• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season Finale :(

Ji

Today's a better air mass than tomorrow. If we get heavy snow at like 33-34 it'll probably stick OK while it's ripping. Roads have almost no shot other than some quick slush maybe. 

During last years march bust storm, I got snow stickage at 33-34 on the road, but only during a very heavy band of snow. This was at like 8 am and of course in early march. The snow began to melt on the road soon after despite moderate snow. I really don't think any snow will stick to the roads, not even slush, unless you have elevation on your side.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question for tomorrow may be dews are supposed to be quite low to start.  MOS underdid that impact last time of course, but raw temps are above freezing as well in this case. It's possible both are too warm should heavy come together though I suppose.  

Wonder if the various DOTs will bother treating the roads in advance of this storm, given their blown budgets and marginal temps.  There's so much sand and whatnot on the roads already that they shouldn't need to.

Doubt roads will be an issue unless temps are below freezing and more than 2 inches fall. If so, we may see another early December event where OPM closes for morning snow and people get mad because it is all gone by the evening.

start time will definitely be important.    NAM doesn't get anything falling until late morning, while the GFS has light precip pretty much on DC's doorstep at 12z.   The NAM has been a few hours slow with getting precip to the ground in several events this winter, and the simulated reflectivity product has often been a better tool in assessing onset.   The 12z simulated reflectivity suggests a timing more similar to the GFS.

Wonder if the various DOTs will bother treating the roads in advance of this storm, given their blown budgets and marginal temps.  There's so much sand and whatnot on the roads already that they shouldn't need to.

It won't accumulate on the roads with or without salt.  Sun angle and above freezing temps will take care of that.  

It won't accumulate on the roads with or without salt. Sun angle and above freezing temps will take care of that.

Last mar 25 nothing really stuck to the roads in the city at least or it was gone by the time I saw it just after sunrise. No way Feds will close tomorrow.

Last mar 25 nothing really stuck to the roads in the city at least or it was gone by the time I saw it just after sunrise. No way Feds will close tomorrow.

Absolutely no way, but I'd settle for a telework option day, as opposed to a 68-mile round-trip commute, since folks here drive like crazy-folk when it snows.  But even a t-work day looks like a low prob.

0.2" something qpf on the NAM.  Setting the model temps aside for a minute, the dew points hang around or just below freezing most of the day.  Should be enough to whiten the grass and mulch.  Ocean City, 6"+.

Some might say that's impossible! 

Archived