having a hard time, but quickies like arugula have been on the table for a couple weeks and the green beans are starting to bloom.  Lots of green tomatos as well.

Thanks, Yeah, I have a ton of green tomatoes as well, The beans are climbing and over shooting the trellis and starting to blossom as well, The Jap beatles love those bean leaves, Going to dust them with some sevin once it stops showering They don't bother with any of my other plants so we will let them be the sacrificial lamb for now............ :)

post-1154-0-24382000-1405446542_thumb.jp

Planting in bins can really accelerate the process some, Its a good year overall for gardeners with ample moisture

I think it's due to the soil warms in the containers faster vs the ground so it accelerates root growth. Warm weather plants have always seemed to mature faster vs the ones I plant in the ground

I think it's due to the soil warms in the containers faster vs the ground so it accelerates root growth. Warm weather plants have always seemed to mature faster vs the ones I plant in the ground

That is the exact reason besides the fact that I am using a well drained potting mix and not soil that needs to be worked, There is a wicking chamber in ea bin as well and the plants uptake the water as needed

Is everything late this year or on schedule?

Maybe a week behind last year on average for most plants.  It's hard to tell because while some are flowering later, they have grown way taller than ever before.

Some plants are acting a little odd-- my saucer magnolia has set about 10 buds that are currently opening.

Maybe a week behind last year on average for most plants. It's hard to tell because while some are flowering later, they have grown way taller than ever before.

Some plants are acting a little odd-- my saucer magnolia has set about 10 buds that are currently opening.

The high dews this month seemed to have really sped the foliage back up to normal

this has been a great year for my garden. We have harvested strawberrys, which came in very nice. We have also grown a ton of lettuce which also came in great. We have been picking broccoli for about 2 weeks now. We have been picking cucs for about a week now. We have had a few tomatoes ready, i suspect a lot more will be ready to harvest in about 2 weeks. Peppers are also coming along pretty nicely, similar timeline to the tomatoes on those. Zucchini is also getting picked, and we have multiple squash on the way as well.

Absolute crabgrass carnage out there right now. Any place that Dimension didn't get down or may have been slightly washed away, crabgrass is growing by the second. Backyard is fine. Front yard is a mess. Especially by the street. 

Interesting conundrum for next year . I have irrigation and doing my Lesco myself.  My neighbor uses a local lawn fertilizer service.  All in, they are exactly the same price as doing it myself. You get more visits for the lawn service. 

His lawn looks better than mine and I have irrigation. He doesn't.  Not having a comparison contest but it seems the better value to have someone else do it.

Absolute crabgrass carnage out there right now. Any place that Dimension didn't get down or may have been slightly washed away, crabgrass is growing by the second. Backyard is fine. Front yard is a mess. Especially by the street.

Interesting conundrum for next year . I have irrigation and doing my Lesco myself. My neighbor uses a local lawn fertilizer service. All in, they are exactly the same price as doing it myself. You get more visits for the lawn service.

His lawn looks better than mine and I have irrigation. He doesn't. Not having a comparison contest but it seems the better value to have someone else do it.

What's the point of having a lawn if you aren't going to dump money on it in wasteful efforts?

Interesting conundrum for next year . I have irrigation and doing my Lesco myself. My neighbor uses a local lawn fertilizer service. All in, they are exactly the same price as doing it myself. You get more visits for the lawn service.

His lawn looks better than mine and I have irrigation. He doesn't. Not having a comparison contest but it seems the better value to have someone else do it.

I'd continue to do it yourself. Some of those grass companies can really destroy your lawn. A lot of them don't know what they are doing. Have you ever seen those high end neighborhoods where every house has a service ? They are always burned out to a crisp very early in the season. It's due to over application . You may have a bit of crabgrass, but if I recall you put the Dimension down very early. It's not supposed to go down until mid to late May. You want it to last and be effective in July and August when the crabgrass grows. Putting it down early you lose all it's effectiveness

• 2 weeks later...

Archived