joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a fantastic picture--what did you take that with?

Thanks! It's a Nikon 1 J1 that we bought used from a friend...standard 10-30 lens. I like to think I have a bit of an eye for photography...but I have little technical knowledge. Still very much a point and shoot kind of guy. Glad I got a good one though!

New garden in, yard of compost shoveled,lawns mowed,new gorilla cart assembled, old camper sold and delivered, so this is a day off summer style ,can't wait for ski season,lol

Sweet, I got my garden finished up this past weekend, Good thing i don't have to wait for the soil to dry out i would not have one at all

Sweet, I got my garden finished up this past weekend, Good thing i don't have to wait for the soil to dry out i would not have one at all

Finished?  Seems early if there's tender plants involved, though maybe not for your microclimate.  I pondered starting my sequential plantings of green beans yesterday (we prefer eating them uncooked, throughout the season) but held off due to the forecast - thankfully so, as today's cold rain is a real seed-rotter.  Tomatoes/peppers - maybe this coming weekend; they should stay safe on my porch for Thursday morning's slight chance of frost at my place.

Almost no blackflies so far.  Usually they arrive mid-month and are decreasing and turning the field over to mosquitos and deerflies by now.  I don't know if they're waiting for some sunny 70s to swarm out and make up for lost time, or if it's truly a super-light year for the critters.

Finished?  Seems early if there's tender plants involved, though maybe not for your microclimate.  I pondered starting my sequential plantings of green beans yesterday (we prefer eating them uncooked, throughout the season) but held off due to the forecast - thankfully so, as today's cold rain is a real seed-rotter.  Tomatoes/peppers - maybe this coming weekend; they should stay safe on my porch for Thursday morning's slight chance of frost at my place.

Almost no blackflies so far.  Usually they arrive mid-month and are decreasing and turning the field over to mosquitos and deerflies by now.  I don't know if they're waiting for some sunny 70s to swarm out and make up for lost time, or if it's truly a super-light year for the critters.

lol, Its container gardening, My method is a little different and does not rely on soil temps or conditions and is very productive, I have to much clay to ground plant so i have used this proven method, Have it down to a science.

photo52_zps9ace02b3.jpg

photo53_zpsb9f08882.jpg

photo54_zps7d67c67c.jpg

lol, Its container gardening, My method is a little different and does not rely on soil temps or conditions and is very productive, I have to much clay to ground plant so i have used this proven method, Have it down to a science.

photo52_zps9ace02b3.jpg

photo53_zpsb9f08882.jpg

photo54_zps7d67c67c.jpg

Looks great.  I'd guess that 6" of well-composed cow dressing dug into your clay-rich soil would make it work fine, but probably nowhere near as productive per unit area as what you've set up. 

Looks great.  I'd guess that 6" of well-composed cow dressing dug into your clay-rich soil would make it work fine, but probably nowhere near as productive per unit area as what you've set up. 

Thanks, The best part of all is there is never a need to do any weeding as well which makes it all that much more enjoyable, Here is a pic of my tomatoes last year they were 7'+ at the end of the season

photo48_zps4db2d4c9.jpg

I've been researching lawn striping systems this morning which has lead me to a Toro 30" timesaver mower with a $100 lawn striping kit.

It's time for heavy heavy stripes.

They make them for both hand mowers and tractor mowing decks if your into stripes that i have seen

Nice--so how does it work, do you do things twice? First to mow the grass and then to stripe it?

They make a roller that mounts on the mower and deck that has a spring tensioner so it's all done on each pass, it mounts on the front of the mower or deck the kit that I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They make a roller that mounts on the mower and deck that has a spring tensioner so it's all done on each pass, it mounts on the front of the mower or deck the kit that I have seen

Sent from my iPhone

So is it lifted on alternating lifs?    I'd screw that up, lol.  Most of my mowing is not linear (trees, rocks, gardens) so I don't think a striper would look good here.  Perhaps I'm wrong though.

