joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5th Annual Lawn/Garden Thread warm season 2014

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, but the whole yard certainly doesn't look as nice. We are landscaping a lot of it too, so money will go to that which is more important since the old shrubs etc got ripped out or will be ripped out. Went out yesterday looking for some new bushes/plants.

What are you putting in?

We've put in 10 apples trees during the 5 years we've lived here (with the two that went in last week, I think we're done with those now).  We bought the last three  on-line rather than at nursery.  I am surprised that they are so much nicer than the nursery ones; I'd have expected otherwise.  We've had good luck with bushes from home depot.

We just had a few blue spruces arrive yesterday from an on-line purchase, so I guess there will be some planting going on here this weekend.

What are you putting in?

We've put in 10 apples trees during the 5 years we've lived here (with the two that went in last week, I think we're done with those now).  We bought the last three  on-line rather than at nursery.  I am surprised that they are so much nicer than the nursery ones; I'd have expected otherwise.  We've had good luck with bushes from home depot.

We just had a few blue spruces arrive yesterday from an on-line purchase, so I guess there will be some planting going on here this weekend.

Not sure yet, maybe some azalea, hydrangea, rhody's etc. I did see this Blue spruce type bush that was pretty cool. Also, this juniper that has a yellow tinge to it when exposed to sun. 

Not sure yet, maybe some azalea, hydrangea, rhody's etc. I did see this Blue spruce type bush that was pretty cool. Also, this juniper that has a yellow tinge to it when exposed to sun. 

I wonder what type of bush it is.  We had a wicked tall (60') blue spruce at my boyhood home.  It and a monstrous white oak dominated our yard.  I think I'll be long in the ground by the time these things attain that height.

Just walked around out back pulling up knot weed.  UUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can't pull up Knotweed. The roots just re-grow a stalk. Even fragments of roots. You have to chemically kill them with high powered round up.

You can't pull up Knotweed. The roots just re-grow a stalk. Even fragments of roots. You have to chemically kill them with high powered round up.

Our resident "knotweed slayer" followed the initial herbicide with mowing the resprouts (there's always some, unless one drops a tactical nuke), then a 2nd dose of chemical on the re-resprouts.  Even then there was the occasional escapee.  (This was a huge patch at the Reuben Colburn house,a historical site - Arnold's march to Quebec - south of Augusta.)

Our resident "knotweed slayer" followed the initial herbicide with mowing the resprouts (there's always some, unless one drops a tactical nuke), then a 2nd dose of chemical on the re-resprouts.  Even then there was the occasional escapee.  (This was a huge patch at the Reuben Colburn house,a historical site - Arnold's march to Quebec - south of Augusta.)

Andrew's secret sauce:  50% glypophosphate cut with a small amount with water. I've also found that Round Up Poison Ivy Killer works well too. Round Up in the spray bottle (3%) doesn't do anything but annoy it.  Brush cut the big stalks and immediately use a back pack sprayer to douse each individual stalk. If you wait too long the knotwood heals itself like the terminator.  

Deep deep lawn. Getting tractor back tomorrow and the light rain Thurs nite will wash in Dimension for Friday sun.. Then we mow Saturday in 70's and sun.

image_zpse187425c.jpg

was looking at your photos in Photobucket,check out the pics you took of the Azaleas blooming last year and how far ahead the leaf out was, pretty coolScreenshot_2014-05-05-16-35-48.png

Yeah that is damn cool. I'd say we're about 2 weeks behind schedule or behind last year anyway. Today was the first day I noticed pollen on the truck and the red maples have tiny green buds about to open. Probably this weekend they open. Oaks are a ways away

my absolute favorite day of the spring is the day I first notice all the trees are green, usually all green by May 10-15 ,not happening this year.

Andrew's secret sauce:  50% glypophosphate cut with a small amount with water. I've also found that Round Up Poison Ivy Killer works well too. Round Up in the spray bottle (3%) doesn't do anything but annoy it.  Brush cut the big stalks and immediately use a back pack sprayer to douse each individual stalk. If you wait too long the knotwood heals itself like the terminator.

Find the product with 41% glyphosate. The Monsanto product is Accord (at Agway-like places, not the big box), and has no surfactant - applicators usually add their own choice of surfactant/adjutant to aid leaf penetration. My go-to for small jobs and for hack-and-squirt timber stand improvement is Eliminator, which is the old 41% plus surfactant version of Roundup, and available at Wal-Mart. Current Roundup is not available OTC at that high a concentration (18-20% highest I've noted at Wallyworld), and has a 2nd active ingredient for consumer-attracting quick brown-out.

This  will be my 3rd week mowing but it's only the  customers that   use fertilizer. I've  also   done  mine 2 times so far. I  came  home today  and I seen  my  backyard  took off  pretty  good today as it's always  later then the  front. I need to  send  some  soil  samples to UCONN to  see what's really  going on with the backyard

was looking at your photos in Photobucket,check out the pics you took of the Azaleas blooming last year and how far ahead the leaf out was, pretty cool

not trying to be a jerk know it all, but those are not azaleas , they are a species of rhododendrum (my bad azaleas and rhodies generally same thing - i have always heard them referred to as rhodies, believe these are the shrubs in the pic http://www.naturehills.com/rhododendron-korean). if they were azaleas blooming then the opposite of everything being late would be true. was in providence this weekend and the heat island effect was evident as trees were much farther ahead of where they are on the coast. still some water temps in the 40's  polar plunge for early season swimmers. i won't be one of them

i have used the Ortho brand ivy killer in the past, and it works real well on all ivy's. i used to have poison ivy, and some of what i think was kudzu*. that stuff takes care of it

*not sure if kudzu grows up here, but this was a bunch of vines that grew very aggressively, and would climb any available tree, bush or branch, and wrap itself around it. i would kill it with the ivy killer, then pull it out of the ground. and it still grows back

First mowing of the weeds that are my "lawn" of the year scheduled for tomorrow.

Sounds like we are in a similar boat, my weeds need mowing.

With 13 maples out back, and 8 in front, on a one acre plot...I know a lost cause when I see one. Hoping for some good moss this year.

Archived