• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

A co-worker just had his fairly new chainsaw lose compression; estimated bill is $250+, if it is even worht fixing.  He used 93 octane gas and put in an additive (not asure which one), and never mixed more than a gallon at a time so storage time was lowered.  He's heading for the AUG airport to seek ethanol-free avgas.

lol, Sounds like he used the additive but forgot the 2 stroke oil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me  and a  buddy  did this  same test in the   garage  on Ethonal Shield  years back and came up  with the  same  results.You  can tell what other brands that  they  are using  from the  shape of the bottles. Ever  since I  started to use it I have had 0  carb  problems.

I tried Sea foam and some other snake oil they were selling at Autozone last night.  Neither worked. It got a tiny bit better.  Would run for 10 seconds before shutting off.

Just got back from Home Depot with two bottles of Mechanic in a bottle and 1 bottle of Ethanol shield. I have an old Ariens where the carb is in the back of the engine. It's not an easy drop out. I really just want to spray the carb out with carb cleaner

I tried Sea foam and some other snake oil they were selling at Autozone last night.  Neither worked. It got a tiny bit better.  Would run for 10 seconds before shutting off.

Just got back from Home Depot with two bottles of Mechanic in a bottle and 1 bottle of Ethanol shield. I have an old Ariens where the carb is in the back of the engine. It's not an easy drop out. I really just want to spray the carb out with carb cleaner

Sea foam is NOT going to be an instant fix, If the jets are clogged carb cleaner is useless unless you can get to the back of the jets to spray them, We tear carbs down all the time up here and it sounds like yours is going to have to come out, We have to use paper clips or a needle to pass thru the back of the jet to clean it,  In most instances the price of jets are cheap so i usually just replace them but you will need a carb kit with all the seats and gaskets which will have them in it if you want to tackle it

Sea foam is NOT going to be an instant fix, If the jets are clogged carb cleaner is useless unless you can get to the back of the jets to spray them, We tear carbs down all the time up here and it sounds like yours is going to have to come out, We have to use paper clips or a needle to pass thru the back of the jet to clean it,  In most instances the price of jets are cheap so i usually just replace them but you will need a carb kit with all the seats and gaskets which will have them in it if you want to tackle it

Grrr. It's a 1979 5 hp Tecumseh. The carb is on the back of the engine unaccessible due to the deck. I need to breakdown half of the engine to get it off.  Grrr. I looked online and I can't even find a carb kit for my model mower its s old.

Just got off the phone with Jacks Small Engines. They don't even make a rebuild kit anymore for mine.

Grrr. It's a 1979 5 hp Tecumseh. The carb is on the back of the engine unaccessible due to the deck. I need to breakdown half of the engine to get it off.  Grrr. I looked online and I can't even find a carb kit for my model mower its s old.

Just got off the phone with Jacks Small Engines. They don't even make a rebuild kit anymore for mine.

If you know the carb model you may be able to find it on amazon or i use repair clinic, They are good for a lot of older appliance and engine parts...............

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tecumseh+carburetor+kit&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=35087611524&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12888413924216986935&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1m166yekq3_b

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts/b329c102/Tecumseh-Carburetor-Parts

Carb is 632524. I've searched them all.

lol, Sounds like he used the additive but forgot the 2 stroke oil

Used the Husky mixing oil as recommended, just mixed a gallon at a  time.

When I ruined the piston on my older Husky, it was from using an "all-purpose" 2-cycle oil.  $120 lesson, plus the saw died about 10 yr later, at a far too young age considering it was only used for working up firewood.

When I ruined the piston on my older Husky, it was from using an "all-purpose" 2-cycle oil.  $120 lesson, plus the saw died about 10 yr later, at a far too young age considering it was only used for working up firewood.

Its amazing that these engines hold together with the high rev rates that they can turn, Does not take much for something to let go and cause a catastrophic failure, 2 strokes will only get so many hours before they need to be rebuilt

All of  my   2  stroke  stuff get's  mixed   around  30:1  or  40:1 , depend  on how much gas I have in the  jug.  I'd  rather  keep putting  plugs in them  then go out  and buy a  new trimmer or  saw that  can  cost   up to  500 bucks

If you have to run a carb on choke its a clogged pilot jet as that is what runs the idle circuit in a carb

Which  would mean it  has to  come  off and be taken  apart. A  good thing  to  keep in mind  would to rinse the  tank out  once in a  while. I used  my trimmers  and blower 4  days  a week and I  clean them out  at  the  end of the  week. It  doesn't take  much in  dirt or  sand  to  clog  a carb up. Also  take the  air  hose to  the  air  filter often

Which  would mean it  has to  come  off and be taken  apart. A  good thing  to  keep in mind  would to rinse the  tank out  once in a  while. I used  my trimmers  and blower 4  days  a week and I  clean them out  at  the  end of the  week. It  doesn't take  much in  dirt or  sand  to  clog  a carb up. Also  take the  air  hose to  the  air  filter often

Yes, The carb has to come apart to unclog the jets, Inline filters do a good job of trapping crap if its possible to use one, Just a particle spec can clog the jet,  But yes, Cleaning the tank periodically is good practice as well as the air filter, I have a 1989 JD 185 hydro tractor that runs year round cutting grass and blowing snow, It gets an oil & filter change every fall along with a new air filter, Its inexpensive maintenance to prevent bigger problems later on

All of  my   2  stroke  stuff get's  mixed   around  30:1  or  40:1 , depend  on how much gas I have in the  jug.  I'd  rather  keep putting  plugs in them  then go out  and buy a  new trimmer or  saw that  can  cost   up to  500 bucks

Better off to rich then to lean in all cases

Tried Mechanic in a bottle. Fail.

Carb comes off tomorrow.  Youtube and an iPad have to be putting a dent in lawnmower repair businesses.  I've forgotten everything I learned in small engine class in high school but youtube brings it right back.

Those are great resources for step by step instructions, The wors't part will be getting to the carb on your mower, The carb itself is pretty basic on that model

Ginx, the algicide did the trick

Perfect pool attm

Any suggestions for frogs?  ridiculous how many little ones we have.  What a racket at night.

My wife thinks that running the aquabot thing every day will kill it in one season.  I would think they're more durable than that.  Any experience/thoughts on that?

Any suggestions for frogs? ridiculous how many little ones we have. What a racket at night.

My wife thinks that running the aquabot thing every day will kill it in one season. I would think they're more durable than that. Any experience/thoughts on that?

Great largemouth bait.

Any suggestions for frogs?  ridiculous how many little ones we have.  What a racket at night.

My wife thinks that running the aquabot thing every day will kill it in one season.  I would think they're more durable than that.  Any experience/thoughts on that?

They make a great french dish, Frog legs, They taste like chicken

Archived