So is it lifted on alternating lifs?    I'd screw that up, lol.  Most of my mowing is not linear (trees, rocks, gardens) so I don't think a striper would look good here.  Perhaps I'm wrong though.

No, You mow one direction on the 1st pass, And the opposite on the next and then keep alternating, All it does is press the grass down ahead of it getting cut which gives it the striping affect, There are different kits out their, Some mount on the front, Some on the back of the mower, They are a larger diameter of a rolling pin and length based on the width of your mower

striper-kit05.jpg

post-1154-0-06164000-1401448539_thumb.jp

Think I am starting to get some of that yellow and brown crap on my new grass. Between watering it and the cool wet weather we have had...it's starting to get that fungus I think. It's only in a few spots...but that was not there a few days ago. 

Scott, sounds like it may be the start of red thread, which is pretty common under these conditions. There are products to treat it; see write-up here  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Thread_(disease)

Scott, sounds like it may be the start of red thread, which is pretty common under these conditions. There are products to treat it; see write-up here  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Thread_(disease)

I remember a few lawns had that last year. It's only in the area that has been getting watered frequently. Probably would not have an issue if we had warmer and drier wx. 

Rebuild a lot of planting beds, ripped bushes out and planted new ones. Really coming out nice.

Wow, Scott--that looks fantastic.  You're going to get so hooked on the lawn fun that you're going to lose interest in snow. :)

One thing you might want to check into (it might already have been done) is the two trees that have melded and growing in different directions.  They will come apart--especially at the angles that they are.  You can get a tree person to come in and run a bar to connect the two so that doesn't happen.  Typically, this is done higher up so you don't really notice it.  You certainly notice it less than you would the two trees lying on the ground.

That's a good point, Mike. The one thing that makes me feel better is that we've had some bad storms recently and they are still standing. I suppose it's a good thing, but I agree...probably a good idea to put that bar on. I can't imagine it costing much.

That's a good point, Mike. The one thing that makes me feel better is that we've had some bad storms recently and they are still standing. I suppose it's a good thing, but I agree...probably a good idea to put that bar on. I can't imagine it costing much.

It'll cost a lot less than removing the fallen tree and stump grinding!

Coincidentally, I took down a maple yesterday.  It had started to crack through the center of the trunk at the main trunk/branches junction.  I noticed it two years ago as a line in the trunk that was expanding rapidly in both length and width, being able to see clear through it with the widest portion with about 4" of separation.  I'm not sure what started the split.  I did have lightning explode a cherry tree about 100' from it a couple years ago, but since there was no sign of that one getting hit, I can't imagine that had done it. 

When it fell, the trunk completely split.  As a reference point--the saw has a 20" bar on it and I've already cut off 6' of the trunk.  More firewood for me.

It'll cost a lot less than removing the fallen tree and stump grinding!

Coincidentally, I took down a maple yesterday.  It had started to crack through the center of the trunk at the main trunk/branches junction.  I noticed it two years ago as a line in the trunk that was expanding rapidly in both length and width, being able to see clear through it with the widest portion with about 4" of separation.  I'm not sure what started the split.  I did have lightning explode a cherry tree about 100' from it a couple years ago, but since there was no sign of that one getting hit, I can't imagine that had done it. 

When it fell, the trunk completely split.  As a reference point--the saw has a 20" bar on it and I've already cut off 6' of the trunk.  More firewood for me.

Well, it was me or the tree.  I won.

Also, I posted a picture of my truck bed for Kevin.

Yard is coming together nicely.

A8516CF1-D76D-4E57-9795-536794F46F22_zps

We've had 3 or 4 baby bunnies in the yard. The kids love them. I discovered their time on earth is limited this weekend.  If they weren't sh1tting where they eat, they might've gotten away with it.   Wondering what the best method of taking care of rabbits is?  My .22 is a little aggressive for the lululemon crowd in the neighborhood.

0ACE5542-10A9-45FF-8CB3-88DAB8CE399A_zps

Archived