Newest Member
    CHSVol
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fall feeding. I  did all of mine  last  week

Talked with one of the high end landscapers who had two aerators on the back of his truck.  I did my own aerating last year and he's going to come over and do it this year with a slicer seeder.  My version of overseeding is walking around with handfuls of grass seed.  We talked about fertilizer program and he admitted that he's getting he same Lesco product I am.  He's not buying any "high test" versions.  So I'm sticking with doing my own fertilizing next year. 

Talked with one of the high end landscapers who had two aerators on the back of his truck.  I did my own aerating last year and he's going to come over and do it this year with a slicer seeder.  My version of overseeding is walking around with handfuls of grass seed.  We talked about fertilizer program and he admitted that he's getting he same Lesco product I am.  He's not buying any "high test" versions.  So I'm sticking with doing my own fertilizing next year. 

People that pay for a service to do their lawns = not as good as doing it yourself. I've never understood why people don't do it themselves..other than lazy

Just  throwing the  seed on the  ground  without  opening it  up is a  waste, nothing  will grow. The  seed needs to be in contact  with loose  soil. Aerating then  slice seeding  will get   you  the  best  results

Is it bad in the back yard? I had pretty good luck loosening up the soil with a steel rake and putting seed down.Of course it died in the drought..lol, but it took well.

I'm splitting hairs.

Here's a question about snowblowers for the winter.

Ariens has a 30" "Platinum" snowblower and 24" Professional High Output with a bigger engine for the same money.  Do you sacrifice the clearing width for the bigger engine?

I've been looking at ariens as well, my 24" craftsman just isn't cutting it especially when I get home from plowing 24hrs plus. I want a 28" or 32" and between the "deluxe" and "professional" there seems to be quite a different in the units as well as the price. I don't think you want to give up any horsepower especially here in New England with our mix events.

That's nuts. Exactly the reason I'm selling my craftsman and going with an Ariens.

I used an Ariens last year and there's no comparison.

I have  been doing this  to  friends blowers  for a while now  and they  all can't believe  the  difference.  Make  sure you   use a  thick  piece  of rubber like  a tractor  trailer  mud  flap. NAPA  sells  them for like  10  buck

Here's a question about snowblowers for the winter.

Ariens has a 30" "Platinum" snowblower and 24" Professional High Output with a bigger engine for the same money. Do you sacrifice the clearing width for the bigger engine?

You want the bigger engine. The power of the engine is what clears the snow, not the width of machine.

You want the bigger engine. The power of the engine is what clears the snow, not the width of machine.

Agreed.  You get a foot of dense snow and the underpowered machine will only handle a 15" swath anyway, no matter how wide the opening is.

Skipped thru the modification video, but it solves what in my experience has been a non-problem.  Since I inherited my dad's Craftsman Trac-26 in 1994 (done in by 07-08 due to failure of power train between engine and clutch wheel, with parts no longer available.  Replaced in early 2011 with a wheeled Craftsman 26".), I've yet to have a clogged chute.  Even in Maine we get some pasty stuff, and while the worst of it reduces throw distance, there's never been a hint of a clog.  The current machine tosses snow 15-20' in calm air (upwind is another story), and that's all I need.

Archived