joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cleared and back bladed with a bobcat about an acre of land on my property.  tractor supply has 50lb bags Kentucky-31 fescue for $50, the reviews seem good for less than ideal soils like mine, has anyone had any experience with this? Is it really necessary for me to rake the seed in? Or can I just spread it on top?  I don't feel like raking for an eternity...and it doesn't have to be a perfect lawn, just something that would become a field eventully.  its in full sun

My wife was searching through my phone for kid pictures when she saw the Lawn stryper.. "WTF is a lawn stryper". Facepalms all around. I also acquired an edging attachment for my weedwacker.  Makes perfect edging lines. 

Was out cutting the lawn nude this weekend. 79 degrees no humidity and sunny. 

Will start growing the grass long for the annual 4th of July croquet tournament. I'll cut fairways into the yard with greens where the wickets go.

3C3A7952-BC07-41F8-841F-65F03FF7421F_zps

00B90615-2110-4118-B11D-DFEEBFB95144_zps

3647E318-3FAA-4128-A79C-A8792619B1D7_zps

I just cleared and back bladed with a bobcat about an acre of land on my property.  tractor supply has 50lb bags Kentucky-31 fescue for $50, the reviews seem good for less than ideal soils like mine, has anyone had any experience with this? Is it really necessary for me to rake the seed in? Or can I just spread it on top?  I don't feel like raking for an eternity...and it doesn't have to be a perfect lawn, just something that would become a field eventully.  its in full sun

I did a similar project a couple years ago.....cleared out a wooded areas that I was converting to lawn.  I used a "West County mix" that I picked up from the local Agway.  It had rye, fescue, and kbg, maybe something else.  If I recall, the Rye was a fast growing one that would help it get established quickly  and then the others would come in to fill it out.  Over time, these more desirable grasses would take over.  Two seasons later, that area is by far the best lawn I have.  We'll see how the newly seeded areas around the pool compare.

I did not rake the seed in.  I really had not time to spend doing that.  My biggest fear was having a heavy rain that would wash the seed away.  Managed to avoid that.

My wife was searching through my phone for kid pictures when she saw the Lawn stryper.. "WTF is a lawn stryper". Facepalms all around. I also acquired an edging attachment for my weedwacker.  Makes perfect edging lines. 

Was out cutting the lawn nude this weekend. 79 degrees no humidity and sunny. 

Will start growing the grass long for the annual 4th of July croquet tournament. I'll cut fairways into the yard with greens where the wickets go.

3647E318-3FAA-4128-A79C-A8792619B1D7_zps

The place looks great.  One blemish though--is that a leaf on the brickwork next to the truck?  Ghastly..... :)

My brother-in-law used to live in Duxbury on Amado Way (?).  Is that near you?

The place looks great.  One blemish though--is that a leaf on the brickwork next to the truck?  Ghastly..... :)

My brother-in-law used to live in Duxbury on Amado Way (?).  Is that near you?

Amado way is on the other side of town. We looked at a house on that street. Big $.

I have to nuke the bricks with roundup.

with such a large area, i would consider hydroseed.

if you do seed it yourself, it is best to rake it in, however you could use a roller to get good soil contact

White pine, and farther north, red spruce for the yellow-green haze - nasty. One breezy late-June week at Deboullie (public ownership 20 miles SW of Ft.Kent) the east end of the larger ponds had red spruce pollen washed several inches thick and a yard or two wide - and smelly, like rotten potatoes.

Amado way is on the other side of town. We looked at a house on that street. Big $.

I have to nuke the bricks with roundup.

No need from that picture--it really  looks great.

Not even Ginx could top this photo.

LOL.

Looks like the sun's going to be breaking through the haze here.  Should be a lawn-growing fiesta incoming.

Archived