CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I might just say, "whatever will be..will be" to my lawn next year. I'm not sure if it's worth the investment. Not after this summer.

you need irrigation. my dad put a lot of time and money into his lawn, and almost every year it would get torched and would get all kinds of weeds. he had irrigation installed a couple years ago, and now has the nicest lawn in the hood. his system covers almost 3/4 acre, and was under $2k installed.

you need irrigation. my dad put a lot of time and money into his lawn, and almost every year it would get torched and would get all kinds of weeds. he had irrigation installed a couple years ago, and now has the nicest lawn in the hood. his system covers almost 3/4 acre, and was under $2k installed.

Well that's gonna wait I got other stuff that takes priority over that. Most summers have some dry spells in between storms, but this is the driest I can remember. 

Well that's gonna wait I got other stuff that takes priority over that. Most summers have some dry spells in between storms, but this is the driest I can remember. 

yeah i hear you on the priorities. it is tough to justify spending that kind of cash on something that only makes the lawn look nice (but you wouldnt have to water plants either). its just as hard to bust your ass trying to get the yard looking nice when it all goes to sh*t mid-late summer

yeah i hear you on the priorities. it is tough to justify spending that kind of cash on something that only makes the lawn look nice (but you wouldnt have to water plants either). its just as hard to bust your ass trying to get the yard looking nice when it all goes to sh*t mid-late summer

My yard is tough  because I got ledge hiding in certain areas which further dries it out, I'm finding. Also...I probably would need a well. That's a lot of water to pay for. 

Death would be good, but even if they relocated I would be happy.  I have always heard/ read that grub treatment helps move them along.  I wouldn't even know where to begin to trap the f*ckers.  There are no visible holes, just tunnels that they may or may not use again.

Worms  are the main diet  of  moles, I never  heard that   about grub  control. Guess I've been lucky  with not  having to  deal with them  but I'm  sure  if you   look  up mole trap on YouTube  you'll find the  answer to how  to  get  them. I  do  know tho  that   traps  are the only  way  to  get  rid  of them

I lived in Weymouth for 15 years of funding the MWRA. Had a nice lawn for a few years but $2000 water bills killed the lawn. I rent the house out now and have  an outsde watering ban 365 days a year. Mulch and Roundup are far cheaper. Buy a boat and enjoy the water, that's why we live on he SS.

Boat would be nice...someday.

Worms  are the main diet  of  moles, I never  heard that   about grub  control. Guess I've been lucky  with not  having to  deal with them  but I'm  sure  if you   look  up mole trap on YouTube  you'll find the  answer to how  to  get  them. I  do  know tho  that   traps  are the only  way  to  get  rid  of them

Talk to the "lawn expert" who started this thread.

Talk to the "lawn expert" who started this thread.

LOL I  have  spent the last   25 years  working on  Golf  Courses  from NJ  to Maine and have  learned  a  lot  from superintendents.

Read  this  when you   get   some time. I'm  sure  it  will help you out

There are no chemical solutions to a mole problem and trapping is the most reliable method of control.

http://www.themoleman.com/control.htm

Some trees on campus are almost completely bare already. Leaves were baking on the ground the last couple days. Really weird too see a tree almost bare already, stressed or not

Saw a lot this past weekend up here starting to shed pretty good, Also a lot more color starting to appear

Well that's what I mean. Using all that water would be added on to sewer as well as the water bill.

You can get a seperate meter installed for outside watering. You'd have to pay for the install, but wouldn't be charged sewer fees for this

line

Ignore that. It appears they banned 2 meters years ago. I should have put one in when I had a chamce...

http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20091204/News/312049713#312049713/?Start=3&_suid=1409824746328005206620353532182

Have not done a thing with my lawn in about 2 months except cut it a couple times.  Was going to cut it this past week but my lawnmower decided that it was going to stop running after 10 years,  Going to borrow the neighbors this weekend.  If I know there is rain on the horizon I will put down some fertilizer but it will not help much.  I'm guessing 50% of my lawn is now crispy.  Don't have irrigation nor do I have the time to move hoses around to water anymore.

Archived