joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly, we have not had anything of the sort out here this year.  I'm not sure about folks in the valley, but up here we seem to have been pollen-free.  At least of the visible yellow type.

Interesting.  Yesterday afternoon I was looking at the pollen floating in all of the puddles in my driveway. Decent amount.

Spotted a little pollen in the pool Wednesday--not too much though. That's pretty much been the only sign I've had of it so far this year.

I'm really surprised/happy by how the new lawn by the pool is coming in.  I'll need to do some patching due to very heavy rain the day after seeing that washed some seed away.  The cool spring temps and lots of water have it growing like a weed.

The dragging marks are my 1.5 yr olds blankie. The babysitter left the windows open and my entire kitchen looks like this.

lol.

Here's one of the 200-year old maples that line my road.  I had hoped it would last longer, but you can see it's really struggled putting out leaves this year.  Perhaps a good storm will do it in or I'll just need to take it down.  It might be the town's responsibility--I'll need to measure the distances to the road.  Either way, it'll be sad to see it go.  On the other hand, it'll give me a head start for the 2015-16 wood supply.

We had a sh*tload of rock from putting in the pool.  (mucho extra bucks due to the ledge, ftl!!). 

But, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Or, when pools give you rocks, make a stonewall.  We still have more left for me to do something, but I managed to put in about 125' wall with a walkway and barway along the back line leading to my dogwalk path.  Beats the antique post/barbed wire that had been back there.

Meanwhile--chicken disaster.  Something did a Hogan's Heroes tunnel under the chicken coop and did them all in (I'm guessing a mink or a fisher).  No eggs for us.

Nice, Mike. You build the wall?

Thanks, Scott.  It was a huge pile.

I worked with some hand-lifting.  But most was done buy a guy who's done work for me.  He came in with an excavator.  Given the size of some of these, ,that was essential (I think the largest were about 3' in diameter (or however you'd measure a rock).   It really makes me wonder who the farmers managed to do it back in the day.

Meanwhile, my wife came into the family room last night holding the final pool bill.  FTL!  lol

We had a sh*tload of rock from putting in the pool. (mucho extra bucks due to the ledge, ftl!!).

But, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Or, when pools give you rocks, make a stonewall. We still have more left for me to do something, but I managed to put in about 125' wall with a walkway and barway along the back line leading to my dogwalk path. Beats the antique post/barbed wire that had been back there.

Meanwhile--chicken disaster. Something did a Hogan's Heroes tunnel under the chicken coop and did them all in (I'm guessing a mink or a fisher). No eggs for us.

Had a hawk problem here a while back with the chickens. Killed two one day before I could even get outside to scare it away.

Have a dozen at the moment. We have fishers around here as well. We went with a coop that's solid wood all the way around so stuff can't get in. No issues yet, only the hawk those times

Spotted a little pollen in the pool Wednesday--not too much though. That's pretty much been the only sign I've had of it so far this year.

I'm really surprised/happy by how the new lawn by the pool is coming in.  I'll need to do some patching due to very heavy rain the day after seeing that washed some seed away.  The cool spring temps and lots of water have it growing like a weed.

I have had tons of pool pollen this year

Since Kevin has left the building I will anoint myself the King of Lesco. His wasn't that nice anyway :D

Did my first checkerboard pattern gearing up for the 4th of July croquet tournament.  Next week I'll start growing the grass out so I have long rough and then I'll cut my fairways.

3064C042-89D6-4EA3-9565-8B5596A83F16_zps

D9F9B5AF-E8A4-487C-BF17-F3F655311DB8_zps

50A8BC21-C78F-4BA6-964D-DB8130FCE31D_zps

Since Kevin has left the building I will anoint myself the King of Lesco. His wasn't that nice anyway :D

Did my first checkerboard pattern gearing up for the 4th of July croquet tournament.  Next week I'll start growing the grass out so I have long rough and then I'll cut my fairways.

3064C042-89D6-4EA3-9565-8B5596A83F16_zps

D9F9B5AF-E8A4-487C-BF17-F3F655311DB8_zps

50A8BC21-C78F-4BA6-964D-DB8130FCE31D_zps

LOL.  Looks great.

The ridic pollen has finally made its way up here.

Same out here.  Stupid white pines.

Goes nice with the mushrooms as well.  It seems like thousands of little brown ones (I mow ~3 acres).

I have a horrible mole problem this year.  Usually they are around in the early spring then leave but they are hanging tough this year.  What is the best way to get rid of them, traps?  I don't have time to hunt them down with shovels.

Archived