joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first picture (if I post things right) is what the following lawn area looked like 3 years ago.  I had already taken down a lot of the trees, but obviously there was a ways to go.  The lawn shots are today.

Now, once the eye-sore pool gets done, things will improve.

Great day today.

61.1/41 off a high of 62.7.

Wow pool looks nice. Question though, is there too much shade?

Not at all--the tall grass on the right hand side is where the hayfield begins.  That's too the east and so that area is unobstructed sun until early afternoon.  It then takes a couple hours for the shade to work its way over.  So, it's a perfect sun/shade mix area.  I would daresay it's the best lawn area on the property.  We'll see how the areas around the pool comes out--my guess is it'll fall short.

The lawn purists would frown upon the amount of weeds in the lawn--lots of clover and other things. 

57.3/39

Wow pool looks nice. Question though, is there too much shade?

Oh--you're asking about shade around the pool--misread it before.  Probably.   It does  gets full sun fr0m 10:00 - 3:00, partial before and after.  I took the picture here around 5:00p.m. 

The Mrs. would  have me take down more trees, but despite the fact that I'm always taking some down, I'm pretty discriminating on which ones.  I tend to go deeper into the woods when I cut, incrementally building out lawn.  My approach is to clear out 1) dead/dying trees, 2) younger trees that are poorly spaced, and 3) larger trees that may be crowding out ones that may grow to be giants. 

I won't be alive to see them as giants, but I hope at some point in years to come, people may look at them and say "wow--those are some big trees".  There's a line of giant maples along the road with two huge ones sitting in front of the house.  We have a pretty detailed history of the house, and one thing is a letter from the son of the first owner (the parson of the Congregational Church) written around 1820.  He references the line of maples he planted and what monsters he hoped they'd grow to be.  He did a great job--perhaps I can do similar.

Thanks.

My other project right now is an outdoor shower and walkway in the back.  Heavy heavy nude beer drinking in the shower. (yes I know the post is crooked).  Trex decking. Red cedar walls over PT.  Going to cut the rails off my deck so the kids can go from the beach to the shower to the house.  I need 5 day weekend.

A0AC28F0-3084-4E70-91CF-0DAC02829D05_zps

Thanks.

My other project right now is an outdoor shower and walkway in the back.  Heavy heavy nude beer drinking in the shower. (yes I know the post is crooked).  Trex decking. Red cedar walls over PT.  Going to cut the rails off my deck so the kids can go from the beach to the shower to the house.  I need 5 day weekend.

A0AC28F0-3084-4E70-91CF-0DAC02829D05_zps

That outdoor shower will be good for Wiz.

Archived