• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

i have used the Ortho brand ivy killer in the past, and it works real well on all ivy's. i used to have poison ivy, and some of what i think was kudzu*. that stuff takes care of it

*not sure if kudzu grows up here, but this was a bunch of vines that grew very aggressively, and would climb any available tree, bush or branch, and wrap itself around it. i would kill it with the ivy killer, then pull it out of the ground. and it still grows back

Sounds like bindweed. Had that in Gardiner and in two years it went from "what is that little plant?" to seeing the whole backyard buried in it. After nuking it with a glyphosate product using a backpack sprayer, I made a pile 10' diameter and 3' tall out of the vines I pulled. I don't think kudzu grows north of the Mason-Dixon line (yet.)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like bindweed. Had that in Gardiner and in two years it went from "what is that little plant?" to seeing the whole backyard buried in it. After nuking it with a glyphosate product using a backpack sprayer, I made a pile 10' diameter and 3' tall out of the vines I pulled. I don't think kudzu grows north of the Mason-Dixon line (yet.)

that sort of looks like it, but have never seen it flower. whatever it is, it sucks

Might actually be bitter nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, which is sometimes caled bindweed because it bears some resemblnace to field bindweed, a relative of morning glory.  One of the pics on the Wiki page for S. dulcamara looks like the critter I had in Gardiner, especially the little red berries.

Might actually be bitter nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, which is sometimes caled bindweed because it bears some resemblnace to field bindweed, a relative of morning glory.  One of the pics on the Wiki page for S. dulcamara looks like the critter I had in Gardiner, especially the little red berries.

i think i found it. oriental bittersweet

http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/water/wmb/vrap/documents/field_guide_vines.pdf

You can't pull up Knotweed. The roots just re-grow a stalk. Even fragments of roots. You have to chemically kill them with high powered round up.

Andrew's secret sauce:  50% glypophosphate cut with a small amount with water. I've also found that Round Up Poison Ivy Killer works well too. Round Up in the spray bottle (3%) doesn't do anything but annoy it.  Brush cut the big stalks and immediately use a back pack sprayer to douse each individual stalk. If you wait too long the knotwood heals itself like the terminator.  

What do you mean by "brush cut"?

Our resident "knotweed slayer" followed the initial herbicide with mowing the resprouts (there's always some, unless one drops a tactical nuke), then a 2nd dose of chemical on the re-resprouts.  Even then there was the occasional escapee.  (This was a huge patch at the Reuben Colburn house,a historical site - Arnold's march to Quebec - south of Augusta.)

Thanks for the ideas---don't these all kill the lawn as well?

regular Round Up kills everything.

Round Up makes a poison ivy killer (there are other brands as well) which only target ivy-type plants. i have used the Ortho product in the past, it works pretty well, but you have to re-apply a few times to do the job. 

If that's indeed your beast, it's a different noxious weed from what I fought.

yeah i am pretty sure that is the stuff. dad has been fighting it for years in his back yard. i try to spray it a couple times a summer when i am up there. this year we plan to pull out as much as we can by hand. spray first, let it start to die off, then pull it out. whatever we pull out will go in the burn pile.

In my experience, knotweed stands grow so thickly that there is no lawn.  However, where protecting grass is important, choose a triclopyr product (Garlon is the original trade name, there are others with this active ingredient now.)  This is the chemical we use on woods road R-O-W, to protect our erosion-control seeding.

Whether or not they have functioning disorders like OCD and schizophrenia.

When I get into a car with wrappers all over the backseat, dust all over the console and dashboard, grime and sand all over the floormats, and black brake dust on the rims, it tells me it's someone who doesn't take pride in themselves or their car , and isn't a clean kind of person

When I get into a car with wrappers all over the backseat, dust all over the console and dashboard, grime and sand all over the floormats, and black brake dust on the rims, it tells me it's someone who doesn't take pride in themselves or their car , and isn't a clean kind of person

Is it possible you are reading to much into a person based on their car? Lol

For some people it's just a means of transport from A to B. That being said, I personally like a spotless car

it says more about you

Can anyone recommend a good organic fertilizer? I'm trying to stay away from chemicals this year.

Jonathan Green makes a good organic weed control + fertilizer from what I can tell. Corn Gluten is the big ingredient. You can get that stuff at an ACE hardware store.

leave the grass clippings on the lawn after you mow

Yeah...I always do. I didn't fertilize last year, but I wanted to give the thin areas some extra seed and a little fert this year. The front yard is a disaster. When I look out my front window I see what famartin sees in Elko.

Grass clippings shouldn't be left on any lawn unless they are completely mulched into miniscule pieces. And even then I don't recommend it..Unless you want to have a massive thatch problem. Get them off the lawn and let it breathe. All those clippings do is get in underneath the grass and buildup as thatch..

Jonathan Green makes a good organic weed control + fertilizer from what I can tell. Corn Gluten is the big ingredient. You can get that stuff at an ACE hardware store.

Cool...I'll check it out. I had been looking at Ringer lawn restore.

And yeah, I need to choke out some of the wild flowers/weeds so I'll be letting it grow a little longer than usual this year. I'll probably set the riding mower as high as it'll go and just mow relatively frequently.

Grass clippings shouldn't be left on any lawn unless they are completely mulched into miniscule pieces. And even then I don't recommend it..Unless you want to have a massive thatch problem. Get them off the lawn and let it breathe. All those clippings do is get in underneath the grass and buildup as thatch..

Overrated

Archived