• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

I need to put some grass seed down... any suggestions on what to get or any tips? 

Have a pretty big patch in the front yard that's dead thanks to an ugly grub infestation from before I moved in. Also have a few small spots in the backyard that the dog has dug up. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to put some grass seed down... any suggestions on what to get or any tips?

Have a pretty big patch in the front yard that's dead thanks to an ugly grub infestation from before I moved in. Also have a few small spots in the backyard that the dog has dug up.

I had good luck with the Lesco grass seed I got from the John Deere store. Make sure you get a starter fertilizer too....that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. One thing I recommended is make sure you really loosen up the soil before putting seed down. It really helps get the roots established, especially if previous soil is really packed down. A good inch at least of loose soil.

Go to  Valley  Green on the  Plainville  Southignton Line, just  off of town line  rd, and  get   some dark and durable seed. Last  I priced it out it  was 1.89  a  pound. You  will have to  buy a  50lbs  bag of  it tho  but it  is the best  seed  around. Jim is a  great   guy   down there and is  very knowledgeable. If the  area isn't that   big I have  about  10lbs left   that  you  can try  out. If  you buy  a  whole  bag  you   can overseed your  place  next  spring with   what  you  have left over. I  promise you'll be  very happy  with it. I've   done  3 yards  with it  this  season and  all 3  customers are  very happy  with the  way it  came in and the dark color.  http://www.valleygreenusa.com/

I had good luck with the Lesco grass seed I got from the John Deere store. Make sure you get a starter fertilizer too....that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. One thing I recommended is make sure you really loosen up the soil before putting seed down. It really helps get the roots established, especially if previous soil is really packed down. A good inch at least of loose soil.

i would add its easier and you'll get better results if you just buy some top soil from HD or Lowes (or your favorite local garden center) and spread that over the bad areas (i 've tried to seed the damaged area directly with mixed results). its cheap HD has some stuff thats a buck 50 per 50lb bag- doing the same thing myself over the next couple of weeks

Go to  Valley  Green on the  Plainville  Southignton Line, just  off of town line  rd, and  get   some dark and durable seed. Last  I priced it out it  was 1.89  a  pound. You  will have to  buy a  50lbs  bag of  it tho  but it  is the best  seed  around. Jim is a  great   guy   down there and is  very knowledgeable. If the  area isn't that   big I have  about  10lbs left   that  you  can try  out. If  you buy  a  whole  bag  you   can overseed your  place  next  spring with   what  you  have left over. I  promise you'll be  very happy  with it. I've   done  3 yards  with it  this  season and  all 3  customers are  very happy  with the  way it  came in and the dark color.  http://www.valleygreenusa.com/

Thanks for the help - appreciate it!

Is now a good time to plant seed, or should we wait until early October?

i think labor day weekend is the perfect time. soil temps are still high, warm days and cool nights. when i had a lawn, i always wanted to get it down early enough so that there would be enough time for the seedlings to start growing before the leaves started falling. if you wait until october you may not see much growth this year, but the seed will still be there and will grow in the spring.

Traps  are the only  way  to  get   rid of moles

Death would be good, but even if they relocated I would be happy.  I have always heard/ read that grub treatment helps move them along.  I wouldn't even know where to begin to trap the f*ckers.  There are no visible holes, just tunnels that they may or may not use again.

Archived