joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Season Finale :(

Ji

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea why it says season finale. We thought that in early Feb.

We are a snow town anyways.

we haven't had 1"+ in DC in April since 1924 at least officially.. odds are probably pretty poor this is the year.

Euro ens shows a solid -nao d8-15. GEFS says -ao coming in early april. The odds are low but tc's are starting to look interesting.

can't completely rule it out.. especially NW but I certainly wouldn't expect more than dusting or so IMBY once April starts. we're about to enter needing -30 departures during the day for anything meaningful heh. we have seen very light april snow more recently like in 2007. that may have been close to 1" in this part of DC.. wasn't here for that one, but dropped 0.4" at DCA. it does figure we'll get an -NAO too late, not that we needed it.. but maybe it can help screw up severe weather season by locking in.

Yeah Ian I remember that April 2007 clipper well... Dropped a fluffy inch overnight while I lived on Tunlaw

I was in CT for some reason. We got like 10" there. If any year is going to have late snow this might be it.. Just a huge battle.

I was in CT for some reason. We got like 10" there. If any year is going to have late snow this might be it.. Just a huge battle.

Early April 1990 was a nice event but that was at night. Pretty sure DCA recorded something. Afternoon rain changed to snow and lasted into the early morning hours.

Early April 1990 was a nice event but that was at night. Pretty sure DCA recorded something. Afternoon rain changed to snow and lasted into the early morning hours.

0.2".. dulles got 3.8" from that sys.

Sure, appreciable snow can fall in April. This has kind of been our year and if we get a -nao and a storm at the right time maybe. But say it out loud "April snowfall in DC". If you are looking for more than a cartopper, it is going to be a big battle to get it. 

Even Dulles has only passed 1" four times in April since it opened. Those are not very good odds.. except perhaps we're nearing being due.

can't completely rule it out.. especially NW but I certainly wouldn't expect more than dusting or so IMBY once April starts. we're about to enter needing -30 departures during the day for anything meaningful heh. we have seen very light april snow more recently like in 2007. that may have been close to 1" in this part of DC.. wasn't here for that one, but dropped 0.4" at DCA. it does figure we'll get an -NAO too late, not that we needed it.. but maybe it can help screw up severe weather season by locking in.

It is kinda funny that a -nao might come too late but we kicked ass all season so maybe a -nao would have hurt more than helped. If we had big blocking with those cold shots it may have ended up a congrats Atlanta season

I'm in anomalous weather of any kind mode. Whatever gets dished is fine as long as it's interesting. I'm not sure that having a winter full of cold shots means much in April. Quite a bit of hurdles to overcome no matter which year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I doubt April snow correlates with any dominant winter pattern. It's like Oct/nov snow in the east. We get all excited thinking it's an omen for a good year and then we end up torching when it counts

It is kinda funny that a -nao might come too late but we kicked ass all season so maybe a -nao would have hurt more than helped. If we had big blocking with those cold shots it may have ended up a congrats Atlanta season

I'm in anomalous weather of any kind mode. Whatever gets dished is fine as long as it's interesting. I'm not sure that having a winter full of cold shots means much in April. Quite a bit of hurdles to overcome no matter which year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I doubt April snow correlates with any dominant winter pattern. It's like Oct/nov snow in the east. We get all excited thinking it's an omen for a good year and then we end up torching when it counts

maybe for this winter, but maybe it's just next winter showing us its hand    :weenie:

I remember my boss telling me he experienced a 36" heavy wet snow in Boston on April Fools Day a while back...not sure of the date but it was more than 8 years ago.

I remember my boss telling me he experienced a 36" heavy wet snow in Boston on April Fools Day a while back...not sure of the date but it was more than 8 years ago.

april 1 1997, i was going to school 20 minutes west of boston.  Insane heavy paste snow, it also snowed for about 30 hours.   I remember hearing the forecast the night before and thinking it was an April Fools Day joke on the radio, it had been about 70 degrees a day earlier.

april 1 1997, i was going to school 20 minutes west of boston.  Insane heavy paste snow, it also snowed for about 30 hours.   I remember hearing the forecast the night before and thinking it was an April Fools Day joke on the radio, it had been about 70 degrees a day earlier.

Here's the wikipedia article, pretty insane. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fool's_Day_Blizzard

The norlun trough angle on the NAM doesn't really have any support. I'd be skeptical it's real. We almost never see that down here for one.. more common PHL and northeast.

Someone told me Snowgoose in NYC said it never happens south of Philly, but I know that's not correct.

No wonder why I don't remember it. I was a kid!

Pretty unique event for everyone affected. Areas in Maryland that saw measurable were mostly confined to northern and central areas. Snow in the air may have been seen as far west as Hagerstown. Snow backed into the area from the northeast late in the afternoon and early evening. Snowed moderately to heavily until the early morning hours with temps falling into the low to mid 30's. It was also quite windy during the snow and the following day. I got a couple inches in Reisterstown but parts of Northeastern Maryland got a more general 3-6 with some 8 and 10 inch amounts showing up in a few locations.

Pretty sure there were no local forecasters that mentioned the possibility of snow. The Orioles opening day was postponed as a result and played the next day. Temps rebounded quite nicely with sunny skies the next day although strong winds made it feel chilly. Temps were supposed to stay in the 40's but instead they approached 60.

Someone told me Snowgoose in NYC said it never happens south of Philly, but I know that's not correct.

I don't think I've ever seen it happen here (since 2006) but my memory is foggy with that stuff.  Even up north it's not all that common.

Archived