• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

First world problems. Just as my irrigation was finishing up this morning, the sky opened.  Drives me nuts.

you need one of those newfangled controllers that is wifi enabled. It knows when it is going to rain, so it will not turn on the irrigation. cool technology. Of course, that technology is depending on the forecasting technology lol

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you need one of those newfangled controllers that is wifi enabled. It knows when it is going to rain, so it will not turn on the irrigation. cool technology. Of course, that technology is depending on the forecasting technology lol

They make these wifi controllers for BBQ smokers too.  Turns a fan on when the temp gets too low. Stokes your fire and warns you if you run out of wood.

Level of want high

http://www.amazon.com/RainMachine-Forecast-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Controller/dp/B00CT5PNBU

Same out here.  Stupid white pines.

Goes nice with the mushrooms as well.  It seems like thousands of little brown ones (I mow ~3 acres).

I have a horrible mole problem this year.  Usually they are around in the early spring then leave but they are hanging tough this year.  What is the best way to get rid of them, traps?  I don't have time to hunt them down with shovels.

they've been destroying my yard too! (if you could call it a lawn). Been finding a lot of dead ones also...strange

I figured I would pose this on here instead of the June thread...more of a pool question.

Still having floating white stuff on the pool surface. We just have a 3000 gal or so Intex above ground and have never seen it

Small 1-3 mm clumps of grains that are white. Just on the surface. Lots of pollen on sides of pool ( scrubbing that today) Hoping it is just pollen and not white tissue mold

I figured I would pose this on here instead of the June thread...more of a pool question.

Still having floating white stuff on the pool surface. We just have a 3000 gal or so Intex above ground and have never seen it

Small 1-3 mm clumps of grains that are white. Just on the surface. Lots of pollen on sides of pool ( scrubbing that today) Hoping it is just pollen and not white tissue mold

add algaecide

The farmers welfare program strikes again. Mower is toast. Carb clogged with ethanol gunk. You can no longer hold gas cans.

This is happening twice a year now. Rather than spend the $100 going to attempt to clean it myself this time.

I try putting marine stabilizer in during the off season, but is it ok to put it in with the gas you use?

I try putting marine stabilizer in during the off season, but is it ok to put it in with the gas you use?

absolutely. i highly recommend it. you won't want to use as much as you do for storage. i usually used 1 oz per 5 gallons, but check the label. i would also recommend using a higher octane gas (mid-grade (89)) is good.

The best way to take care of small engines is to simply run them out of gas at the end of the season.

i don't agree. there will be some fuel in the bowl which will dry out completely, leaving residual crap in the bowl. i always drain the tank and leave some in the tank. what is left i add stabilizer to and run until the stabilizer has made it through the carb. you can tell when the engine starts running rough.

then at the beginning of the next season, fill the tank with good fuel to dilute the stabilizer. should be good to go.

with all that said, people do it both ways (tank emptied, and tank not emptied) and people report good results either way. 

Any pics of the flora? I might have to stop by and say hi with my wife since she loves tropical plants.

This is my 5th year of doing tropicals and it's by far the slowest start ever... just too dry with miserably cold nights.  Not too much to see now but if you're passing by you are always welcome to stop in.

You should definitely stop by sometime between July 20th and August 20th to see things at their best.

I'll throw up a pic a later if I can find my camera.

The farmers welfare program strikes again.  Mower is toast. Carb clogged with ethanol gunk.  You can no longer hold gas cans.

This is happening twice a year now.  Rather than spend the $100 going to attempt to clean it myself this time.

Get  some Ethanol  Shield.  I  own a  small landscape  bizz and have been running this  stuff in  everything  for  2 years  now  without  any  carb  problems. I  can  go out in the garage  right now  and  start my  snowblowers on the  first   pull and the bowls are  still full of  fuel. There  mechanic in a bottle  also  works  good. http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/ethanol-shield/

I can't get my chainsaw to run without the choke pulled.  I drained the gas last fall and it was running ok but this year it just won't run.  I even went so far as to get a can of the premix fuel/oil just in case it had something to do with my mix or contaminants in the gas can.  Bad spark plug maybe?

I'm guessing the carb is gummed up.  Get that cleaned and you should be good to go.  You can try the plug first, it is cheap and much easier than cleaning the carb.

Get  some Ethanol  Shield.  I  own a  small landscape  bizz and have been running this  stuff in  everything  for  2 years  now  without  any  carb  problems. I  can  go out in the garage  right now  and  start my  snowblowers on the  first   pull and the bowls are  still full of  fuel. There  mechanic in a bottle  also  works  good. http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/ethanol-shield/

The mechanic in a bottle gets great reviews.

I can't get my chainsaw to run without the choke pulled.  I drained the gas last fall and it was running ok but this year it just won't run.  I even went so far as to get a can of the premix fuel/oil just in case it had something to do with my mix or contaminants in the gas can.  Bad spark plug maybe?

If it starts and won't run without choke, you have a carb problem. needs to be pulled and cleaned, and might need to be replaced. might be cheaper to replace if you can't clean it yourself.

some possibilities if it won't start:

-not getting fuel-gummed up carb

-no spark-bad spark plug

-no spark-bad safety/on off switch

-no spark-bad ignition coil

-not getting air-dirty air filter

I use 93 octane as well.

A co-worker just had his fairly new chainsaw lose compression; estimated bill is $250+, if it is even worht fixing.  He used 93 octane gas and put in an additive (not asure which one), and never mixed more than a gallon at a time so storage time was lowered.  He's heading for the AUG airport to seek ethanol-free avgas.

Dirty carb, Running on the choke is tel tale for this

Archived